What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The very reason Hayne has no case to answer

Fathead

Bench
The Hayne / Goodwin Tackle

The ball is being kicked through and is essentially a free for all, in that players can use arms, legs, knees, head ,anything to legally push the ball over the side line. Hayne appears to have this mind set when running towards the ball in fact if he had arrived a second before Goodwin and pushed the ball over the side line with his knees - we wouldn’t be having this debate.

Unfortunately Goodwin does have a little bit more speed than Hayne anticipated and Goodwin arrived at the ball before Hayne did.

Hayne can run 100 metres in about 11 seconds, that means that very roughly he can travel about 8 metres every second. Given the fatigue factor and being very conservative, lets even say that he covers the distance between the rolling ball and his position about 5 metres every second (and that is being very conservative)

At a certain point, the dynamics of the incident changes. Goodwin picks the ball up and the matter now becomes not a race for the ball but a tackle. Hayne now has to alter the dynamics and locomotion of his body to react to this. I would say that he would have been less than a metre away when this change between the race for the ball and the impending tackle takes place.

Having regard to the above-mentioned speed/distance formula and that Hayne would travel 5 metres every second. If he is 1 metre away – how is he expected to change his body position from one of trying to kick the ball over the side line to a legitimate tackle?
He would have less than .020 seconds to turn his body around.

This is quite frankly impossible.

The main thing to consider is this – You cannot view the matter in slow motion because you are taking into account reactions / speed / gait / body mechanics and these things don’t happen in slow motion. Life doesn’t happen in slow motion. You wouldnt view slow motion replays on a missed tackle and then ask the beaten player why his left arm was at a ceratin place and why his right foot wasnt nearer the player which may have caused the miss .. - The view in slow motion is moot.

The subsequent contact is purely accidental and beyond the control of Hayne.

(MODS - Didnt read the thread - WIll Hayne be alright - Please move if you think appropriate.)

Last edited:

Glenn

First Grade
If you play it slow motion it will always look bad. When you play it normal speed. he could not pull out.

Incidents don't happen in slow motion no way possible for Hayne to avoid the contact, of course there are going to be those that say he should be suspended. (mainly bitter Tigs and Dogs supporters ;-))

antonius

Coach
Hayne actually looks like he's trying to avoid him, very hard to change direction at that speed, I don't think he will be suspended if common sense prevails, I certainly hope he plays. Hayne and the rest of the Eels have transformed the comp this year, he deserves to be there.

Fishboy

Juniors
I think the thing going for hayne is the ball was lose and it was free for all. It was very unlike the gibbs incident where he came from behind and there was no way that he was going to stop the try so it was just plain lazy...............

I think no matter which way it goes, the nrl is going to be copping it.

strider

Post Whore
he actually looks like he almost sits on him but his knee cops him aswell ... he never really extends his knee (unlike the gibbs one - there are no real similarities tbh - as ppl said this is a loose ball incident)

unfortunately I think the pricks will charge him and we will have to contest it .... hopefully it can get downgraded enough or overturned

and I hope this doesn't sound like sour grapes, and I know he DID get him with his knee - but FMD the bulldogs trainers made him stay down to milk every ounce they could from that ... 8pt try, report, send off - they were doing their f'n best to milk all they could - and again later with the hannatt one - wankers!

Fishboy

Juniors
I mean - imagine this.... what if in the cayless-patten incident, patten was actually over the try line and scored a try? Would that have been a penalty try as well? I'm sure it would have been. So just because it was a tackle in normal field play, it gets deemed as a pure accident and play goes on.

Fathead - we'll said.

I think if there is any drama in this one, Parra will be lining up with QC's at ten paces, with this type of defence.

Slow motion is a bastard. Just watched the game on TV for the first time, and in real time there is nothing to it.

Desparation plus speed - there was certainly no malice in it.