What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Team That Smashed the Hoodoo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
fetch.dll

A great match which saw St George get on top from the outset.
They were only to be thwarted by the ramblings of that inept whistle blowing ref, Tim Mander who did everything possible to give Brisbane a chance including pulling back Nathan Blacklock for no reason after he ran 90 metres to 'score'.
In the end , justice was served and the hoodoo was smashed!
Craig Smith was fantastic but it was Trent Barrett who controlled the proceedings.
Half Time: St George 12 - Brisbane 6
Fulltime: St George 20 - Brisbane 18
This scoreline flatters Brisbane beyond comprehension.

And the crowd that smashed the hoodoo....
fetch.dll

Wahooooo!
What a game! Willow - i'm sure you'd agree that what we saw out there today was the best since '99. And we all know what happened THAT year!
Roberts!
Harty!
Riddell!
Thommo!
Rylesy!
Smithy!
This list could go 17 players deep! Great effort today - not only the confidence in attack but the stinging, hard-hitting defence!
Go the Dragons...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Actually, it was a very entertaining match. The crowd certainly got their money's worth including a late match 'comeback' from the Broncos... just to keep us on the edge.
The scoreline was in no way an indicator of how the match was played. Saints killed them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Couldn't agree more Benny.
Bloody Hell... what was wrong with Tingha's intercept?Ref Mander pulled him back and at worse, there was a player who was offside on the other end of the pitch!
It should be have been a try and the flood gates were opening.
Mander is a Brisbane lad and played a bit in the Brisbane juniors so maybe he felt sorry for some of his bastard sons. Who knows?

St George put on some heavy defence early on and Walters has a broken nose or eye socket. No doubt, the bastard sons will whinge about that too.

Can't wait to read the excuses in tomorrow's Sunday Mail. Lately, that sort of reading has been priceless...
emwink.gif

P

pepe

benny

it makes you proud to be a saints fan,im back,i mean we're back in town,as long as the saints can seal a top six spot they are in with a real show,what i saw of parra on friday nightmakesyou thinkthey are beatable, as long as the defence moves up quickly there options are limited.

i hate to say it but another grand final is not beyond the side,could the fans cope with another grand final nightmare,that is the question!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No one expects it Pepe. But I reckon Saints are capable of anything ths year... that's what worries me most.
emwink.gif

Excuse me, but did I just read that correctly? You say you're back?
I know Mr Ribot's All Stars went down today but do you really think you should coming back 'on the rebound'.. so to speak...?

Tutt Army

Juniors
I'm Sorry Pepe but your a Storm for life now, no turning back, I for one refuse to take you back in as a Saint.

I think its just a tad early to get REAlly excited, remember, the team hasnt put in two consistently good performances all year. In saying that though the team showed today what they are capable of and then some. It was brilliant and I just hope that take this by the scruff of the neck now and ride on this momentum to smash the next three teams and go into the finals in the best of form.
On a side note, didnt the crowd get fired up today? The best atmosphere at Win Stadium I've seen ever!

Go The Saints!!!!!
We're coming to get you Newcastle!!

P

pepe

willow

you are probably right,i'll do the honourable thing and stick by the storm for another week,should those panthers beat us next weeksign me up.

why suffer a long painful death,i'm just waiting to get news that the storm are northwards bound,that will give me a good excuse to jump aboard the dragons bandwagon and it's merry group of supporters.

also very concerned about that bet willow,this week you are in the drivers seat.

pepe

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pepe has all the credentials and deserves a welcome back... but we need some evidence of his conviction here.
I suggest a mortal battle in the Klingon style where Pepe has to prove his worth via a 'fight for honour'. Offcourse, he needs a challenger.
I'll supply the blood wine...

TheSaint

Juniors
This topic has to go before a tribunal. How ever, what would stop Pepe from taking up a new Gold Coast or South Queensland team. I want at least a 1000 word essay writing explaining what it means to be a Saint andto denounce the Storm. I all so want the commitment to attend at least two Saints games a year.

P

pepe

saint

unfortunatly i don't have time to write the essay as the charity shield is about tostart on the box,as for the 2 games that won't be a problem.

as for the thousand words that should'nt be a concern,the quality maybe though,i will say this however being a saints fan today is a hell of a lot more frustrating than following them from the days of 77'' when i firstbecame a saints fan,back in those days success was a formality ,the club has been a victim of todays proffessionalism,we have stuck to tradition and honour and allthat shit and watched the parras,dogs and broncos be pro-actve in the market place and have suffered the conseqences.

it's time to beat the bastards at there own game,go out and buy the players,rort the salary cap,get a team which will be a force,not one that does well to make the finals.

sorry getting a little carried away there boys,the soccer awaits.

cheers pepe

P

pepe

saint

unfortunatly i don't have time to write the essay as the charity shield is about tostart on the box,as for the 2 games that won't be a problem.

as for the thousand words that should'nt be a concern,the quality maybe though,i will say this however being a saints fan today is a hell of a lot more frustrating than following them from the days of 77'' when i firstbecame a saints fan,back in those days success was a formality ,the club has been a victim of todays proffessionalism,we have stuck to tradition and honour and allthat shit and watched the parras,dogs and broncos be pro-actve in the market place and have suffered the conseqences.

it's time to beat the bastards at there own game,go out and buy the players,rort the salary cap,get a team which will be a force,not one that does well to make the finals.

sorry getting a little carried away there boys,the soccer awaits.

cheers pepe

traitor,
Let's cut to the chase.
The reason they invented guns was to shoot deserters.
By now you should be an expert on my opinion. Suck shit league,suck shit.
Return to the fold,No.
Mentioned to you before,playing swapsies,not a f**king hope.

I've yet to see the game, but I'm hoping to do so later today.
By all acounts, the boys played their hearts out and were well deserved winners.
In all seriousness, I have a question for Dragons and non-Dragons fans who saw the game yesterday...
Judging from the performance you witnessed yesterday, can they be considered a genuine threat to make an impact going into the Finals, or is this just one of there one-off performances that they seem to have perfected this year?
I know they defeated the mightyBroncos, but let's be fair-dinkum here guys, the Broncos are not playing anywhere up to there capabilities at present.
But .... we'll (Dragons fans)take any victory we can so close to the Semis.
Go StGrge/Illwra Dragons
Cheers / Aaron C.

J

Johnsy

Well what can I say?
"Brisbane cant play"
I see in the courier mail this morning a saints fan went past the broncs dressing rooms and shouted those exact words, bloody champion. As per usuall the bronco mail is whinging like there is no tomorrow.

Johnsy

Aaron C,
Their 1st half was outstanding,both in attack and defence.The quality of football would be good enough to keep them in the game against any other team in the comp.
The Broncettes also played very well,especially in defence.
The Dragons attacked from all over the park.Support play was a feature,offloading was the most constructive of this season,running at gaps was well done.
Seriously Aaron,everything that you want them to do in attack came good in the first half with all players having a go and playing to their potential.Shit hot stuff.
In defence,the boys were strong,the strongest they have been all season,but there is still a bloody big gap behind the ruck,however the broncettes didn't utilise it.
In the second half the boys remained determined and this was shown by their defensive effort in the first ten minutes after half time.They held out against some of the Broncettesbest attacking passages of the game.
The only area where they fell down in the game was in the usual suspects department.Gave away f**king stupid penalties and on the 5th tackle at that.Guess that showed the pressure was getting to them,but no excuse for that nonsense is acceptable.
Hope you see the game today and you will get my drift.
I have deliberately not mentioned any player by name in this little precis for you,but suffice to say they were all basically in very fine form.
Might have just sent a shiver up the spine of the contenders.
I thought they were improved on recent form in the Parra game.They surpassed that yesterday.
We now come to the testing time.Can they maintain the form?If the answer is yes,prepare yourself for some fun.

Aaron C,
As a non-Dragons fan (obviously) they were impressive today to be considereda genuine threat, if they can make it into the final eight. After yesterdays performance, I have no doubt that they will not only make the final eight, but could progress alot further.
They were undoubtably the better side on the day, and infact, I don't think the final score was a true representation of the difference between the two teams. The Dragons were, easily, at least a 25 point better side than the Brisbane Broncos yesterday.
But you are correct in saying the Broncos are not playing up to their usual standard at present ... but nevertheless, I don't believe that would have altered the result of the weekends game.
I think you'll be pretty impressed with the Dragons once you view the replay today. I hope you enjoy it.
Go the Bulldogs.

Latest posts