What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trolling super thread

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Each of the four Super Rugby franchises have 30 contracted players, plus an Academy of younger players as well. The total number of professional players at both levels would be closer to 200.

The Tooheys Premiership in Sydney pays players $500 per match. Not much for some, but not bad for a student, for example.

The whole issue needs to put into the context that rugby union has had only 10 years to re-invent itself as an openly professional game. That's rugby union's fault, but it takes time to build a genuinely strong professional game, especially in a place like Australia, where there are three other strong winter codes.

For "re-invent itself" read "throw out 100+ years of the amateur tradition."

It's arguable rugby union doesn't even exist now. Just some bastardised thing called "Professional rugby union".

What a joke of a sport...

Calixte

First Grade
Thomas said:
Keep the trolling to TFC Calixte.

It serves no purpose in this forum.

I will correct incorrect facts wherever they appear Tommie...

To suggest Woods99 enters International (or LU generally) to contribute is to insult the intelligence of every poster on this web-site.

He can expect a rebuttal wherever he scuttles...

Woods99

Juniors
Calixte said:
I will correct incorrect facts wherever they appear Tommie...

To suggest Woods99 enters International (or LU generally) to contribute is to insult the intelligence of every poster on this web-site.

He can expect a rebuttal wherever he scuttles...

Calixte,

Even the paranoid are sometimes genuinely persecuted. You, however, are just paranoid. Take what I post at face value, you will live longer that way.:roll:

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Calixte,

Most of our sports have an amateur tradition. Even tennis was amateur until relatively recently, as were athletics, swimming, and all other Olympic sports. Cricket in Australia was effectively amateur until the Packer revolution, players got a tiny daily allowance when they played state or Test cricket.

It is impossible to understand the point you are making. Rugby union exists all right, just check out the IRB site, Planet Rugby, all the major newspapers, etc etc..

One of the great things about rugby union is that a lot of people do play the game as amateurs. Is there anything wrong with that? Professionalism will grow, but the amateur game will also grow.

Don't try and lecture me, grandfather.

I know more about this subject than you might think...or will ever know.

All of the sports you listed managed to keep the amateur-professional divide in-house. "Rugby" circa 1895 didn't. And that was your last chance to challenge soccer as the major team sport on the planet.

Ohhhhhh..........Shame about that. :lol:

Calixte

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Calixte,

Even the paranoid are sometimes genuinely persecuted. You, however, are just paranoid. Take what I post at face value, you will live longer that way.:roll:

Ahhh...paranoid.

You union trolls seem fixated on this word (and it's derivatives).

Seems like a natural description for people like you who:-

1. Hate rugby league;
2. Love rugby union;
3. Spend much of their time pouring over a rugby league web-site (waffler anyone?); and
4. Spend as much time again, trying to organise a "gang" to come over from a union web-site to this one.

:lol:

roopy

Referee
Calixte said:
Mods,

What happened to my two posts responding to Woods?
I restored your posts.
They were deleted because this good thread is being spoilt. I now find I can't split the thread (to save a good thread and let you guys squabble all you like).
I have asked admin why my power has been curbed.

Calixte

First Grade
Cheers, roopy.

I apologise but if the union trolls venture in here, they can expect the same treatment in the future.

I would, of course, prefer this stuff stay in TFC...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
roopy said:
I restored your posts.
They were deleted because this good thread is being spoilt.
\

Good threads will be prevented from being spolit by banning Woods and PW from the international forums. They are trolls who when they put on the "I won't rubbish RL".... add nothing.. I mean zero post contribution to that.

Every single thread that has degenerated into a RL vs RU slinging match will have at least one of those two as one of the participants.

TFC was created to house people like them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Woods99 said:
Calixte,

Most of our sports have an amateur tradition. Even tennis was amateur until relatively recently, as were athletics, swimming, and all other Olympic sports. Cricket in Australia was effectively amateur until the Packer revolution, players got a tiny daily allowance when they played state or Test cricket.

Do you honestly believe this BS??

Tennis has been widely professional for more than 50 years and professionals have been playing at Wimbledon for 40 years ( "until recently"...what, are you talking about last week?:lol:).

Athletics has a famous history of professional sprints in Australia over the last hundred years...

Crickets " effectively amateur"...?? How so? They have been paid to play for 100 years...How does that make them "effectively amateur"

Then there are other famous sports played by Australians that have been professional for longer than you have been alive ( 70 years :lol: ..) Rugby League, Aussie Rules, Boxing, Golf...

So it basically leaves Swimming... and Rugby Union until 1995 ( at least offically " amateur" anyway).

Dakink

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
\

Good threads will be prevented from being spolit by banning Woods and PW from the international forums. They are trolls who when they put on the "I won't rubbish RL".... add nothing.. I mean zero post contribution to that.

Every single thread that has degenerated into a RL vs RU slinging match will have at least one of those two as one of the participants.

TFC was created to house people like them.

My thoughts exactly, I tire of reading good international League threads destroyed by mud slinging Union fans.

I venture into TFC to read vitriolic debate, I come here to read and talk about our game on the international scene and how to better it.

We arent allowed to venture into the Union forum and flame so I wish they couldnt do that here.

Rant over:D

roopy

Referee
I'm going to move all trolling posts into this thread.

PM me if you think there are posts that belong here.

carlnz

Bench
It is a very neat street in one of those modern suburbs which come straight out of the packet, and befitting the dapper character who lives at No 11.

If this was the setting for a spy novel, this place in Mt Maunganui would be perfect for an apparently model citizen with an intriguing past, a double life.

There is actually nothing secretive about Peter Henderson's history. It's there in the rugby history books. But it was a double life of sorts, where sporting success was marked with a hurtful stain unfairly left by others. This sporting life was not always in such a neat street.

He was an All Black who had done no wrong, by any normal standards, yet was ostracised by the hierarchy, or as Henderson sees it, by one influential man at the top.

"Thirty-eight-and-a-half years," says the 80-year-old Henderson, when asked for the date that he was officially re-admitted to amateur rugby, having been outcast for the sin of playing professional league.

Tellingly, the length of the draining sentence is measured down to the last half whereas the year of release is referred to without the hint of a celebratory drink.

"It started in 1950, so you work it out from there. The whole time, I held a guilty conscience, that I had done the wrong thing."

As Australian league centre Mark Gasnier haggles between the codes in a blaze of publicity, and Henry Paul code hops at will, it is fascinating to visit Peter "Sammy" Henderson and re-visit his case for a contrast in times.

The leading rugby historian and writer Lindsay Knight, in Henderson's profile, suggests his long battle for reinstatement gives him a special rugby niche overshadowing the wing's ability, courage and the legendary pace which enabled Henderson to also be an Empire Games sprinter.

Henderson, who was playing for Wanganui, had returned from the 1949 All Black tour of South Africa - where he played in every test - to find his job as a dental technician had gone. Touring had cost him £400 and he had lost a similar amount in wages.

Henderson switched codes after playing against the 1950 Lions, using competing interest from three English clubs to secure a deal that would score him £5500 in fees over seven years for Huddersfield. In addition, he could earn about £1500 a year in bonuses.

As an indication of this worth, Henderson and his wife Leonie were able to buy a two storey, three-bedroom house in England for just £1500.

His league career included 250 games, over 200 tries, and a Challenge Cup final in front of a 92,000 crowd at Wembley.

On the other side of the world, in his homeland, he was classified a rugby outcast, even though no letter ever arrived from the New Zealand Rugby Union to state this, or declare what he could or couldn't do.

"It seemed farcical, even at the time," says Henderson. "They were cutting their own throats. People like myself and [other 1950s league converts] Jack McLean and Tommy Lynch had something to give back to rugby but they didn't want us. None of my mates snubbed me. It was the hierarchy, Ces Blazey mostly."

Blazey, the veteran sports administrator and New Zealand union chairman from 1977 to 1986, had headed the Amateur Athletic Association for a quarter of a century.

Henderson had already locked horns with the three-As in 1950, when they sent a please-explain letter after learning he had taken a first prize of seven shillings and sixpence in a 100 yard dash at Otaki. Henderson denied all knowledge.

It may be unfair to heap the entire blame on Blazey, but Henderson stoutly believes he was the man who blocked his re-entry to rugby, and poisoned other opinions.

Henderson's black mark meant he could not coach rugby, as he wished to do at the little country club of Ngaruawahia where he farmed, or get test tickets through the rugby union. But it was the stigma that really hurt.

His initial attempt at reinstatement involved having to organise a bizarre chain-letter of support which started with Ngaruawahia. It was sent in error by Waikato to Hawkes Bay, the venue for his last rugby match, instead of Wanganui, his last union. It missed the intended New Zealand union meeting, and his case went on the back-burner.

At times, Henderson would be persuaded by friends into official functions following internationals, but never felt at home. At one, Henderson was horrified to see Blazey handing out the whiskies and avoided a meeting. At another, he tried to chase down the chairman Tom Morrison who would melt away into the crowd every time he got close.

The Auckland administrator Tom Pearce once welcomed a post-test gathering, but added "those not re-instated shouldn't be here". When confronted by Henderson, Pearce apologised, explaining he had just helped re-instate another player that morning. Oh the power of it all - the witch-hunts and pardons - you can feel all these years later.

The irony is that this administrative behaviour was at serious odds with the camaraderie which existed among players, opponents included, in Henderson's playing days.

Over the years, Henderson enjoyed a firm friendship with the great Welsh wing and athlete Ken Jones, via sporadic get-togethers.

Jones, who died last month at the age of 84, marked Henderson in the 1950 Lions series and the final test in Auckland contained a number of famous moments involving the two.

Henderson's nickname of Sammy was given to him by a 1949 All Black teammate because of his penchant for diving to score tries. American Sammy Lee was a famous springboard diver at the time. Henderson produced his famous dive for a crucial try, after keeping Jones at bay, at Eden Park only to be chastised by fullback Bob Scott for not having run towards the posts.

"When you've got an Olympic sprinter on your hammer, you don't bugger about," Henderson recalled, as he lifted down relevant photos from his hallway.

It also says something of the spirit of the times that Henderson regards Jones' try in that test as his, Henderson's, greatest moment in rugby. The try, started by Lewis Jones from under his posts, and completed after a massive sidestep and 50m run by the other Jones, a 1948 Olympic Games sprint silver medallist, is a classic.

"It is my favourite rugby memory - the best try I have ever seen in my life. I was only 10 or 15 yards away from it," says Henderson.

"I hadn't seen Ken for the best part of eight years but I was shocked to read he had died. He'd been very ill for many years after a stroke and required 24-hour care, but I was under the impression he was improving because they were taking him to the odd game at Cardiff Arms Park."

Like Jones, Henderson is not a fan of the defence-oriented modern game. Professionalism, the word that led others to put a hurtful stone in Henderson's boot, has twisted the shape of the game.

He is horrified at players being allowed to take out opponents without the ball near rucks. His major bugbear is the mass replacement rule which means it's hard to work out who is on the field late in games. "They're actually training people to be replacements. If you can't play 80 minutes, there's something wrong. They put people on for the last two minutes, which is ridiculous."

The old photos are returned to the wall.

Leonie Henderson is battling leukaemia, and Peter - despite an appearance of fine health - says a spinal nerve problem has caused much pain for nine months.

For 16 years, he has organised a bowls tournament for former rugby players, referees and administrators at Mt Maunganui, which attracts 44 teams from Dunedin to Whangarei.

There are strict rugby representative qualification rules for what has become a treasured re-union, a rugby place that Henderson helped create.

Rugby was a mountain to climb, for many years. Now, the mountain comes to him once a year with - although not in any letter - official blessing.

In 1989, at another post-test function, the former All Black captain and New Zealand union councillor Bob Stuart, a Henderson supporter, approached.

"My [All Black] mate Keith Gudsell and I had got into the holy of holies after a test and Bob came over," says Henderson.

"He said: 'By the way Peter, your reinstatement went through today'. I looked at him and said: 'Do you realise I've been waiting thirty-eight-and-a-half years for someone to say that'. He just casually came out with it.

"The boot is on the other foot, with rugby chasing top rugby league players these days. I don't know what Ces Blazey would make of it all. He'd probably turn in his grave - and that wouldn't upset me a bit either."

Paley

Juniors
Thirty-eight-and-a-half years," says the 80-year-old Henderson, when asked for the date that he was officially re-admitted to amateur [union], having been outcast for the sin of playing professional [rugby].

Here we have an 80 year old man who comitted a sin! How ridiculous is that yet that's why rugby has had to fight against union for all these years.

bobbis

Juniors
Paley said:
Here we have an 80 year old man who comitted a sin! How ridiculous is that yet that's why league has had to fight against rugby for all these years.

I'd agree Paley that he comitted no sin playing league.
Banning players was wrong, so to was the hypocracy with which many unions handled amateurism, perhaps the wrong place to post this though?

roopy

Referee
bobbis said:
So why was my post moved to here is was on topic, a tad negative but completely truthful.
I have moved your post back to the original thread - but I still feel it is borderline trolling.
I have spent a few minutes reviewing your posting record - and you are not as negative as some of the blatant trolls - but i'd say you flirt with the boundaries.

Calixte

First Grade
That's because bobbis is an animal with many different brains.

Albeit, fairly undeveloped ones...

bobbis

Juniors
Calixte said:
That's because bobbis is an animal with many different brains.

Albeit, fairly undeveloped ones...

Numerous undeveloped brains thatd put me in front of you by some margin

Latest posts