What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The run home.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Even if the Storm hit triple figures against us next week, I still think we're just as much chance of winning the comp now as what we would be then... The best thing is that whatever the result next week we will not play the Storm in a sudden death match before the GF.

Let the Storm massacre us I say and concentrate on beating the Sharks in Week 2. The Melbourne Storm will make the GF. We will only beat them once in the next four weeks... Now is about strategy, as it was in 2009 between Round 26 and Week 1 of the Finals.

After we beat the storm next week, the Sharks will knock them out in week 2

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Melbourne lost a home final to the Warriors a few years ago, so they can underestimate a side.

They also lost home finals to the cowboys in 2015, Knights in 2013 and warriors in 2008 (the first 8th side to win). And they were hot favourites each time!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The storm apart from winning the comp 2012 and their cheating years, do know how to lose a finals match or several as favourites!!

It's supposed to be raining all week in Melbourne.. Could be a bit of a slog-fest!

that could be a big help to us
a wet track would force the eels to put away all the fancy trick shots and go back to the game plan from when we played the bulldogs in the wet a few weeks ago just kick long and tackle hard

TheParraboy

Staff member
Broncos were supposed to smack our asses last week, they were apparently the only side that could challenge the Storm. We destroyed them. Our first half was insane we hardly made an error and were too good for them, despite not receiving a penalty until well into the 2nd half.

We come with that attitude and desire the Storm are in for a huge shock. Wether we can bring our A game to the table is another thing. One thing for sure if we do manage a win down there then we must be in with a serious shot of winning the comp

So, whoever loses next week quite possibly faces a run of Sharks and Roosters to get into the GF, right?

So, if we get up next weekend then there is a pretty decent chance that Melbourne may not make it to the big dance.

Next Saturday is the day. Put it all on the line and then give the Minor Premiers the dreadful run to get a rematch. That's the best plan.

Gronk

Staff member
So, whoever loses next week quite possibly faces a run of Sharks and Roosters to get into the GF, right?

So, if we get up next weekend then there is a pretty decent chance that Melbourne may not make it to the big dance.

Next Saturday is the day. Put it all on the line and then give the Minor Premiers the dreadful run to get a rematch. That's the best plan.
Yes was about to post the same.

Assume Storm gets up at AAMI, we play Sharks the Roosters.

phantom eel

First Grade
Just do our best each week - the order of the opponents isn't up to us, and shouldn't matter to the players.

We have to bank on beating all three during the finals series at some stage if we're going to win the trophy... was great to finish top four and get that second chance if we don't win this Saturday.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If we win, we play the loser out of Broncos vs Roosters, assuming they make it past week 2

If we lose we play the winner of Broncos vs Roosters assuming we make it past week 2

I'd much rather we won , copped the week off and then play a team that didn't.

Last Week

Bench
This is what it looks like from here.

WEEK 2 - Semi Finals
SF1 - Friday night (15th/Sept) - (Loser of Storm/Eels) VS (Winner of Sharks/Cowboys)
SF2 - Saturday night (16th/Sept) - (Loser of Roosters/Broncos) VS (Winner of Sea Eagles/Panthers)

WEEK 3 - Preliminary Finals
PF2 - Friday night (22nd/Sept) - (Winner of Roosters/Broncos) VS (Winner of SF1)
PF1 - Saturday night (23rd/Sept) - (Winner of Storm/Eels) VS (Winner of SF2)

The dates of those games aren't confirmed, but that's how it's been since we brought this finals system back 5 years ago. It'd be surprising if it were different this year.

Last Week

Bench
This is what it looks like from here.

WEEK 2 - Semi Finals
SF1 - Friday night (15th/Sept) - (Loser of Storm/Eels) VS (Winner of Sharks/Cowboys)
SF2 - Saturday night (16th/Sept) - (Loser of Roosters/Broncos) VS (Winner of Sea Eagles/Panthers)

WEEK 3 - Preliminary Finals
PF2 - Friday night (22nd/Sept) - (Winner of Roosters/Broncos) VS (Winner of SF1)
PF1 - Saturday night (23rd/Sept) - (Winner of Storm/Eels) VS (Winner of SF2)

The dates of those games aren't confirmed, but that's how it's been since we brought this finals system back 5 years ago. It'd be surprising if it were different this year.

Was pointed out to me in the NRL forum that this won't work as it will result in the winner of the Sharks/Cowboys having only a 5 day turn around.

So if we lose, we'll be on Saturday night.

And I can't go.

f**k me.

fanool

Juniors
Was pointed out to me in the NRL forum that this won't work as it will result in the winner of the Sharks/Cowboys having only a 5 day turn around.

So if we lose, we'll be on Saturday night.

And I can't go.

f**k me.
Me too. I take off to Dubai at 9pm!!

Anyhoo. I have a question.

Do we think this game (week 2) will be played at ANZ Stadium or Alliance?

Last edited: