What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Team That Smashed the Hoodoo

Pepe,
Before last week Johns had one 1 week suspension in his entire career, and that was for fighting in a SOO match (how could you be suspended for that).
I don't think you could seriously compare the two judicary records, not with a straight face anyway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Johns has had a pretty good record before now.

I'm more curious about Chris Beattie.
Beattie shoved his elbow into the chin of another player, deliberately. The Match Review Commitee deem this act as being 'obstruction'. Beattie, with a bucket load of suspensions under his belt this year, pleads guilty and gets just one week on the sideline.

Craig Smith falls awkwardly in a tackle and connects with another player's face, accidentially. The Match Review Commitee has a look and gives Smith a GRADE 3 STRIKING CHARGE! A much more serious offence than 'obstruction'.

The St George club feels they have a defence. Bloody oath they do. But how do you defend against such double standards?

Thanks to all those that replied to the question I posted on this thread earlier.
Whilst most of what needs to be said has been said, I'd like to make a few brief comments on the game.
The Dragons were awesome in the first half. Their attack and flare was as good as I've seen for a while now from the boys, and they derserved to go into the rooms at half time with the lead they had. The Broncos were far from woefull in the first half, but were doninated by a more eager and electrifying Dragons outfit.
I think the Dragons lack of scoring ability in the secod half was more due to the hunger and an improvement from the Broncos (in comparison to the first 40mins), than a poor performance from the Dragons .... although they did drop off slightly. Credit for the Broncos though, as if they had not of lifted their game in the second half, the Dragons could have run up a cricket score quite easily.
As for the Craig Smith incident, it was clearly an act of non-intentions. It can be labled as a something incident due to the injuries that Walters indured, but there was no intentional foul play involved. Unfortunately, as many have stated correctly on this thread, his record with the judiciary will almost see his career end with the Dragons and in Australia, but it should most definately not.
Bring on the Semis!

Cheers / Aaron C.

P

pepe

warlock

what do you want me to address,i've stated it was unintentional,if you want hear a sob story for walters go pick up a qld newspaper.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Aaron:
While I agree with most of your last post I want to just blow away this myth that it is Smith's past record that will see him suspended.
You said...
"Unfortunately, as many have stated correctly on this thread, his record with the judiciary will almost see his career end with the Dragons and in Australia, but it should most definately not."
Sounds allright to me except for the bit that this is somehow 'stated correctly'.
There is nothing correct or just about a player being penalised for past indiscretions when indeed, he has already been punished.
Perhaps you mean that the Judiciary is biased, inconsistent and notoriously corrupt and will therefore suspend an innocent man just for the heck of it.... in which case I agree.
emwink.gif

One thing which gets mentioned often in the press and in this forum is the terrible injury to Kevin Walters... well, it's not that terrible... he'llrecover and will most likely be back in 3 or 4 weeks.... getting a wholesome send off from his supporters.
One thing that isn't mentioned enough is that if Smith fails to play anymore games in Australia, his contract with Wigan for next year is null and void. Smith has only played 15 games this year and to qualify as an import for Wigan, he must have played a minimum of 16 games in Australia in 2001.
Jim Hall's apparent dislike for Smith (aged 29) could see thisexcellent prop forward all washed up as a 1st class player. Smith deserves better.
I for one will be wishing Craig Smith the very best of luck tonight.

You're absolutely correct Willow.
That's what I was trying to say, I just didn't phrase it correctly. Sorry.
As we saw through last nights decision, the Judiciary are a bunch of unfair and heartless crooks.
It's just plain BULLSHIT that Smith has been outed for the remainder of the year.
I'm disgusted to put it mildly.
Cheers / Aaron C.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just to clarify my last point:
Smith still qualifies as an import for Wigan because he is a current international. I got my previous info from the press but it's since been shown not to be case.

Latest posts