What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wisdom of Dumping Shitchell

Paid off. Worthy winners.

I’d honestly resigned myself to being stuck with him until he retired - could not ever see anyone taking him. That was eleven painful seasons (maybe not 2013), I’ll never get back.

Just about threw a block party when it was made official he was gone. I’ve never seen a halfback do less in not one - but two - Grand Finals than Pearce.

Valheru

Coach
I’d honestly resigned myself to being stuck with him until he retired - could not ever see anyone taking him. That was eleven painful seasons (maybe not 2013), I’ll never get back.

Just about threw a block party when it was made official he was gone. I’ve never seen a halfback do less in not one - but two - Grand Finals than Pearce.

lol bit of history revision here

He was a sensational club player for us and there was nothing wrong with his performance in the 2013 season. 2010 GF was a tough day for all concerned.

In 2014 he nearly got us to the GF on his own back and was about the only player to perform in the finals. In 2015 there is no doubt we win the comp that year if Pearce didn't get injured.

That's not say I am unhappy with the decision to sign Cronk but to suggest Pearce was anything other than a very good player for us is ludicrous.

lol bit of history revision here

He was a sensational club player for us and there was nothing wrong with his performance in the 2013 season. 2010 GF was a tough day for all concerned.

In 2014 he nearly got us to the GF on his own back and was about the only player to perform in the finals. In 2015 there is no doubt we win the comp that year if Pearce didn't get injured.

That's not say I am unhappy with the decision to sign Cronk but to suggest Pearce was anything other than a very good player for us is ludicrous.

Revisionist? No...I was always complaining about him! LOL. How good a halfback can you be if you can’t kick a field goal from dead in front for the first ten years of your career!? Can you name another 7 who had the entire League watching them like The Truman Show with a morbid fascination to see if they could land just one? I couldn’t.

Anyway, it’s not to say he was totally devoid of talent. He could tackle above the halfback average, & had his purple patches (unlike during his indefensible Origin career)...I’ll admit it probably doesn’t help my opinion of him that he’s a total dickhead off the field, which is always an issue for me (screamed the house down when we signed Ferguson), but although his 2010 Grand Final performance was easy to write off at the time (we were never a chance), taken in context with his slack-jawed laissez-faire seen in the 2013 decider, it further cements the image of a choker.

In any case, I think my take on him was vindicated by the club’s decision to give him the boot at the end of 2017. He’s just not a quality player, & we were spinning our wheels with him in the driver’s seat.

This thread makes me think of Milford.

Mitch won something but.

“Won” is the right choice of word.

Maloney earned his premiership with us, dragging the team back from the brink when we were at death’s door in that Grand Final.

Pearce stood idly by & watched his 6 (& his opposite number) show him what real halves are made of.

“Won” is the right choice of word.

Maloney earned his premiership with us, dragging the team back from the brink when we were at death’s door in that Grand Final.

Pearce stood idly by & watched his 6 (& his opposite number) show him what real halves are made of.

Bit of revisionism there. Have a look at who created the try for Aiden Guerra in the second half which got us back to 14-18. Also have a look at which player didn't: (a) Wrap up Sonny Bill Williams when he put Maloney away in the lead up to the try by SKD; (b) Missed the tackle on SBW which saw him make a long run prior to Jennings' try; and (c) Also gave away the penalty which put us right on Manly's line when Jennings scored.

By the way, (a) to (c), they were all DCE.

Edit: Fixed typos.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
Revisionist? No...I was always complaining about him! LOL. How good a halfback can you be if you can’t kick a field goal from dead in front for the first ten years of your career!? Can you name another 7 who had the entire League watching them like The Truman Show with a morbid fascination to see if they could land just one? I couldn’t.

Anyway, it’s not to say he was totally devoid of talent. He could tackle above the halfback average, & had his purple patches (unlike during his indefensible Origin career)...I’ll admit it probably doesn’t help my opinion of him that he’s a total dickhead off the field, which is always an issue for me (screamed the house down when we signed Ferguson), but although his 2010 Grand Final performance was easy to write off at the time (we were never a chance), taken in context with his slack-jawed laissez-faire seen in the 2013 decider, it further cements the image of a choker.

In any case, I think my take on him was vindicated by the club’s decision to give him the boot at the end of 2017. He’s just not a quality player, & we were spinning our wheels with him in the driver’s seat.
So, all that really matters is that you think you were right. I hope the rest of your Rooster mates see your vindication, and fully comprehend the enormity of just how right you were. Especially Albert and stevo

I didn't think Pearce could cut it at SOO level, but I always thought he was a very good to excellent club halfback. All the Roosters fans I know always liked him and seemed a pretty good club man too. Each to their own I guess. I'd certainly have taken him over Chris Sandow.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I didn't think Pearce could cut it at SOO level, but I always thought he was a very good to excellent club halfback. All the Roosters fans I know always liked him and seemed a pretty good club man too. Each to their own I guess. I'd certainly have taken him over Chris Sandow.

Spot on, Mitch was a good half back at club level but he could not really take a game by the scruff of the neck or step up to SOO level. Mind you I was happy when we signed Cooper Cronk, the level of professionalism he bought to the Roosters was a breath of fresh air and I was not overall sad to see Mitch go in the end.

Latest posts