What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragons4me

Juniors
Ronnie was most likeable in my opinion, as to his knowledge of the game it was good enough for the 9 network to renew his contract season after season .

I believe one needs to judge the pros and cons of each of the said individuals , Ronnie had a speech impediment whereas Rex was pro - Manly and Frankie’s rendition of ‘ Irish Eyes are Smiling ‘ proved to be a bit too much for me .
All in all they each had their good points and perhaps not so good .
Yeah Rex was always good for a laugh. He often got the players names wrong during a game. Once on his Sunday morning footy show he unintentionally swore on live TV. His stunned look was hilarious. Frank Hyde nearly fell of his chair.

Dragon David

First Grade
Gareth
Here’s one for you and all us old timers
It was great to listen to Frank call that 1977 grand final replay and thanks for sharing OT. So, so glad that we won it. I went to the first game when it was 9 all draw even after extra time. Could only watch the replay on TV.

Ah, that was a good year and being only 30 at that time, life was really terrific.

Cheers OT.

jak

Bench
I was going to mention one of the best - in my humble opinion - and that was Tiger Black , however only we other old oaks would know him .

He brought the listener right into the middle of the scrum - fists with the odd stray boot included !

It was so realistic that I would check myself for any bloodstains after the match ! 🤕
how are you doing mate, tiger black ,now your bringing up memories he was one of my dear old dads drinking buddies.

Dragon David

First Grade
Would you believe that the little lady bought his L.P. for my Christmas present ! However the man did have a beautiful voice and I occasionally listened to the record over the years.
I agree Gareth. I crooned along with him several times when some station put his song on, particularly Danny Boy, which is one of my old time favourites.

Gareth67

First Grade
how are you doing mate, tiger black ,now your bringing up memories he was one of my dear old dads drinking buddies.
Your father was indeed a fortunate man , he certainly would not had been bored having a few schooners with him and undoubtedly left his company with a smile upon his face .

I am well thanks - other than my knee which I managed to twist the other night . Shall see what the doctor says .

Gareth67

First Grade
A bit before my time Gareth but I’ve heard some of Hyde’s calling and he was one of a kind that’s for sure. I grew up on the Decibel Duo, Hartley and Peters and loved their banter and I always thought Hartley was a good caller of the game.
I didn’t mind them either Phantom , I believe that all the commentators had their own character and were undoubtedly far better than the staid commentators of channel 9 .

SGMax

Juniors
Yeah Rex was always good for a laugh. He often got the players names wrong during a game. Once on his Sunday morning footy show he unintentionally swore on live TV. His stunned look was hilarious. Frank Hyde nearly fell of his chair.
Yes, I recall hearing him on radio once discussing gang tackles but off course he got mixed up and said "bang" instead of "tackle". I could hear the others on the radio discussion roaring with laughter.

jak

Bench
lost count of how many times i saw old frank walk out to the sideline with his beloved card table

Dragon David

First Grade
It's good talking about the Old time callers but it shouldn't be under rumours.. You maybe be blocking potential signing rumours. Mmmmm
It generally happens dragon thomo when there is a lull with this Thread and no-one has any rumours to get our hearts ticking faster. I am sure that there is something happening behind the scenes.

Your father was indeed a fortunate man , he certainly would not had been bored having a few schooners with him and undoubtedly left his company with a smile upon his face .

I am well thanks - other than my knee which I managed to twist the other night . Shall see what the doctor says .
It's unfortunate that your inevitable attempt at a celebrational Irish jig ,after our epic win over the Storm, is the likely cause of the knee twist.

Better get Ethel to strap u in Saturday night (Just in case)