What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread. Places you've been, places you want to go and recommendations.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Hello fellow LU forumites, one of the things that I'm passionate about is travel. But I haven't seen a dedicated thread around these parts solely about travel. So here we are - I've created this one.

This thread is for talking about destinations that you've been to, those you would like to go to and of course any recommendations are most welcome, in particular off the beaten track destinations (because the best gems are often the least explored). When I talk about travel, I like to talk about activities, accommodation, food, bars, shopping, the best way to get around, how many days to stay in a particular location to get the most out of it, likely budget and conversely what to avoid.

Obviously international travel is off limits at the moment due to the pandemic, but hopefully we will arrive at a future soon enough where we can all go off on overseas holidays again. But then there are always domestic holidays and there are so many great places to visit in Australia and New Zealand.

So without much further ado feel free to talk all things travel here.

Australia...

Ok so I now live in South Australia. Yep it’s got vineyards which everyone knows about. But it’s got so much more...

Here’s a few things which I think need a mention that folk will like..

Kangaroo Island.

Most Probably know of it. But what you mightn’t know it that it’s enormous. As a comparison, it’s roughly the same size as going from Avalon to the Royal National park? and inland to Parramatta. It’s epic for scenery, wildlife, beaches, fishing, has little townships amongst immense national parks. And it’s only just over an hours drive south of Adelaide to get to the ferry port that takes you over.

Adelaide - Fringe Festival

March is festival season in Adelaide - best climate of the year. The FF takes in the east end of the CBD (Rundle st etc) where the restaurant n bar district is heaving with people and street entertainment.. Then over into the parks there’s various “gardens” with bars (wine, whisky, gin etc etc), food stalls, and numerous tents to go see a show - music, comedy, bands. All accessible in the one big area. Been twice this year, and it’s awesome - with something for everyone..

Mclaren Vale, Clare Valley, Barossa..

All within a 90 minute drive from Adelaide. I love the Hunter valley but each of these blows the Hunter away in my opinion. All are amazing, all been written before. But if you love wine but don’t want to drive too far from the CBD, penfolds vineyard at Magill is only a 15 minute drive from the city!

Port Lincoln

Mostly known for being a Fishing port where Dean Lukin comes from, it’s thriving with everything do so seaside (like fishing, shark diving, exploring the coastline rock-scapes). There’s also a number of great pubs, hotels, restaurants - inc an oyster bar (no - not “the blue oyster”..). You can take a day to drive Soencer Gulf... or a 20 minute flight from Adelaide across it.

there’s plenty more I could write about here (inc the Adelaide Hills which I’m on the doorstep of...). But that’ll do for now..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Been to, and lived in every state. Basically anywhere where there is surf, Not really a fan of capital cities, hated Melbourne, loved Perth, lived in Scarborough on and off when ever I had to work.

Never bothered with the North West though as I never had trouble getting work where ever I ended up.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Australia...

Ok so I now live in South Australia. Yep it’s got vineyards which everyone knows about. But it’s got so much more...

Here’s a few things which I think need a mention that folk will like..

Kangaroo Island.

Most Probably know of it. But what you mightn’t know it that it’s enormous. As a comparison, it’s roughly the same size as going from Avalon to the Royal National park? and inland to Parramatta. It’s epic for scenery, wildlife, beaches, fishing, has little townships amongst immense national parks. And it’s only just over an hours drive south of Adelaide to get to the ferry port that takes you over.

Adelaide - Fringe Festival

March is festival season in Adelaide - best climate of the year. The FF takes in the east end of the CBD (Rundle st etc) where the restaurant n bar district is heaving with people and street entertainment.. Then over into the parks there’s various “gardens” with bars (wine, whisky, gin etc etc), food stalls, and numerous tents to go see a show - music, comedy, bands. All accessible in the one big area. Been twice this year, and it’s awesome - with something for everyone..

Mclaren Vale, Clare Valley, Barossa..

All within a 90 minute drive from Adelaide. I love the Hunter valley but each of these blows the Hunter away in my opinion. All are amazing, all been written before. But if you love wine but don’t want to drive too far from the CBD, penfolds vineyard at Magill is only a 15 minute drive from the city!

Port Lincoln

Mostly known for being a Fishing port where Dean Lukin comes from, it’s thriving with everything do so seaside (like fishing, shark diving, exploring the coastline rock-scapes). There’s also a number of great pubs, hotels, restaurants - inc an oyster bar (no - not “the blue oyster”..). You can take a day to drive Soencer Gulf... or a 20 minute flight from Adelaide across it.

there’s plenty more I could write about here (inc the Adelaide Hills which I’m on the doorstep of...). But that’ll do for now..

I love the Adelaide Markets, could wander around all day there sampling food and just looking at all the beautiful produce, wish we had something of that quality in Sydney.

Zadar

Juniors
Was thinking of going to Townsville to watch the chooks this year in July, have been to the Whitsundays a few times in late April for our anniversary, and was thinking this year to go somewhere different.

thinking of about a week up there, but not sure if I should stay split the time with magnetic island/Townsville? Is the water still nice to swim, places to stay and so forth. I’m sure one of the cowboys supporters posted a bit of a what to do/see when the new stadium was opening, but I could not find the post.

many thanks in advance.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Whitsundays shit all over Townsville/Magnetic Is for recreational activities. Not even close.

Zadar

Juniors
Whitsundays shit all over Townsville/Magnetic Is for recreational activities. Not even close.

damn, was hoping for a closer result.

we have been to Hamilton island about 3 times and we have always loved it, plenty of activities, day trips, shooting, golf, walks to isolated beaches, pubs and driving around in golf carts are all part of the fun, or just snorkeling around catseye beach lazing around.

so apart from the footy, might have to rethink the appeal of spending a week in Townsville over the Whitsundays.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
damn, was hoping for a closer result.

we have been to Hamilton island about 3 times and we have always loved it, plenty of activities, day trips, shooting, golf, walks to isolated beaches, pubs and driving around in golf carts are all part of the fun, or just snorkeling around catseye beach lazing around.

so apart from the footy, might have to rethink the appeal of spending a week in Townsville over the Whitsundays.

Cairns is an extra 4 hours and worth the trip, but if that's too far then Whitsundays all day

horrie hastings

First Grade
Was thinking of going to Townsville to watch the chooks this year in July, have been to the Whitsundays a few times in late April for our anniversary, and was thinking this year to go somewhere different.

thinking of about a week up there, but not sure if I should stay split the time with magnetic island/Townsville? Is the water still nice to swim, places to stay and so forth. I’m sure one of the cowboys supporters posted a bit of a what to do/see when the new stadium was opening, but I could not find the post.

many thanks in advance.

Thinking of doing the same thing as i have a Virgin airfare credit to use, from what i have heard Townsville is not much chop but would be going for the football mainly, would probably have a couple of days on Magnetic Island if i go or might possibly hire a car and drive down to Airlie beach and go to Hamilton Island or drive north to Cairns, have been to Cairns before but the drive up i would call into Paronella Park, a wonderful old ruin in the middle of nowhere, loved it last time i visited. Just not booking anything very far ahead at the moment QLD wise because i don't trust AP closing the borders on a whim.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
At least once a year i try and get away to a place called Grassy Head, it is about an hour north of Port Macquarie and just south of Nambucca Heads. Either go in March or November.
Hire a cabin there and basically just lay around by the pool, go to the beach, eat lots of seafood, have BBQs, go to the nearby club for the meat raffles and Chinese dinner, go fishing and drink to much, perfect holiday. Near the cabin where i stay is a restaurant tucked away on a hill in the bush, it has had a few ownership changes and always been good but the people who are running it now are the best the business has had, amazing food out in the middle of nowhere and a lovely couple even if one them supports the Rabbits. It is called Hot Myrtle.

http://hotmyrtle.com.au/

Zadar

Juniors
Thinking of doing the same thing as i have a Virgin airfare credit to use, from what i have heard Townsville is not much chop but would be going for the football mainly, would probably have a couple of days on Magnetic Island if i go or might possibly hire a car and drive down to Airlie beach and go to Hamilton Island or drive north to Cairns, have been to Cairns before but the drive up i would call into Paronella Park, a wonderful old ruin in the middle of nowhere, loved it last time i visited. Just not booking anything very far ahead at the moment QLD wise because i don't trust AP closing the borders on a whim.

not a bad idea horrie, I just looked up that you can catch a bus for about $40 from Townsville to Airlie, might look at spending fri,sat,sun at Townsville/magnetic then eventually fly back home from Hamilton island.

horrie hastings

First Grade
not a bad idea horrie, I just looked up that you can catch a bus for about $40 from Townsville to Airlie, might look at spending fri,sat,sun at Townsville/magnetic then eventually fly back home from Hamilton island.

Just had a quick flick at Qantas flights from Sydney to Townsville and apart from one Jetstar flight, Qantas either go by Brisbane or Cairns then change to go to Townsville. Haven't checked Virgin yet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Government to slash domestic airfares to get more Aussies to holiday at home

By political reporters James Glenday and Jack Snape

Posted Yesterday at 10:30pm, updated Yesterday at 10:56pm
255cfe56dd289706af36e4a4f0129d37

The government wants Australians to take flights to regional areas and spend money.(
AAP: Mal Fairclough

The federal government will halve the price of nearly 800,000 airline tickets as part of a $1.2 billion package aimed at getting more Australians to spend big on domestic holidays.

Key points:
  • The government has revealed its package to assist the tourism sector during 2021
  • Assistance includes subsidies for domestic air travel and money for Qantas and Virgin to stay ready for when borders reopen
  • The government chose 13 locations for discounted flights, arguing these rely on tourism
The move is designed to prop up ailing parts of the tourism and aviation sectors, which have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic and which fear the end of the JobKeeper program later this month.

Between April and July, a 50 per cent discount on tickets will be offered for flights to and from 13 regions that normally rely heavily on international visitors.

The destinations are the Gold Coast, Cairns, the Whitsundays region, the Sunshine Coast, the Lasseter region which includes Uluru, Alice Springs, Launceston, Devonport, Burnie, Broome, Avalon, Merimbula and Kangaroo Island.

Routes and the precise number of tickets will be driven by demand and are still being discussed with airlines, but it is estimated an average of 46,000 half-price fares will be offered each week mostly with Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar.

They will be available for sale on airline websites from April 1.

They say a flight from Melbourne to the Gold Coast could be as cheap as $60 and boost traffic on the route by as much as 40 per cent.

3ab87e438fc211fc50f6fd80454c5125

Broome is one of 13 locations targeted for subsidised flights.
"This package will take more tourists to our hotels and cafes, taking tours and exploring our backyard," Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

"Our tourism businesses don't want to rely on government support forever.

Download the ABC News app and subscribe to our range of news alerts for the latest on how the pandemic is impacting the world
More locations and routes may also be included later in the year, depending on demand.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the package was about more than just encouraging Australians to travel domestically.

"We're also backing the workforces of our international airlines and the teams and infrastructure they need," he said.

Existing support, like waivers for airport security charges, relief from Airservices Australia fees, subsidies for regional routes and international freight assistance have also been extended to September.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03...mic-assistance-package-cheap-flights/13235432

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mclaren Vale, Clare Valley, Barossa..All within a 90 minute drive from Adelaide. I love the Hunter valley but each of these blows the Hunter away in my opinion.

My first trip to Adelaide in 1998 my mate picked us up at the airport and took us straight up to McLaren Vale as he he had a hole in his red wine collection that he had to fill, went to Fox Creek and Wirra Wirra, probably went to others but i cant remember, Fox Creek make a sparkling red called Vixen, i was first introduced to sparkling red with this one and fell in love with sparkling red from there on , funny i just started drinking the Vixen just before my trip to Adelaide, my mate who lived in Adelaide at the time bought up big from Fox Creek, went to Wirra Wirra where my mate wanted a few different wines but they were out of the vintages he wanted but it was funny as where i worked in Sydney had a couple of the vintage he wanted and a bit cheaper than the cellar door.

Fast forward to 2017 which was next trip to Adelaide, went for the Roosters game and did a tour of the Barossa, went to a few wineries but the only two i remember off the top of my head is Lambert Estate and Pindarie, had lunch at Lambert along with the tasting and ended up buying up on their red blend called Black Sheep, the setting at Pindarie was just stunning, a beautiful winery, could have just stayed there and drink in the scenery.
I agree i like the Hunter Valley which i am spending a few nights there in May but the regions in Adelaide blows the Hunter away.

hmmmm...................my first trip to Adelaide was a footy trip and we ended up at he Penthouse club on the first night and, well..........................what happens on the footy trip stay on the footy trip

The Crazy Horse had me like a yo-yo... in and out like I was in a string..