What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Team Song after a Win

Brutus

Referee
Nothing looks more staged and lame than a camera panning a bunch of stick insects with their arms around each other singing some stupid song.

I'm quite happy the NRL doesn't do that. Leave it to fumbleball.

Big Sam

First Grade
I know the song our team sings in the sheds is not "Glory, Glory". Do any other teams sing a different victory song to the club's song?

The two soccer teams that have been around less time than the Storm or Hellas & Croatia? Don't follow the average league so can't say what the new teams do.

So you made a statement of fact but have no idea if it is?

It's an AFL thing...

Standard Victorian stiff.

The Union side have been around for two years and no, they didn't pinch the "run through" concept, they did however go with the club song idea.

Union teams have been singing club songs for quite a while. That anyone would think it came from AFL is laughable.

Past crimes & the geniusation of their supporters aside, they are important to the game long term and you know that.

The game comes first to me but if they died tomorrow, I'd be a little bit happier than I am right now.

What they need to do is give up the AFL rubbish and start playing the game in the manner it was intended to be played in. Sacking the merkin that coaches them and started the wresting shit would be a good start. Getting the arsehole that has perfected it on-field to change sports to AFL would be a good second move.

They're not an AFL team and they shouldn't copy AFL "traditions" in the hope that they might persuade a few to come across.

If AFL fans want to see AFL tradition, they'll go to an AFL game. If there are AFL fans who got all excited because they went to a Storm game and they ran through a banner, I pity them.

Rugby League should be offering itself as an alternative, not offering itself as an alternative but with a few AFL trimmings...

Do the Pink Poofs, Fitzgray, Thuns or Breakfast Point have cheerleaders?

lol. A Wests man wanting Manly to win? Shame.

Only when they play the Storm, otherwise I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. And they wouldn't have it any other way.

We aren't going to agree but I think you are letting your hatred of the Victorian game override your senses here. Yes, if anyone from the JV hoisted one up at Campbelltown then there would cause to say WTF but are Melbourne hurting anyone by doing something that Victorians recognize as part of the match day experience?

They recognise it as part of an AFL match-day experience. It has nothing at all to do with Rugby League tradition and had better not ever be a Rugby League tradition or I'll go follow f**king Bocce.

Melbourne have shown a definite propensity for believing that they are above the game. It's time they were brought into line, period. And if that doesn't work, there are plenty of teams waiting in line...

ha. Can honestly say I wouldn't even know if GWS do it. Haven't seen a single game the fails have played.

I have no idea either, but it's an AFL tradition so we can assume it happens.

beave

Coach
IMO what goes on in the change room wether it be team songs or champange showers with 19 asian hookers, there's a line that needs to be drawn and I personally dont want to know what they do or sing in there. It's none of our business really.

Haffa

Does EVERY team have a song and does EVERY team sing it EVERY time they win? I don't think it's as ingrained a tradition as it is in the AFL. Would be weird for commentators to announce the song being sung one week then the next say "well the winners can't be bothered doing the song this week, byebye".

You've obviously never played football at any level past under 9's. I'd be shocked if there isn't a rugby league team at any competitive level that doesn't have a song thats sung after every win.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I could almost guarantee that afl teams all had their own tunes

Ie. The Geelong boys are out on the piss again out on the piss .... Blah blah

Then the sanitisation cops of the afl made all teams develop gay show tunes in the 80's

Now all them all flock around like sheep to sing " see the bombers fly up up" etc

And grown men are arm in arm singing numbers from Rogers and hamerstein

It is very gay. The pure emotion of a song that the team invented is better for moral, than a staged media event

But then again the afl feel like a staged event every week

berts_moustache

Juniors
I'd like to see as many shows on TV about NRL as there are about AFL, seriously they love it so much that it's infectious. I can watch the show with Molloy and Hughes even though i don't know the game. I would love to have something similar for NRL

juro

Bench
I recall seeing the Manly one a couple years back. The only line I can remember though is something like "Let's guzzle guzzle guzzle as we pour it down our muzzle"...

Mr Saab

Referee
Does EVERY team have a song and does EVERY team sing it EVERY time they win? I don't think it's as ingrained a tradition as it is in the AFL. Would be weird for commentators to announce the song being sung one week then the next say "well the winners can't be bothered doing the song this week, byebye".

For you to ask this question proves how bloody dumb you are. And you call yourself a league fan?

Hanscholo

Bench
You've obviously never played football at any level past under 9's. I'd be shocked if there isn't a rugby league team at any competitive level that doesn't have a song thats sung after every win.

Correct...every side would sing a team song after a win. The celebration is a lot like the AFL one is.

The pictures of the knights dressing room on the weekend with Uate and Bennett smiling and enjoying the song were really nice to see. Not that i am advocating we see it all the time, but every now and then after a big win like that its nice to enjoy it with the players.

I actually wonder if the NRL deliberately hide it, if you have ever seen one....its extremely blokey and a bit wild. If it meant that they had to tone it down, maybe keep the cameras away.