What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The success of Russia

raidz3r

Juniors
sorry if this had been posted:

Russia: Another success story from the RLWC
Sat Sep 14, 3:07am (UK)
Written by: Steven Birchall
Early 1999 saw the announcement of a 16 team World Cup as well as the 15 sides with guaranteed entry with one of those sides being the Russian Bears. Cries went up from sports fans everywhere, ‘Who are Russia? They don’t play League” and “They must be made up of second class Aussies and Brits”. A negative persona was attached to the competition and the newest team in our World Cup.

Now looking back only four years later from the announcement of the Russian side it is funny how things have changed. Despite them being thrashed by both Australia and England in the RLWC and people thinking that once the tournament was over that we would never seen the side again, the Russians have just gone up a gear.

Being welcomed to an international tournament seemed to be all the people of Russia needed to get behind the game. Playing numbers almost doubled, the teams grew in skill and strength, surrounding nations such as Ukraine and Kazahstan took up the sport and Russian Rugby League games started drawing crowds which would make NRL clubs happy.

Still despite all this growth, what has happened this year for the game I don’t think anyone would of expected. First the tour to Britain by the Kazan and Locomotive sides highlighted that whilst they still have a long way to go, the amateur Russian clubs could compete against semi-professional NFP sides. There success will mean that now two Russian clubs will have the chance to compete in next years European Rugby League Challenge Cup, something less than five years ago no one would of even thought of.

Add to that the recent international series between USA and Russia. The two matches the Tomahawks played drew a total crowd of 45,000, around the same as the first two tests of last years Ashes Test Series in Britain. The difference being, everyone expected the crowds in Britain, everyone was hoping for Russia that at least 10% of that crowd could turn up.

Add to that the Russians were able to get the game televised nationally on a one-hour delay on Free To Air TV. More than could happen in Britain and in Australia for their recent tests this year.

Now like it or not, all of this only became possible cause of the 2000 Rugby League World Cup. People may claim that for the next tournament (2005) that only a handful of elite nations should be included, eliminating the likes of Russia, Lebanon, Italy, USA and so on from participating. Sure the tournament may not be the most glamorous in the short term, but as we have seen from 2000, it has done more for the growth of the game outside of its traditional borders than any other attempt by League officials.

Whether we like it or not, if the recent success in Russia continues over the next 15 to 20 years, plus the fast growing work throughout the rest of the world for league, the Kangaroos will not be world champions anymore. Sure it maybe a wait, but International Rugby League is on the grow.

http://world.rleague.com/tournaments/rlwc/news/index.php?id=8756

sh*t i had no idea this nation had developed so well after the 2000 world cup! for this reason alone the 2008 world cup should be made a priority, with lots of resources being put into tv rights in developing nations, even if we lose money from them. If countries like russia and lebanon dont make this world cup it'll be the biggest f**king disgrace and im pretty sure half my interest will be gone already. Well anyway thats my rant about the world cup, let REAL developing nations in the tournament.

roopy

Referee
That article must be two or three years old.
Russia have stood still and many sides such as USA, Lebanon, the Pacific Island Countries etc have probably all gone past them by a long way.
I would think they are no hope of making 2008 - but they will get some great games in the qualifying tournaments against sides like Georgia, Lebanon and maybe Germany and Holland.

raidz3r

Juniors
roopy said:
That article must be two or three years old.
Russia have stood still and many sides such as USA, Lebanon, the Pacific Island Countries etc have probably all gone past them by a long way.
I would think they are no hope of making 2008 - but they will get some great games in the qualifying tournaments against sides like Georgia, Lebanon and maybe Germany and Holland.

Thats a real shame to see the game decline so much in Russia, especially when you look into the crowd figure against the Tomahawks in the article. Is the any reason why they've dropped back in terms of development in the last few years ? and have you any idea how much participation there is in the game at the moment ?

ali

Bench
I think the crowd had a lot to do with the fact they were playing the USA, and the car give aways that were put up by the backer. The only thing that has really changed since in that the backer has walked away, and taken his club Dynamo, who were probably about the 3rd strongest side in Russia. The club comp has become very one sided, with Locomotive by far the strongest team.

However, on the positive I'd guess there is more junior development going on than in the past. The fact that a League born and bread Russian side, could hammer a Goergian side containing 15 union internationals of some sort, suggests that we can at least consider them a Rugby League nation. I don't think they are any hope of making the world cup, but hopefully they can get some good publicity for the game in the qualifying process.

However, I'd love to see them make it ahead of the likes of Scotland. Considering they are completely home grown side, I wouldn't complain at all if they drafted in a few Aussie's and poms to help them out. There must be a few eligable players running around in the NRL.

Razor

Coach
Is the any reason why they've dropped back in terms of development in the last few years ? and have you any idea how much participation there is in the game at the moment ?

They were getting an enormous amount of Government support from both the Russian PM and the Russian Sports Minister and they put a lot of effot in to ensuring it was recieving media coverage. They have both wayned in their interest in a major way. Also the major sponsor switched from League to Union.

ali

Bench
Razor said:
They were getting an enormous amount of Government support from both the Russian PM and the Russian Sports Minister and they put a lot of effot in to ensuring it was recieving media coverage. They have both wayned in their interest in a major way. Also the major sponsor switched from League to Union.

That's not entirely true. His club switched to the Union 7's circuit. I haven't seen any proof that he is throwing vast amounts of money into Russian Union.

In-goal

Bench
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think you can get any proof out of Russia regarding union or league .

hard to argue with that,

from the ways things seem to have gone in Russia i would say that the game has gone a long way backwards over the last few years anyone else like to expand?

ali

Bench
I'd say it's stagnated. For mine the major worry is the one sidedness of the premiership. But there is little doubt that Loco of 2005, would hammer Loco of 2002. It's just that the others haven't improved with them.

The fact that the Russian's organised a junior world cup, and their 2 teams were competitive, suggests the game hasn't gone backwards.

Latest posts