What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Team Song after a Win

justagamemate

Juniors
Anyone know why they don't show the team song in the sheds after a win like the AFL does? It would be great to see.

RL_Patriot

Juniors
I think its due to the media ban.

Friday night games show parts of the celebration, but with no audio.

I don't know what some of the NRL team songs are like but if they're anything like the ones most amateur clubs sing it's probably best they aren't broadcast.

Yeah, and let's get them running through coloured banners made of toilet paper as they run onto the field (f**k you for doing that shit Melbourne, you dozy merkins).

docbrown

Coach
On a similar note, when you win at home and the crowd is filing out of the ground the club's song (clean version) should always be playing.

I've gone to Knights games where we've both won and lost and filed out to silence. It can feel a bit hollow.

To be honest it was great the other week when we beat Manly and the leaving crowd was more vocal as there was some pretty good banter reminding Manly fans about the score.

Even the kids like it when we play Dragons, Bulldogs & Rabbitohs as you get to hear chants etc before, during and after the game. If the club song is playing, more people would be inclined to get involved and it all just ads to the atmosphere of going to the game.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think that what the players sing/chant at the end of the game in the sheds is not the same as the official team song. Over the years you do see vision of this, eg last week they showed the raiders on the footy show belting it out with young Lee dancing.

As for playing the club song AFL style, no. Cheesy 1930s type rip offs of real folk songs may wash in backwardsville but are embarrassing anywhere else.

I'm not sure if they are 'official' club songs but 'eagle rock' for Manly, 'eye of the tiger' for WT, 'when the saints' for the dragons and 'green machine' for the raiders are synonomous with those teams and usually played before and after games with good effect.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Does EVERY team have a song and does EVERY team sing it EVERY time they win? I don't think it's as ingrained a tradition as it is in the AFL. Would be weird for commentators to announce the song being sung one week then the next say "well the winners can't be bothered doing the song this week, byebye".

meltiger

First Grade
Yeah, and let's get them running through coloured banners made of toilet paper as they run onto the field (f**k you for doing that shit Melbourne, you dozy merkins).

What's your issue with that?

It's something many of the locals see as part of footy in Melbourne.

It's not as if any of the other clubs have started doing it.

The song though, fully agree.

Last edited:
What's your issue with that?

It's something many of the locals see as part of footy in Melbourne.

It's not as if any of the other clubs have started doing it.

Rugby League isn't AFL. Running through toilet paper is an AFL thing, they do it before AFL games, it's a tradition in AFL, not in Rugby League.

I couldn't care less if the Pink Poofs and that other mob of Mongs from Breakfast Point do it.

meltiger

First Grade
But also seen as a Melbourne footy tradition. I always thought it was pretty cool in the sense that they were trying to make an effort to engage and feel like a part of the football furniture in the town. You have to live here I suppose.

As I said, it's not like any other club has started doing it. Even when Perth get back, I'd be shocked if they did it.

The Storm have had many faults, dunno if that's one of them.

Couldn't care less what Sth Melbourne or the Homebush/Canberra WT knocks off do either

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Nothing like singing your teams song badly and loudly so the opposition can hear, especially at their home ground....no matter what grade it is

But also seen as a Melbourne footy tradition.

Load of hot c**k.

Show me where other codes do it every week?

Is it a tradition in Soccer or Union in Melbourne?

I always thought it was pretty cool in the sense that they were trying to make an effort to engage and feel like a part of the football furniture in the town. You have to live here I suppose.

I'd have been dead long ago if I lived in that toilet.

And f**k the Storm, their pandering to Victorians sickens me. Trying to get converts by acting like an AFL club sickens me.

As I said, it's not like any other club has started doing it. Even when Perth get back, I'd be shocked if they did it.

So it's not a Rugby League thing but they persist. They act like an AFL club playing Rugby League. My hatred for them is only slightly less than my hatred of AFL. If Melbourne play Manly, I want Manly to win.

The Storm have had many faults, dunno if that's one of them.

Yeah, it is.

Couldn't care less what Sth Melbourne or the Homebush/Canberra WT knocks off do either

We finally agree on something....

beave

Coach
The cowboys song they play over the stadium PA when they win makes me want to go camping up Castle Hill with another man.

meltiger

First Grade
Load of hot c**k.

Show me where other codes do it every week?

Is it a tradition in Soccer or Union in Melbourne?

The two soccer teams that have been around less time than the Storm or Hellas & Croatia? Don't follow the average league so can't say what the new teams do.

The Union side have been around for two years and no, they didn't pinch the "run through" concept, they did however go with the club song idea.

And f**k the Storm, their pandering to Victorians sickens me. Trying to get converts by acting like an AFL club sickens me.

Past crimes & the geniusation of their supporters aside, they are important to the game long term and you know that.

So it's not a Rugby League thing but they persist. They act like an AFL club playing Rugby League. My hatred for them is only slightly less than my hatred of AFL. If Melbourne play Manly, I want Manly to win.

lol. A Wests man wanting Manly to win? Shame.

We aren't going to agree but I think you are letting your hatred of the Victorian game override your senses here. Yes, if anyone from the JV hoisted one up at Campbelltown then there would cause to say WTF but are Melbourne hurting anyone by doing something that Victorians recognize as part of the match day experience?

We finally agree on something....

ha. Can honestly say I wouldn't even know if GWS do it. Haven't seen a single game the fails have played.

Didgi

The cowboys song they play over the stadium PA when they win makes me want to go camping up Castle Hill with another man.

:lol: Don't go perpetuating stereotypes Beave...

(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Nerd

Bench
Does EVERY team have a song and does EVERY team sing it EVERY time they win? I don't think it's as ingrained a tradition as it is in the AFL. Would be weird for commentators to announce the song being sung one week then the next say "well the winners can't be bothered doing the song this week, byebye".
Yes every team sings the team song after a win and has done as long as I can remember.

Who gives a shit what they do in AFL.