What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

in my view the Dragons badly need a top notch prop who can command respect and lead the way forward by his performances .
Great idea but they dont fall from the sky. While the crop of our own emerging junior big boppers are gaining cred someone like RCG will do us nicely. Just wish the BOD wud move its fat cat bum and sign him before the Eels realise they do want him after all.

Draginzaaar

Bench
These days it seems that 5 plays would be the most we can switch out of our squad. But I do believe we are on our way to putting together a good team for 2025. For me, we do need two new props and a stronger spine. In saying that we could go with the following players:

1. Tedesco
2. Allen

3. Suli
4. Holmes
5. Tuipulotu
6. Wishart
7. Flannagan
8. RCG
9. Cook
10. Thompson

11. Leilua
12. Sua
13. De Belin

14. Liddle
15. F Molo
16. T Couchman
17. R Couchman

Priorities Fitness, Speed, and Defence during the off-season, and we should be very competitive in 2025.

Of course, we need to swap out our assistant coaches starting with Dean Young. I am sure Flanno has had some time to think about this.

If Tedesco is leaving the Roosters, he would be a great pickup for us. With Hunt and a few others to move on, we should easily be able to afford the above 7
new players, and 4 of our promising juniors.

Gone 10 Players
Sloan -
Tedesco

Ravalawa - Allen
Max Feagai -
Matt Feagai -
Hunt -
Wishart
Lomax - Holmes
Bird - Cook
Brown -
Lawrie - RCG

BMM - Thompson
RFM -

Great top 17, and a good turnover/cleanout of players.
I'm not sure what planet you are from?

8. RCG
9. Cook
10. Thompson
11. Leilua
12. Sua
13. De Belin

14. Liddle
15. F Molo
16. T Couchman
17. R Couchman

That engine room and bench has far stronger look than what we used this season, but what chance of snaring both those prop imports and bringing Wishart home. Need to pay overs as Storm saying they need Wisho for their depth.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Did anyone see the new ad with Roosters players advertising eating Red Rooster
Them and Melb have a lot of fingers in the pie for paying 3rd party money through advertising.
Although Steggles are a sponsor of Roosters. Do they supply Red Rooster their chickens?
Melb had Tradie, Both Roosters & Melb betting agency advertising + some sprinkling of other higher profile
Dogs pub shares
How many Dragons players do we see get well paid in main media to do..stuff
Instead of just smaller local companies / suppliers. I am sure some of our higher profile (Lomax, Hunt?) are sponsored by big sports brands but you dont see em on TV, PAY TV billboards but we have WIN TV..go figure
Well connected clubs of course do it better. We just dont compete
As perfectly symbiotic as this sponsor sounds for the chooks, the odd part about it is that there is not a single Red Rooster store in Sydney's Eastern suburbs.

The closest being at the airport.

Odd indeed...

dungay dragon

Juniors
Following on from Buzz on 360 last night , with the words on hunt
"if an offer was made for him right now , they would let him go "
That is of course providing Flanno can arrange to bring Wishy back home
Dont be surprised if the Chooks make some discreet inquiries for BH or even Reynolds , with Sam Walker out for the next 12 months... Chooks looking to plug the gap with Keary leaving and Sandon Smith not quite ready ...
There is a real blue bubbling away at the Broncs inv the Walters family against Reynolds and others over criticism aimed at the Coach on MMM Brisbane
Add Wishy to RCG or Thompson and or Gutho and we are certainly heading in the right direction
Think about it..BH is desperate to head back to QLD but if given the opportunity to play in a possible 2025 GF (chooks) it may change his thinking .
All the dominoes could fall into place here
Not as crazy as it sounds

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
I think us getting rid of Hunt for 2025... its difficult because of his salary... but maybe we/they could sort out a 1yr job in 2026 given hes retiring... or some sort of incentive to make up for the salary gap... its possible..

The problem is sourcing a replacement.. we might need to sign a cheapy for 2025.. but we actually need two of them yet.. as we still need injury cover in our squad. Wishart is a 2026 or later signing.. Storm are getting massive value out of him currently... not in their interests to let him go unless hes insisting he wants out...

Parko1310

Juniors
Dont be surprised if the Chooks make some discreet inquiries for BH or even Reynolds , with Sam Walker out for the next 12 months... Chooks looking to plug the gap with Keary leaving and Sandon Smith not quite ready ...
There is a real blue bubbling away at the Broncs inv the Walters family against Reynolds and others over criticism aimed at the Coach on MMM Brisbane
Add Wishy to RCG or Thompson and or Gutho and we are certainly heading in the right direction
Think about it..BH is desperate to head back to QLD but if given the opportunity to play in a possible 2025 GF it may change his thinking .
We're a fair way short of a 2025 grand final. I'd love it, but it's just about a million to one. Our roster still needs so much work. Mainly, we need to get rid of players under contract that no one else wants which is going to be so difficult to do. Idiots like Haran dressed up re-signing Lawrie and Ravalawa after just casually handing them 3 year extensions. He and people at the club genuinely thought these were good retentions. How incompetent. Under contract next year, for mine, we need to cut Lawrie, Ravalawa, M Molo, Fifita + Bird, freeing up 5 roster spots and giving us some breathing room (we currently can't sign anyone after we announce RCG I don't think - top 30 full).

IF we can do that, we have a chance for vast improvement, but we'd still fall short of a GF, because who's to say we land our targets? Prior evidence suggests we don't land all of them - potentially we don't land most of them. This is a recruitment staff issue, a GM issue, and a board issue the club fails to address because 'the club' will end up pointing the finger at themselves. They would have to know they're the issue, they're just selfish.

That said, if we were to free up five roster spots, I think we still need another outside back, at least one half, at least one more prop (after RCG), probably a lock too (Huth has declined beyond belief throughout the year, would love to have him around the squad but he's no more than a sporadic squad player), and possibly a fullback to compete w Sloan that can play a couple of positions. There's a lot of players that will hit the market, but who will we get? We need to be very proactive, but our club is the opposite.

In an ideal world, I think if we could get a few of the likes of Averillo (may be squeezed out of Dolphins), moving Val to wing, Fogarty (actually will be off contract from November 1 because of a CO for 2026), one or a combination of 2 of Thompson/Neame/NAS, maybe a Kobe Hetherington for a short-term lock solution, and someone like Kaeo Weekes for that fullback competition spot (can also play halves), then only then would we be going for a top 4 spot realistically. An unbelievable amount of fortune needs to go our way for that to happen. As Flano said earlier in the year, he's really squeezing the lemon on the current roster. We desperately need some quality to complement his work ethic, so for me, the names there are top priorities. I just have no confidence we'll be ruthless/smart/competent enough to make anything even close to that happen

dungay dragon

Juniors
We're a fair way short of a 2025 grand final. I'd love it, but it's just about a million to one. Our roster still needs so much work. Mainly, we need to get rid of players under contract that no one else wants which is going to be so difficult to do. Idiots like Haran dressed up re-signing Lawrie and Ravalawa after just casually handing them 3 year extensions. He and people at the club genuinely thought these were good retentions. How incompetent. Under contract next year, for mine, we need to cut Lawrie, Ravalawa, M Molo, Fifita + Bird, freeing up 5 roster spots and giving us some breathing room (we currently can't sign anyone after we announce RCG I don't think - top 30 full).

IF we can do that, we have a chance for vast improvement, but we'd still fall short of a GF, because who's to say we land our targets? Prior evidence suggests we don't land all of them - potentially we don't land most of them. This is a recruitment staff issue, a GM issue, and a board issue the club fails to address because 'the club' will end up pointing the finger at themselves. They would have to know they're the issue, they're just selfish.

That said, if we were to free up five roster spots, I think we still need another outside back, at least one half, at least one more prop (after RCG), probably a lock too (Huth has declined beyond belief throughout the year, would love to have him around the squad but he's no more than a sporadic squad player), and possibly a fullback to compete w Sloan that can play a couple of positions. There's a lot of players that will hit the market, but who will we get? We need to be very proactive, but our club is the opposite.

In an ideal world, I think if we could get a few of the likes of Averillo (may be squeezed out of Dolphins), moving Val to wing, Fogarty (actually will be off contract from November 1 because of a CO for 2026), one or a combination of 2 of Thompson/Neame/NAS, maybe a Kobe Hetherington for a short-term lock solution, and someone like Kaeo Weekes for that fullback competition spot (can also play halves), then only then would we be going for a top 4 spot realistically. An unbelievable amount of fortune needs to go our way for that to happen. As Flano said earlier in the year, he's really squeezing the lemon on the current roster. We desperately need some quality to complement his work ethic, so for me, the names there are top priorities. I just have no confidence we'll be ruthless/smart/competent enough to make anything even close to that happen
Parko
Was referring to the Roosters and a likely 2025 GF Appearance , as a way of enticing Hunt and picking up his contract ..
Desperate measures result in desperate actions
Hec we are years off

possm

Coach

I am sure recruitment or the Head of Football does not have the authority to hand players signed 3 year contracts. Surely the head coach and CEO, or at the Dragons , the BOD would have to clear such a move.

However, you are right about how ridiculous these signings are. In my opinion, Haren and the whole recruitment team need to be sacked and the BOD should convey it's displeasure to the CEO.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Think about it..BH is desperate to head back to QLD but if given the opportunity to play in a possible 2025 GF it may change his thinking .
Buzz saying this is a Flanno ‘put it out there message’ let’s see if there are any takers

possm

Coach
Parko
Was referring to the Roosters and a likely 2025 GF Appearance , as a way of enticing Hunt and picking up his contract ..
Desperate measures result in desperate actions
Hec we are years off
Great idea, if the NRL allows them to do this. I think it is more likely that we swap Hunt for Rynold in 2025.d For Wishart to return home, he would have to press Melbourne very hard to release him.

BLM01

First Grade
As perfectly symbiotic as this sponsor sounds for the chooks, the odd part about it is that there is not a single Red Rooster store in Sydney's Eastern suburbs.

The closest being at the airport.

Odd indeed...
Steggles the major sponsor supply a lot of wholesalers / retailers
Dont forget the corporate acumen and power of their owner and BOD including Bouris and Fennessy
Again we just dont quite compete

Latest posts