What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sydney media is a blight on the Rugby League landscape

yobbo84

First Grade
"Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn". I'm sure this must be the motto above the desk of every Rugby League "journalist" in Sydney. In what should be a celebration of our hundredth year, they would rather drag the game down to it's lowest ebb.

It's a year where the average crowd per game is up on 2007, with every club averaging more than 12,000 per game. It's a year where (as much as it pains me to say it) a foundation club the Roosters, a rabble for the past 3 years, are being turned around by the smart coaching of one of the game's all-time great players. It's a year where the game's newest franchise, the Gold Coast Titans, are starting to flourish and build up a great supporter base in the South East of Queensland. Young players keep lifting their game to new levels - guys like Peter Wallace, Issac Luke, Mitchell Pearce, etc. We've just seen one of the hightest rating Origin matches of all time. The new NYC is going great guns, showcasing the game's exciting young talent.

But what do they want to report about? Sonny Bill Williams leaving the 'Dogs, Mark Gasnier leaving the Dragons, Canberra re-locating, the annual "Souths in crisis" special, Anthony Laffranchi's court case, Sydney clubs going broke, NSW taxes.. it's a joke. The negative focus on Rugby League does nothing but lower people's enjoyment of the sport. It's a year where we should be growing the game, taking it to new places, celebrating it's 101st year of existence; but no, we'd rather kick people while they're down. Even the game's national broadcaster would rather publicise AFL.

The most prevalent display of this is the recent agenda-driven push for Souths to the Central Coast. It has never been more evident than now; anyone who thinks it is anything else lives in fairyland. It's amazing how the media can report outright lies as fact. From stating Russell Crowe "sacked" Peter Holmes a Court (even though PHaC said he would do so 2 and a half years ago), to reporting that "sources" (i.e. two blokes in a cafe) told them that JT looked cranky, to the repeated bullsh*t line of "Russell promised Souths a Premiership in 2008". What a load of crap. The usual cronies come out at this time too, George Piggins, John Sattler, etc. It's like clockwork. Even well respected long-time journalists like Roy Masters have jumped on the Souths-bashing bandwagon.

Never mind the fact that the NSW government's poker machine tax will have no affect on the South Sydney Rugby League Football Club Pty Ltd. Ignore the fact that South Sydney have signed a 10-year deal with ANZ Stadium. Forget the fact that South Sydney are about to sign a 20-year deal with the Sydney council to base themselves at the new, $20m start-of-the-art training facility at the new Redfern Park. Forget the fact that the club in a joint venture with Trivest are developing $40m worth of property in the Redfern area. No, the push is on.

I'll never understand how people who must be passionate enough about Rugby League to work in the industry can display such contempt for the same sport that effectively pays their wages. I'm just glad that Rugby League fans show more loyalty to the greatest game of all.

We have the most pissweak group of inkslingers possible writing about our game. They're all looking for something negative to write about.

Last week's SOO rated higher nationally than last year's AFL Grand Final and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but here.

Brutus

Referee
That's the problem. There are a lot of people covering rugby league who are not passionate about the game. Rugby league is the number one game in town so it pays to cover the sport.

Look at Jessica Halloran and Jaq Magnay from the SMH for instance. Both cover plenty of RL during their weekly work, but when push comes to shove they would rather promote the AFL and talk league down. A guy like Danny Weidler is a rugby union man, but do you think covering RU would get you much media work in Sydney or a profile?

There are several others who cover league because it pays the bills - no other reason.

A guy like Mascord however lives for the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
There's some (a couple) of writers for the Telegraph that don't seem to hold the same petty agendas as the others, and write articles worth the paper they're on. Josh Massoud I think is decent, same with Mascord. Rothfield, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Chesterton are f**kwits. Dean Ritchie is somewhere in the middle

Brutus

Referee
Dean Ritchie is very predictable. You know he is keeping his employers happy.

Mascord destroys his fellow Tele workmates for passion and quality.

Patorick

Staff member
Josh Massoud I think is decent
sports-01.jpg
Sports Journalist of the YearJosh Massoud, The Daily Telegraph, for breaking a series of hard-hitting news stories about sport, including Russell Crowe's battle for control of the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Josh also scored a brilliant exclusive when he tracked down the 1974 Socceroos captain Peter Wilson, who had eluded other journalists for years.
Dragon uses disabled spot

By Josh Massoud | March 19, 2008

ST George Illawarra hooker Simon Woolford has been forced to issue an apology after parking his car in a handicapped space. In yet another embarrassing off-field incident for the Dragons, Woolford was fined for occupying a disabled car spot at Sydney Entertainment and Convention Centre in Darling Harbour.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that Woolford and Dragons prop Jason Ryles were inside the Darling Harbour venue for an annual hospitality expo when parking rangers found the vehicle illegally parked just 100m from the entrance.

St George Illawarra confirmed Woolford had been fined and expressed their disappointment in the veteran's actions. "Simon did park in a disabled spot today and Simon will be paying the fine,'' a Dragons spokeswoman said.

"He recognises his actions were wrong and accepts the penalty. The club is surprised that Simon would make such a decision and would like to point out that these actions are not justified no matter what the circumstance.''

Woolford, 32, issued an immediate apology. "I should have known better. I accept it was the wrong thing to do and will be paying the fine,'' he said.
Woolford and Ryles had been invited to attend the expo, which showcased gaming and poker machine technology.

They were accompanied by representatives from the Dragons' shorts sponsor IGT, the industry's biggest operator in Australia. An event organiser said the pair remained at the convention centre for "several hours''.

The incident comes just two weeks after Dragons skipper Mark Gasnier was involved in a Kings Cross brawl that is believed to have led to Parramatta players Jarryd Hayne, Weller Hauraki and Junior Paulo being shot at.

St George Illawarra officials initially denied Gasnier's involvement in "any incidents'', but were forced to fine him when further evidence emerged. Last night, however, the club acted swiftly in response to news of Woolford's misdemeanor.

Although he was not to blame, Ryles was caught up in the embarrassment on the same day he was dropped to bench.

The former international was the only Dragons big-name to feel the wrath of coach Nathan Brown, who is under even more pressure to keep his job following the Dragons' "disgraceful'' opening round loss to Wests.

Bookies yesterday reacted to St George Illawarra's first-up performance, slashing Brown into favouritism to become the first NRL coach sacked this season.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

It's Jana drama 2008 ... now she's taking on the Dogs - What if your footy ruined my dreams
by Josh Massoud

BEIJING 2008 gold medal hopeful Jana Rawlinson fears her Olympic dream could be ruined -- by a stray football.

The unlikely danger to her preparation emerged yesterday morning when the two-time world champion arrived for sprint work at Sydney Athletics Centre to find the Bulldogs already there.

The Dogs have been training at the venue since they moved to Olympic Park a fortnight ago.

Until yesterday, the players and Rawlinson have shared the warm up track and enclosed football field without incident.

But an extended video session saw the Bulldogs start their 9.30am ballwork session nearly an hour late, overlapping with Rawlinson's scheduled training run at 11am.

The 25-year-old was shocked to see the players practising backline moves when she arrived, believing there was an agreement in place for the team to train without footballs when runners were on the track.

"I don't have a problem sharing the venue, the players have been great, but it is a worry when they do ballwork,'' Rawlinson said.

"A stray ball could fly on to the track, and if it hit me or I tripped over, that could ruin my Olympic dream .''

After becoming a mother last year, Rawlinson's preparations have been hampered by an ankle injury and having her wisdom teeth removed.

"After all I've been through, it would be the last thing I need,'' she said.

Rawlinson's coach and husband Chris said it was the first time the situation had arisen since the Bulldogs moved from Belmore.

He contacted the Sydney Olympic Park Authority to find out why the NRL side was using footballs during their allocated session.

But her practice sprints went ahead, despite the risk of injury.

"Our insurance doesn't cover us for injuries that occur when there are two parties using the facility,'' Chris Rawlinson said.

"That's another thing we've got to worry about.

"We'll have to speak to some people and make sure everyone sticks to their training times.

"They are not meant to use footballs when we are here, but it definitely appears as if there are a few balls out there.''

The Bulldogs finished training shortly before midday, meaning they shared the facility with Rawlinson for more than 45 minutes.

New CEO Todd Greenberg said the mix-up was a result of "early teething problems'' from the club moving to its new kennel.

"I'll be having a meeting with the CEO of SOPA to speak about this,'' Greenberg said.

"We don't want to get in the way of Jana's Olympic preparations.

"Since we share the same venue, we hope to have a great relationship with her.''

SOPA last night apologised to Rawlinson. A spokesman said: "SOPA regrets any inconvenience experienced by Ms Rawlinson this morning after [the Bulldogs continued to use the athletic centre's warm-up arena beyond its booked time.

"SOPA is working to ensure all users are aware of the need to respect booking arrangements for the park's training facilities.''

The Daily Telegraph:crazy::crazy::crazy::sarcasm:

t-ba

Post Whore
Pat Smith has written the most positive article about RL this week.

Alarm bells are ringing...

Don't just limit the rant to the written media. Those that cover the game on TV are f*ckwits as well. Rarely a good word is said about League on TV, but whenever anyone on TV talks about AFL it becomes a sickening love in.
The most disturbing for me is when you see these light entertainment, News programs of a morning like sunrise trying to tackle the hard issues in Sport. Mark Barreta and that other imbecile whose name escapes me, find it hard to hide there obvious dislike for our game, yet as soon as AFL is mentioned they get all misty eyed and emotional and even David Koch and the girls join in. At every news break or bulletin, AFL is covered for the same amount of time as League, yet this is NSW. Go down to Melbourne and check out the League coverage, there is hardly any because the Melbourne public just do not tolerate it. We should be the same and not tolerate AFL. It is infiltrating our way of life and if Rugby League supporters don't draw a line in the sand and say enough of this sh!t is enough, it will take over.
I have said all along, that channel 9, the rights holder for Rugby League, should portray the game in the best possible light at all times and should not even cover a competing sport like AFL. They should also be forced to show League live into Melbourne at every opportunity. It should be part of the contract.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Even when you watch a game on 9 during a Friday night or Sunday afternoon you'll get a bloke like Phil Gould whinging about all the negatives and rules he doesn't like and how its "killing the game" Fair enough his points a debatably justafiable, but in game/on air commentary is not the correct forum to voice disgust about the game. This when you should be advertising the sport and trying to sell it to the broader audience when a match is actually on.

Theres a golden unspoken rule in life that; People will easily remember negative comments and not positive ones. For some unkown reason with Rugy League this seems especially the case.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Excellent post.

Piss News Ltd off - they are wrecking the code.

Then watch the others get more positive of the game - without fear of promoting a rival's product.

yobbo84

First Grade
It is the perpetual lies passed off as fact that is my greatest issue. How they get away with it is beyond me.

taipan

Referee
I love the Gould rant"that's not a high tackle,no way that's a high tackle",when the guy is either concussed,an arm connects fairly and squarely on the chin,or blood is pouring out of a nostril.
In Gould's eyes at times,you would think the head starts about t*t level.
He has a head for radio because when his mug appears on TV I put the pets outside for their own safety(the pets being my kids).
Mascord is the most passionate on rl and as much so on the international game.
Masters has his moments but is still a passionate rl man.
Magnay is OK,the other lass OHalloran is an AFL stooge as is Beck Wilson.
Ritchie has his good and bagging times.As far as Weidler is concerned,I get the imptression he is pr man for the ARU.
Paul Kent is not too bad he is a rl man.
Its a damn pity Chippy Frilingos wasn't still with us,he would give some of those AFL lemons a good server.He used to rip in to Peter Fitzsimons,who had a tendency to have lack of rl knowledge.

Yeah the negativity is terrible. I don't know how it started, was it super league? But the negativity is endemic, and seems like it is just getting worse and worse. Perception is huge, and we're getting hammered on this one! Rugby League has the stench of death about it for no reason at all.

Agree about not using broadcasts to bag the game. Such a stupid time to do it.

Further to that Gould really sh*ts me when he commentates on international matches or WCC...after Leeds won, he sat there like a petulant child with no lolly rather than talk about the merits of the win. He should be taken off international duty. Your job is to talk up the product pal.

t-ba

Post Whore
The game has always been dying according to the media. Farifax at least. The hate has just really intensified since 2005.

Funny that 2005 was probably the greatest season in living memory...

When it all comes down to it. The media is trying to ram AFL down our throats. They have signed these massive broadcasting contracts with AFL and are pushing the game for dear life trying to get maximum benefit from their expenditure. The people of NSW and QLD need to draw the line and say "we don't want this AFL sh!t". We should start a movement to ban a second team in Sydney, or better yet, we should start a movement to flick the Swans and the Brisbane Lions out of these two states. South Melbourne Football Club or the bloods should p!ss of home. If we let AFL continue to move in on our turf, they will pinch our juniors and our sponsorship dollars and slowly strangle the game.

HevyDevy

Coach
Not all of this is wide of the mark, but let me say this:

It's very difficult when you want to write a decent story about a player or club when:

1) The media manager refuses to answer their phone
2) The coach tells you that the whole team is on a media ban this week; come back to us in a fortnight
3) The media manager refuses to help you get in touch with a player that is clearly trying to avoid being interviewed.

If you do write a positive yarn, you hear nothing, but write one slightly negative or even controversial story and the coach is straight on the phone abusing you and saying that they will no longer take your calls.

Having said that, there are obviously journos with agendas and others with no history in rugby league. In general, print journos tend to have a greater affiliation than TV or radio journos. Some of the questions these TV guys ask at press conferences can be embarrassing. A lot of them aren't sighted at games until the finals - then they take over the press conferences.

Mick_63

Juniors
What about Michael Slater on the big sports breakfast.He has absolutely zero knowledge of league,not that TK is much better.
They had the perfect opportunity to hire a former player who could offer some perceptive insights to the vast majority of callers/listeners.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
It would also be interesting to know how many Victorian born Journos work on Sydney papers, in comparasin to how many NSW born journos work on Melb papers.

It seems to be as an Victorian you grow up as a deciple of AFL and have to spread the word to where ever life takes you.

Latest posts