What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Lodge wasn't our first choice.. but we missed the rest (only barely on RCG who i think we chose to target over DSaf).. Lodge showed in the finals he is a starting prop capable of winning against Top 8 sides.. hes a hard man... by no means is he a Top 20 Prop in the game, but you take Lawrie out and put Lodge in, and things look very different.

I looked at his stats this year, he only plays 35-40minutes ever for Manly.. not sure if thats his limit or just the team rotation.. but he only played in 9 first grade games all year.. plus 3 in NSW Cup.. so his injuries are obviously the limiter for him.. but maybe that has helped us pick up a bargain..

For me Lodge is the only non-negotiable of the gutho/jac/lodge trilogy.. I dont think we can compete with the other 16 teams next year without atleast 1 decent prop added.. and hopefully we got him.. if we can get a 2nd.. that would be superb.
he did come from an ACL mid season after 12months

hence limited games and a tough front row combo to crack at Manly on return from a serious injury no doubt managed

I would only want Lodge out there for 35-40mins a game given his role the speed of the game last 12months has been electrifying. I mean the Dogs have generally had a small pack but their line speed in defence has countered their lack of dominant props gaining metres.

I think Lodge if keen to travel.........is an important piece in the puzzle. Maybe one year and a slightly higher $ to make it worth his while......especially given we have a decent sal cap to use for 2025.

Thompson would be ideal for 2026...........cant imagine the knights letting him go for 2025.

I honestly dont mind BMM off the bench for his 20mins like RHunt did for the Sharks each week..........BMM is cheap and still has some speed off the mark for a 115kg player..........this would enable us to go hard with more dollars for our ideal target Leo Thompson for 2026 given BMM would only be a 2025 contract

Biglance

Bench
he did come from an ACL mid season after 12months

hence limited games and a tough front row combo to crack at Manly on return from a serious injury no doubt managed

I would only want Lodge out there for 35-40mins a game given his role the speed of the game last 12months has been electrifying. I mean the Dogs have generally had a small pack but their line speed in defence has countered their lack of dominant props gaining metres.

I think Lodge if keen to travel.........is an important piece in the puzzle. Maybe one year and a slightly higher $ to make it worth his while......especially given we have a decent sal cap to use for 2025.

Thompson would be ideal for 2026...........cant imagine the knights letting him go for 2025.

I honestly dont mind BMM off the bench for his 20mins like RHunt did for the Sharks each week..........BMM is cheap and still has some speed off the mark for a 115kg player..........this would enable us to go hard with more dollars for our ideal target Leo Thompson for 2026 given BMM would only be a 2025 contract
I actually loved BMMs stuff off the bench.

I hope we can keep him around the club, i had been told he would stay on in mentorship role and possible play some Reserves to help the transition of youngsters

TheRev

Coach
Yes there is definitely room for a big man on the bench.. Tonga might be that man by late next season.. and whether we can carry him + 2 couchmans on the bench as well, im not sure.

I think for their age, Toby & Ryan r above expectation.. but if we do sign 2 big experienced middles (plus jack, frank, sele).. thats 5 props not counting the couchies.. meaning 1 or both of them are likely back in reserve grade until we get injuries again.. this is the reason I suspect that they are keen to hold off on the re-contract.. or it could just be money expectations.

But whatever happens with the couchies contracts.. ive stopped worrying about it, what will be will be.. this is Flannos problem to work out... and it wont be easy to juggle them.

Note: Im pretty sure the TomE extension was fake news.. its not on any official challenges.. unless he is hobering around as a backup plan for if they cant secure a 2nd middle.

Biglance

Bench
Yes there is definitely room for a big man on the bench.. Tonga might be that man by late next season.. and whether we can carry him + 2 couchmans on the bench as well, im not sure.

I think for their age, Toby & Ryan r above expectation.. but if we do sign 2 big experienced middles (plus jack, frank, sele).. thats 5 props not counting the couchies.. meaning 1 or both of them are likely back in reserve grade until we get injuries again.. this is the reason I suspect that they are keen to hold off on the re-contract.. or it could just be money expectations.

But whatever happens with the couchies contracts.. ive stopped worrying about it, what will be will be.. this is Flannos problem to work out... and it wont be easy to juggle them.

Note: Im pretty sure the TomE extension was fake news.. its not on any official challenges.. unless he is hobering around as a backup plan for if they cant secure a 2nd middle.
On Tom i wonder if its signed and not registered with the nrl yet as we are keeping spots open to sign marquee like Gutho until we can officially move on other players. If we use all our spots up before being able to move on players then we miss out on the gold because the nrl wont allow a registered contract if you dont have the spots.

Kind of like what i suspect if happening with lodge.

Latest posts