The WTF Awakens. A Dragons Story.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Bests Golden Boots, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Bests Golden Boots

Bests Golden Boots Bench

You seriously cannot see the problem with having three forwards backing up from Origin and not using a bench forward at all?

Life's Good and Zucchini like this.
  2. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

I think you may be right. I did notice that Mary replaced Vaughan in the first half and then brought him back on before halftime. I actually liked the idea.

slippery5 likes this.
  3. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

We were overachieving last year, just as we were in 2015. We also had a bad injury toll in those 2 years. Do you believe that Host or Lawrie would have done a better job than any of our starting forwards? I don't. Maybe Mary is doing the right thing. If I was coaching us, I would want my best players on the field as much as possible. Host's and Lawrie's time will come.

cussy likes this.
  4. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

I would rather the 2 points in the bag today and then think about next week.

5. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

The same storm we beat by 20? That storm? Because we beat them. By 20 points.

6. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

I want us leading the comp in September too, probably more than you do. lol I wanted us to win today, bad. I am very happy that we got the 2 points today. That helps us with the goal of leading the comp in September. I bet that if Bennett or Bellamy were coaching us and used the bench the same way and we were leading the comp as we are, all of the Mary bashers would be very quite about the coach's use of the bench.

7. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Our origin players had 5 days to recover. Backing up after origin should be a non issue.

8. 2010Dragons

2010Dragons Bench

The bunnies, Penrith and chooks and sharks struggled to win in this round.
    Maybe the bottom teams are desperate and putting in a bigger effort and the tops teams like my beloved Dragons just did enough to win today. Some very poor plays today all unforced errors, only 75% completion and the filthy dogs had 86%.
    First 10 minutes we were going to put on a cricket score then they all became complacent.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  9. Mickthedragon

Mickthedragon Juniors

This won't be a joke when our forward pack is busted at the run in to the finals. I hope it doesn't happen but with this idiot flogging them to death the way he does because he has no faith in any of our younger players, its a very good chance. Its great that we got the 2 pts, but at what cost?

10. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

My two cents;
    1. Not giving Host a run was silly - should’ve spelled Tyson, probably best from around the 30/35th minute, could’ve had Tyson come on fresher either middle or edge for last 15/20 if needed.
    2. Our middle players are not, repeat not, being overworked. Graham has played more games under 40 minutes than he has over 50.
    Vaughan averages 51 minutes, has 7 games between 40 & 50.
    Jack averages 57 minutes - only 4 games over 60 minutes.
    3. Mary doesn’t trust the second teir players, this is a problem. It’s absolutely right to give your best players the most minutes, by a long way. But it may cost us some games. Equally to be fair, if we take our full team into finals matches, we are going to take some serious beating. The problem is much less burnout over a season than it is in game tactics and long term depth building.
    P.s - the single biggest contributor to our fade last season was McCrones form going to shit, particularly kicking game. Not player burnout.

ALSGI, Life's Good, SGMax and 2 others like this.
  11. SaintPauli

SaintPauli Juniors

I'd give Mann a fair crack over next 3 to 4 weeks. I think he'll improve on today's ordinary at times performance

12. ouryears

ouryears Bench

Mate that is yesterday.
    It was great on the day.
    But form comes and goes, Storm are on the up, we look to be on the way down.

18to87 likes this.
  13. Objective View

Objective View Juniors

You use the term 'coach' very loosely.

Straight Shooter

ouryears likes this.
  14. Objective View

Objective View Juniors

LOL, one of your best.

Straight Shooter

Zucchini and ouryears like this.
  15. Saintsified

Saintsified Bench

If we were outside the 8 and someone said would you be happy to be winning the comp and playing shit? I would take it, we all would take it. Dohhh wait, we are no1?

Frank Facer and ouryears like this.
  16. ouryears

ouryears Bench

True Saintisfied, I would take it.
    I guess it's just the frustration to see the potential and realising most likely we will meet our day of reckong come semi final time.

Playing shit from May onwards, making the top 4 but then being bundled out in the finals will not being any satisfaction.

Even being minor premiers and then being bundled out will not bring any satisfaction or pride either.

Knowing we can do much better with a more strategic and thinking coach brings pain, not joy.

Saintsified likes this.
  17. ouryears

ouryears Bench

As the robot on Lost in Space used to say.....DANGER, DANGER, DANGER!

Mary won't heed any signs, just like Dr Smith, he keeps doing the same stupid things.

18. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

Strategically. Mary is definitely going down a crazy path of showing no faith in the second tier players.

I can only imagine how the minds of bench dwellers must be churning ...

It will not serve us well over time when we need these players who are being stuffed around.

19. 18to87

18to87 First Grade

Such as vs the Storm in a few weeks.

ouryears likes this.
  20. latemail

latemail Juniors

Mate you don’t win comps in June

Life's Good and ouryears like this.