What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These are the kinds of rugby league off-field stories which should get more attention

I know many people don't like my club, but the following is the kind of thing which should draw more attention than they do (and I'm sure there are plenty of other players at other clubs who do similar things which go un-recognised). Following is from the Wide World of Sports website -

Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell's charitable move to restore confidence in NRL: The Mole
By The Mole
2 days ago

After weeks of unsavoury NRL headlines, Roosters superstar Latrell Mitchell has done his bit to restore the public confidence in the men who play our game.

Quietly and without any fanfare, Mitchell has dipped into his own pocket to ensure youngsters from his home town get the treat of a lifetime - a visit to the acclaimed performers of Circus Oz this Friday.

Born and raised in Taree, Mitchell has worked with local officials and educators so that every child at the Manning Gardens Public School will attend the show at Manning Entertainment Centre.

Mitchell has close ties to the school - his father Matt was school captain in the 1980s and he has several family members there at present.

He often visits the school, telling the kids of his story and that they can realise their dreams - just as he has by playing in the NRL.

"I just wanted the kids to be able to go and have some fun, and get to see something they wouldn’t normally get to experience," Mitchell told the local media in Taree.

Now I know some might doubt the veracity of the story as the author is The Mole, but I can assure you it is legitimate as this shows - https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/H...aspx#/docid/HANSARD-1323879322-103426/link/69

So kudos to Latrell.

Anyone else got any similar stories to add?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Old bandana head would twist this to say league players get overpaid to be able to do this.

Nice won Latrell, I remember Matty Bowen rounding a coach up from hope vale to a home semi and a few others have done similar things. As humble as they would like to be about it it’s a shame he’d have to walk into the telegraph and jump up and down screaming about what he is doing only for them report that to do say he jay walked across the road in front of the building

Eion

First Grade
Its pretty obvious why these stories arent front page material...

After a few hours, i am the second reply.

Meanwhile, a dick pic starts a weeklong debate
The only way to get this story moving is to inject some controversy. I do this for the good of the game:

If Latrell wanted to ‘quietly’ do some good, maybe he shouldn’t have sponsored the entire school where it was bound to conveniently get out / conduct an interview with the local rag and have a pollie mate trumpet it in parliament.

T-Boon

Coach
The negative Sydney media is reason #101 on the why we need to relocate a heap of Sydney teams list.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I know many people don't like my club, but the following is the kind of thing which should draw more attention than they do (and I'm sure there are plenty of other players at other clubs who do similar things which go un-recognised). Following is from the Wide World of Sports website -

Now I know some might doubt the veracity of the story as the author is The Mole, but I can assure you it is legitimate as this shows - https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/H...aspx#/docid/HANSARD-1323879322-103426/link/69

So kudos to Latrell.

Anyone else got any similar stories to add?

Top work Latrell!! Hodko taking that poor kid to her high school formal last year was one in recent memory.

Dud for us on the field, class act off it.

AJB1102

First Grade
I don't wanna blow me own trumpet or nothin but me mate had half a sausage roll and a can when he said "hold this, gunna spewwwwweeeeeerrrrggghhhg" but I'm no dog ey f**ken smashed 'em for 'im. 'Ope got 'ome right ay.

Where is yas on vat Daily Telly huh?

butchmcdick

Immortal

Maybe if player got their cocks out while they did good deeds it would make the front page

Chook Norris

First Grade

Basically my first thought when responding to this thread.

The media basically tend to the news which elicits the strongest human response (i.e. negative news). If people clicked more on positive news stories then the media would do more of them. They have no incentive however given people simply don't care enough to read stories like this.

If you sample Facebook comments, it seems this negative 'glass half empty' perspective is much more common amongst NRL fans compared to other sports. So until that changes, it'll continue to be negative NRL news dominating.

big hit!

Bench
Scandals are only scandals in Anglo-American society...we're prudish and shocked and the slightest innuendo. The interesting thing is that it's these same societies that are extremely alcohol-fueled and boorish. Suppressed.

Go to contintental Europe where alcohol can be handled and they're a lot more open about sex and being expressive, and you're lucky if this shit makes the papers. The French president's wife is more than 20 years his senior, use to be his teacher or something. Imagine this happening here? And our politics is yet another reflection of our society here in Australia.....scheming, backstabbing, self-interest, with the media and public always focusing on the shit stuff rather than any good that goes on.

Hawkins

Juniors
Fifita the grub gave his MOM award to Ronnie Mac's and had his little mate with leukemia with him for the presentation interview with Freddy after the Penrith game. Kid said his fav player was Gal haha

He'd be used to it even his parents don't like him...