What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Bruce Gordon retires age 95
Found this article from the Financial Review and not one mention in it of WIN Corp shares of the Dragons. Poor petty Dragons, boo hoo!

It would have been so good had that Sydney Kings owner , Smith, bought that 50% instead of the uninterested owner Brucie.

possm

Coach
Found this article from the Financial Review and not one mention in it of WIN Corp shares of the Dragons. Poor petty Dragons, boo hoo!

It would have been so good had that Sydney Kings owner , Smith, bought that 50% instead of the uninterested owner Brucie.
Doust and Young were the main negotiator for the St Goege in this deal. Smith offered 5m more than WIN/Gordons.

TheRev

Coach
I have concluded that although Flanno is a good coach, he is not a good recruitment manager.
It's a tough one.. I feel like Flanno was previously the coach of a premiership winning side where he had more power in negotiations.. and tbf he built that roster himself.. but perhaps in a time when players were easier to obtain.. maybe his philosophy that worked then combined with the situation our club is in.. is incompatible..plus he had Gallen.. he had his captain.

But tbf.. it does genuinely seem like players and player managers really just use us to get contracts elsewhere.. we really are the last ditch location.. its almost pointless even chasing popular players, other than to ensure they dont sign elsewhere for unders. i.e. It really may just be that until we improve this roster and play finals, we are going to have to settle for scraps.

Definitely need a new GM or recruitment manager in to help.. maybe that person think outside the box a little.. or if nothing else... to be a sounding board for Flanno.. because he doesnt have anyone respectable around him in terms of staff bar maybe Young..... I dunno.. even if it was someone charismatic who can maintain relationships with player managers.. not that Flanno cant do that.. he could easily do it... but there are only 24hours in a day.. and hes got a more important job to do as his main focus.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
It's a tough one.. I feel like Flanno was previously the coach of a premiership winning side where he had more power in negotiations.. and tbf he built that roster himself.. but perhaps in a time when players were easier to obtain.. maybe his philosophy that worked then combined with the situation our club is in.. is incompatible..plus he had Gallen.. he had his captain.

But tbf.. it does genuinely seem like players and player managers really just use us to get contracts elsewhere.. we really are the last ditch location.. its almost pointless even chasing popular players, other than to ensure they dont sign elsewhere for unders. i.e. It really may just be that until we improve this roster and play finals, we are going to have to settle for scraps.

Definitely need a new GM or recruitment manager in to help.. maybe that person think outside the box a little.. or if nothing else... to be a sounding board for Flanno.. because he doesnt have anyone respectable around him in terms of staff bar maybe Young..... I dunno.. even if it was someone charismatic who can maintain relationships with player managers.. not that Flanno cant do that.. he could easily do it... but there are only 24hours in a day.. and hes got a more important job to do as his main focus.
If the Board does not or will not hire a professional recruitment officer, then now that Webb has moved on, also move on Horan, Millward, and Millard and give Flanno the delegation to recruit players with the salary cap as the limit to his spending. The Board should have Ben Creigh work with Flanno to make things easier.

TheRev

Coach
If the Board does not or will not hire a professional recruitment officer, then now that Webb has moved on, also move on Horan, Millward, and Millard and give Flanno the delegation to recruit players with the salary cap as the limit to his spending. The Board should have Ben Creigh work with Flanno to make things easier.
I thought for sure Haran would be gone by now.. im still hopeful but the weeks are rolling by..

Millard I would imagine was on a 12mth contract.. but could be wrong.. Mill(w)ard I dont know if he still has any say in anything.. hopefully not... still dont like seeing his face in videos though.

I cant imagine the CEO appointment would affect who Shane hires and fired in his football dept.. and I also cant imagine he didnt work out his prospects during the year..

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I thought for sure Haran would be gone by now.. im still hopeful but the weeks are rolling by..

Millard I would imagine was on a 12mth contract.. but could be wrong.. Mill(w)ard I dont know if he still has any say in anything.. hopefully not... still dont like seeing his face in videos though.

I cant imagine the CEO appointment would affect who Shane hires and fired in his football dept.. and I also cant imagine he didnt work out his prospects during the year..
I assume Haran's contract runs out this year, if it's the same as players, contract ends 31st October and won't be signed up again so may just be announced then..

possm

Coach

I'd say the question would go from Flanno to Horan to Webb to the Board and the reply in the reverse direction.

Let Flanno recruit the players as long as he stays within the confines of the salary cap. If this is done, we should have quicker and better results.

Has done nothing for us hopefully he sells his share back to St George or another buyer who will actually help.
We should form a company issue 100,000 shares @ $500 per share.

Raise $50M

By out both sides

install serious people to run the Club & smash the Storm, Penrith, Doggies & Sharks into oblivion