What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"They Scored 3 Tries off Kicks"

thebigredv

First Grade
Rather than watch a replay of the game, I thought I might just watch the press conference to get a feel for our coach's reaction to the game of two halves. Can't argue with what most of Mary is saying and I hope he does do something in the week to improve that lack of cohesion and unity which was present BUT

What does Mary mean by tries off kicks being a factor? We hear this one all the time from him, and now I am trying to understand how it could be an excuse. A few unlucky things happened to lead to tries for the Cowboys, but a try from a kick is still something you have to prepare for in your game plan e.g. position of tall wingers, fullback etc. Huge credit must go to our defence, it has always been a strength of McGregor's team and this year has been mirroring 2010 defence at times, but does this simply mean that we have to expect that teams will constantly score from kicks against us? What is he getting at? Can anyone shed any light?

hazzbeen

Bench
Rather than watch a replay of the game, I thought I might just watch the press conference to get a feel for our coach's reaction to the game of two halves. Can't argue with what most of Mary is saying and I hope he does do something in the week to improve that lack of cohesion and unity which was present BUT

What does Mary mean by tries off kicks being a factor? We hear this one all the time from him, and now I am trying to understand how it could be an excuse. A few unlucky things happened to lead to tries for the Cowboys, but a try from a kick is still something you have to prepare for in your game plan e.g. position of tall wingers, fullback etc. Huge credit must go to our defence, it has always been a strength of McGregor's team and this year has been mirroring 2010 defence at times, but does this simply mean that we have to expect that teams will constantly score from kicks against us? What is he getting at? Can anyone shed any light?
Its all good when we score tries from kicks , but when the opposition score it dosnt count . Its like what are they doing their not allowed to do that . Yea its a excuse IMO . Instead he should be saying its an area we are not real good at defending and we have to work on it .....

TomRedVRiver

Bench
As much as Mary seems to be turning it around this year, this has always been his biggest undoing for me.

A try off a kick is still a legitimate try and exactly as you said bigredv, you need to prepare your defensive structures for such an event.
Our problem is that our defensive structure is more likely to concede a try off a short grubber kick than most teams in this competition because of our compressed defence. Our edge players are always moving up on their man which can leave the try-line open to a short kick and a winger running through (we saw this with Mosby scoring untouched). It's too hard for the defensive players to pivot and cover the ball when they're moving up at speed. We've seen it happen in the middle of the field too with the big forwards struggling to get back in cover defence because they're all racing up on their man, which is great for the record, but it leaves no margin for error and has its downfalls.
It's definitely a weakness and we've been exploited a few times in the past. This is something that needs to change and be accounted for, not simply saying "well, that's how our defence works, teams are bound to score tries off kicks against us, we just have to deal with that".
Make the change, don't just say it doesn't count.

since77

Juniors
I'm going to do the unthinkable (for me) and reluctantly defend Mary on this one. Last year he dismissed tries off kicks as flukes that couldn't be defended against. In Last nights press conference he actually went as far as saying 3 tries off kicks was unacceptable. I can't imagine defending Mary again (barring a GF win) but his comment last night re kicks was ok.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm going to do the unthinkable (for me) and reluctantly defend Mary on this one. Last year he dismissed tries off kicks as flukes that couldn't be defended against. In Last nights press conference he actually went as far as saying 3 tries off kicks was unacceptable. I can't imagine defending Mary again (barring a GF win) but his comment last night re kicks was ok.

Agree with this.
Last year McGregor offered these up as an excuse, whereas, like you Since77, I feel he's now moved to it be more of that the opposition had to resort to kicks to score, which is a compliment to our line defense.

The Doc

Juniors
I'm confused. I thought Mary was stripped of basic coaching functions.

Straight Shooter
Leaving next years retention and signing of players to the recruitment and development person is a "basic coaching function"???
Surely you can understand why people refer to YOU as the clueless one!!
Answer one question for me champion.
Who is the coach of the team that is currently sitting first on the ladder?
:) see what i did there? You cant tip toe around that question... who is the coach?
If you cant at least give mary some credit for the team this year, then in all honesty your just a straigh f#ckwit!
Every single other fan that has bagged mary out over the last year or so and into this preseason (myself included) has had the balls to stand up and say so far they are eating humble pie.
Your the only f#ckwit that keeps dwelling on last year over and over and over again.
You attack us like we are saying he was a super coach from day one.
The facts are he is coaching us and he has us sitting first... we are the team to beat...
For that, i give him credit.
Sing with me, "oh when the saints"....
Come on grumpy pants, turn that frown upside down...
"Oh when the saints go marching iiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn"
Hahahaha does that celebration song burn you?
Does it have you running for the knife?
You must have been on the edge of life support watching last nights first half?
Now sing the team song, and smile.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Leaving next years retention and signing of players to the recruitment and development person is a "basic coaching function"???
Surely you can understand why people refer to YOU as the clueless one!!
Answer one question for me champion.
Who is the coach of the team that is currently sitting first on the ladder?
:) see what i did there? You cant tip toe around that question... who is the coach?
If you cant at least give mary some credit for the team this year, then in all honesty your just a straigh f#ckwit!
Every single other fan that has bagged mary out over the last year or so and into this preseason (myself included) has had the balls to stand up and say so far they are eating humble pie.
Your the only f#ckwit that keeps dwelling on last year over and over and over again.
You attack us like we are saying he was a super coach from day one.
The facts are he is coaching us and he has us sitting first... we are the team to beat...
For that, i give him credit.
Sing with me, "oh when the saints"....
Come on grumpy pants, turn that frown upside down...
"Oh when the saints go marching iiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn"
Hahahaha does that celebration song burn you?
Does it have you running for the knife?
You must have been on the edge of life support watching last nights first half?
Now sing the team song, and smile.
objective is a wanker. he is waiting for a loss

JDHD

Juniors
Kicks are much more difficult to defend than a team trying to score off running the ball. I think the point Mary was trying to make is that they couldn't go through or around us, so they had to put up prayers and hope they worked out.