What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shiek of Tweek Returns

ozbash

Referee
todays the day sportsfans.
SKW makes his long awaited return :roll:

bet the australian womens weekly has hired 6 more reporters to cover this massive event. :lol:

GO VICTORIA B !

Anonymous

Juniors
WARNEY

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

The Colonel

Immortal
Yeah I know but they actually put this as the main article on foxsports.com.au. I mean please I know he's back but this is beyond a joke. :-s

The Colonel

Immortal
Headed Warne out for 11.
SHANE WARNE is a step closer to bowling again after the Victorian Second XI declared their first innings at 5-379 on day two of the match with Queensland at Melbourne's Junction Oval today.

Warne returned today from a 12-month doping suspension and his first involvement back in the game was to come in at No.6.

He made 11 before Queensland paceman Steven Magoffin had him caught behind.

Light rain was falling in the innings' break, but there will be a few minutes of play before the lunch break.

Warne's comeback attracted a crowd of several hundred, many of them media, including six television cameras.

The teams agreed to Warne joining the Victorian side on day two of the match.

Warne's 12-month doping suspension expired at midnight.

He told reporters this morning he's nervous and excited about playing.

As he prepared for his return after testing positive to a diuretic, he said: "I firmly believe I am the best leg-spinner and I will fight for my place in the Australian team."

In a career that has produced 491 wickets in 107 Tests, the king of spin said he felt "absolutely no pressure", but was "excited" about playing again.

He also revealed he wasn't "desperate" to immediately play for Australia and would contentedly bide his time playing for Victoria in the Pura Cup.

"My goal is to make the Sri Lanka tour but if I don't, it really doesn't matter," Warne said.

"I'm not feeling desperate to get back into the side.

"If I don't, chances are I'll play in a home Pura Cup final for Victoria, which would be a pretty good alternative.

"As usual people presume to know what I want in my cricket career, but the fact is the thrill of walking through the gate and not knowing what is going to happen next is the important thing.

"I love the game and just playing again and letting it unfold is the exciting thing," Warne said.

"People think I'm desperate, that's wrong.

"If I don't make the Sri lanka tour it's not the end of the world. I know I'll get back into the side eventually.

"I believe I'm the best leg spinner in the country. That's not saying anything against Stuey MacGill or the great job he has done, but I have to back myself and believe in myself."

With national chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns looking on, Warne said he felt he was in a win-win situation.

"I'll be thinking a few things when I drive into the Junction Oval, but there are no nerves at all. I'm just excited to be back playing," Warne said.

The controversial leg spinner received good luck calls from near and far yesterday, inlcuding Australian captain Ricky Ponting.

"The well-wishing from friends and teammates has been terrific," he said. "Through this whole past year it is the support of my teammates and friends that has made things easier."

Hohns will alternate between Warne's game and the Pura Cup match between Victoria and South Australia at the MCG.

Only the "Warne factor" could get the national chairman of selectors to a second XI game when the first XI is playing up the road.

"The publicity surrounding Shane's return has been unbelievable," Hohns admitted yesterday.

"Shane is a big-name player, he's been an outstanding player for Australia, so everyone has been waiting for him to get back, there is no doubt about that.

"I'll be poking my nose in, having a look. It's a matter of going to have a look, see how he's bowling."

The Test squad for Sri Lanka will be announced on Friday week – the day after the scheduled finish of Warne's comeback first class game for Victoria against Tasmania at the MCG.

Hohns admitted he wasn't sure if it was enough time for Warne to convince the selectors he is ready for the international stage.

"I'm not sure, that's a judgment we'll have to make at that stage," Hohns said.

Herald Sun

I know its big news but this is bloody stupid. Its a wonder we didn't hear what he had for tea. :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He took a good slips catch and was just about to bowl, when it rained.

We'll have to wait untill tomorrow, to see him bowl again.

The Colonel

Immortal
Naaaah.... the rain falls mainly on the Shane today according to forecasts.... :lol:

Just pick him for Sri Lanka and be done with it. The Indians have six or seven spinners in their squad against Aust. Either they want to lull us into a false sense of security or all the wickets will be spinners.... Warne even half fit would relish the chance!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The team is picked on Friday.

Warnie has 2 days to impress the selectors on current form.

The other option is to select him on past from or his past record. Could be a gamble, look what happend to Brett Lee coming back too early.

If I was a selector I would be hedging my my bets. Pick a 17 man squad instead of 16. Warnie would be the 17 th man. All bases covered.

If they produce turning wickets over there we could see Warnie, and our man Stuey, in the same 11.

The Colonel

Immortal
If they produce turning wickets I think you will see Katich, Clarke, Symonds, McGill and Warnie all picked.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Clarke and Symonds will get eaten alive over there, in test matches. Calarke and Simmo may be able to contain in a 50 over game, but in the longer verion we need penetrating bowlers, which I don't think those 2 part timers can do.

They have finger spinners for breakfast on the sub continent.

Katich could surprise tho.

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
Clarke and Symonds will get eaten alive over there, in test matches. Clarke and Simmo may be able to contain in a 50 over game, but in the longer verion we need penetrating bowlers, which I don't think those 2 part timers can do.

They have finger spinners for breakfast on the sub continent.

Katich could surprise tho.

But remember who is selecting the side Twizzle........ I do agree though that they will struggle however given Hohns is already pushing for Symonds I think he will be a given.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Like to see Simmo in the team, at the expense of Marto, who does not play spin very well, due to his lack of footwork.

As for Simmo bowling, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Even Mark Waugh got wickets over there.

Doctor

Bench
Twizzle said:
look what happend to Brett Lee coming back too early.

Brett Lee was injured though - fast bowlers generally take longer to return to peak fitness after injury.

Shane Warne has not been injured for 12 months - what he lacks in match practice will not affect his bowling as much as an injury would. He just needs matches under his belt to get into some sort of rhythm.

The Sri Lankans are doctoring their wickets for maximum spin - there is no doubt about this. What we will see is Australia throw MacGill, Warne and possibly even Hogg into the mix. There are suggestions Clarke is a shoe-in for his batting anyway, so essentially you have a few part-timers to roll their arms over too. Simon Katich's bowling doesn't impress me because he isn't a containment bowler - he gets wickets caught on the boundary - clearly he will be there to buy a wicket.

Suggestions Symonds is a chance have me baffled - his first class figures are not that impressive, batting or bowling. It seems the selectors are seriously throwing his name around, but you would want to think that there are better options at this time. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, Warne is back - the sheik of tweak, the lord of the spin - it is an exciting time for Australian cricket. Warne, for all his mistakes and for all the time he has missed, will still be capable of weaving his magic. He just needs some big spells to recover his match-rhythm.

Latest posts