What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the strip rule

THE STRIP RULE

• Total voters

simon says

First Grade
I reckon it has to go.Watched the International today,and it is just a joke.In my opinion it rewards fakers and blokes who cant hang on to the ball.Refs get it wrong so often and IMHO it is the biggest blight on the game.

Get rid of the strip rule,and make these guys hang on to the bloody ball,if they lose it well bad luck.

Cheers.

choc_soldier

Coach
I'm in two minds about it.

On one side, if "you snooze, you lose" - if you can't hold on to the ball, your team deserves to surrender possession.

However, it's hard to police. I've lost count the number of times a "legal" strip has occured when there has been more than one defender in the tackle.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd prefer it if the cheerleaders did a strip routine...

Oh, the stripping of the football from an opponent? Keep the rule as is. Allow it to be stripped no matter what and the game becomes a farce. Abolishing any allowance of stripping then rewards players with poor 1-on-1 ball security.

Allow the ball to be stripped with two in the tackle then we will see players holding the ball a lot tighter and not pushing passes so much..

8)

Rocky Maivia

Juniors
If we get rid of the strip rule then players will be losing the ball left, right and centre. It must be amended. Somehow.

Kris_man

Bench
i've got no problem with it, whatsoever. i do think, though, that it should be policed in a certain way: give benefit of the doubt to the defending team. I can let it pass if a knock-on is ruled when it was actually a strip, after all, the player should have some ball control. but it does annoy me when a strip is ruled when the ball was actually dropped cold, because then you're punishing a player who did nothing but go for a tackle. not only that, but a penalty is much more advantageous than a scrum.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I hate the strip rule full stop! If you have possession you should control it! If you get it stripped then bad luck, its your fault for not taking more care with possession. Just take the rule out and then we have no problems whatsoever!

Dogboy

Juniors
dodge said:
Allow it to be stripped no matter what and the game becomes a farce. quote]

Stripping was allowed for almost 90 years and the game wasn't a "farce".

I'm all for allowing stripping regardless of how many are in the tackle. We need more contest for possession in our game to stop it from being too predictable. In my view, contest for possession is the only advantage that RU has over us.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Get rid of it

"It's the worst rule in Rugby League" -Phil Gould

Too much controversy over it, it's a matter of opinion. You should have rules that are clear & no if & buts about it

Leagueguy

Juniors
I don't know if there is actually any way of fixing the striping rule. Even if you get rid of it entirely, you are still going to have the issue all the time of whether a ball was stripped or the player lost control. Then you have to decide on the knock on. The doubt over the stripping rule isn't normally about how many were in the tackle its about whether or not the ball was stripped.

*Paul*

Juniors
Contrary to what people seemingly think, the frre-for-all strip doesn't mean in every tackle a scrum will form of players trying to get at the ball.

In fact it was quite rare, more or less an opportunistic thing, perhaps because if you're only thinking about nicking the ball, that will lead to missed tackles.

Anonymous

Juniors
Teams put in a lot of planning these days *Paul*...don't you think teams would come up with a plan if we made it free for all? I mean, imagine a prop hitting it up, and being held in a typical 4-on-1 gang tackle, which are of course common place today, with 2 or 3 guys holding his arms and a 4th extracting the ball...where's the "contest" in that? TBH I have no idea why there isn't more stripping in Union, I can only assume it's typical Union stupidity :p I reckon keep the rules as they are, but allow 1-on-1 strips WHENEVER THERE IS ONLY ONE MAN IN THE TACKLE i.e. even if a tackler has dropped off, or whatever.

*Paul*

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
which are of course common place today, with 2 or 3 guys holding his arms and a 4th extracting the ball..
Well, I don't see that happening. It didn't before, and it's not like it was 1911 or anything. (When did it change, anyway? Early 90's?)
TBH I have no idea why there isn't more stripping in Union
Probably because it isn't as easy as it seems, and (more so in League) the primary task is stopping the ball carrier.
I reckon keep the rules as they are, but allow 1-on-1 strips WHENEVER THERE IS ONLY ONE MAN IN THE TACKLE i.e. even if a tackler has dropped off, or whatever.
This doesn't address the major problem, strip, lost ball, or miscellaneous?

As we've seen, over and over, a player has been penalised for either inadvertantly freeing the ball, or worse still, when the ball carrier has lost it himself from the rigours of the tackle.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I think it should be scrapped altogether. No strips at all and if a player loses it, it is a knock on. Of course the ref has to decide if it was stripped or just lost but he ahs to do that anyways.

Grantwhy

Juniors
panthersballboy said:
I think it should be scrapped altogether. No strips at all and if a player loses it, it is a knock on. Of course the ref has to decide if it was stripped or just lost but he ahs to do that anyways.

And the problem seems to be a lot of people dissagree with the Refs decisions.

That won't go away if the stripping rule is removed (again).

Every time the ball comes free in a tackle the Refs are going to have to make a decision and/or give a penality.

At the moment if they believe it's a one-on-one situation and the ball comes out they don't really have the option of giving a penalty (well, unless they have called held but that's another matter).

My belief is, if stripping the ball is again outlawed there will be more, not less, penalties for stripping.

supermario

Juniors
the stripping rule needs to stay, cause if you get rid of it, you will have one or 2 players holding up a player and a third trying to reef out the ball !

the one on one strip should stay but it should be play on of the ball goes to ground only in a strip situation.

Latest posts