What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think we might be in for a surprise this weekend...

bartman

Immortal
I could be way wrong, but I've got a hunch that GB are going to be very competitive in this match, with a chance of getting a win?

Thinking about it, the Fien deduction of points will leave the Aussies feeling pretty secure, as their closest competitor is now further behind on the table. Stuart is chopping and changing the team, and on form the Aussies shouldn't be worried and might be tempted to underestimate.

Looking at GB, Fielden was quiet and appears to have had the riot act read to him, and needs to pull out one of those strong dominant performances that he occasionally can. Morley on th ebench for impact and lifting them when they start to tire and need the inspiration injection (and not his usual hothead from the start risk).

There's an injury cloud over Maguire, and with winger Raynor named on a 5 man bench that means Pryce may shift to his preferred five-eighth position? Pryce has been talking it up, but he's the type that wouldn't get put off by taunts from the crowd, he could thrive on it. Seems the guy to back his talent and in the 6 he could be steeled for a decisive contirbution, taking the heat of Long?

GB with everything to play for, knowing with three games left to NZ's one, they could go close to jumping into the final with a best possible performance here against an experiemntal combo in a team that might take this one lightly. Stay tuned... and I'd be happy if my hunch was wrong!

The last time GB beat us was in 2004 when we were in a similar situation. We were already in the final and they were trying to prove that they were a real contender. This time the Poms have more to play for because they need to win to keep ahead of NZ. I also don't like the way Stuart is basically giving everyone a go instead of picking the best side. There's something not quite right about not picking the best team to represent Australia. I think this may be a good chance for GB to get a win, but I think they might need a couple more games to get on top of their game. On last week's effort they shouldn't beat us but maybe by the time they get to Brisbane they'll have sorted themselves out.

cookie36

Juniors
Who says, he is not picking our best side? I think that the inclusion of Lyons is the only way he can decide who the centre partnership should be. You could probably argue the same for cameron smith etc.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Lets hope so, its been a while since GB gave us a run for our money here in OZ. 1992, the last best Ashes series.

Should expect a closer scoreline than 64-10.

He must have changed his mind as to what is the best side then, because last week he had King, Hodges and Thurston in the side and now he has Tate, Lyon and Hornby. Thurston has been just about Australia's best in the first two games as well.

innsaneink

Referee
Its 17-17.

Remember for much of the season, Melbourne were morals to win the comp.

All the cards ARE in place for an upset, I hope not though, have only been to one other international ..last years loss to the Kiwis at TS

ozbash

Referee
yes, well ive been thinking about this a bit too.

who would the roos prefer to face in the final ?

GB by 6 on saturday. theres a chucking in the air....:roll:

miccle

Bench
Ever one for a conspiracy theory hey Ozbash?

Personally, I don't think Australia cares who they face in the final...

It's like asking someone if they want a ten cent coin, or two five cent coins. There may be a personal preference here or there, but the outcome is the same.

JJ

Immortal
miccle said:
It's like asking someone if they want a ten cent coin, or two five cent coins. There may be a personal preference here or there, but the outcome is the same.

who won the final last year?????

BTW, yes, ozbash is big on the conspiracy theories

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
The surprise would be if GB didn't cocede 50!

FFS - Aust have hardly been setting the world on fire themselves :roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
FFS - Aust have hardly been setting the world on fire themselves :roll:

We have played NZ. They are a good side. You guys played your worst game ever and still won last week!

miccle

Bench
JJ said:
who won the final last year?????

BTW, yes, ozbash is big on the conspiracy theories

The Tigers also won the premiership in 2005. In 2006... you get the drift.

Anyway, your point?

LordLeague

Juniors
Everyone seems to assume if Australia win by a narrow margin or lose that it is just because Australia played poorly. I think people need to remeber that you can only play as well as your opposition lets you. The Aussies are clearly a little unsettled by the way the Kiwis play the game, and the Kiwis have shown when they maintain their intensity for the full 80 minutes they are a very difficult team to beat, even for the Kangaroos.

The poms on the other hand still have to prove themselves. GB have failed to show in the last few years that they are capable of competing for 80 minutes. However, I expect a big improvement by GB on Sat night. To me it sounds like GB are finally starting to understand why they are not competing like they should. GB players are starting talk about maintaining intensity, kicking game, forcing drop outs for repeat sets. Basic stuff I know, but for GB, could make a big difference. If they are able to address these areas GB could push Australia or even cause an upset.

If GB cause an upset I'll wait for the usual Aussie cries of "we played poorly..we can't play any worse....the ref is crap....blah blah blah"

Don't get me wrong, I am an Aussie and love international RL. It just erks me that when another side gives us a run for our money, the Aussie officials and media moan about how bad we played instead of giving the opposition and international RL a bit more credibility.

Lord League

ledzep

Bench
I think this will be another close match, but the class of Lockyer and Inglis will get Australia home

Micistm

Bench
I would not be surprised if there's an 'underarm incident' in the air. Conspiracy theorist? No...sigh...just years of Aussie and GB clubs not releasing players, flexible in the way they give out suspensions, the amount of kiwis that need 'urgent surgery' after respective finals in Aus/UK...I laughed like hell when the Fein thing was called 'Darkest day for international League.' Yes, definately something for us Kiwis to be embarrassed over, but there's quite a few more 'Dark Days' and 'Flexible Rule reading' we could bring up...:p

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The game Australia only just won was purely because of the Kiwi's effort. I thought there were plenty of chances from Australia, but couldnt get through the Kiwis defence on occassions.

People forget GB played really well when they lost 12-8, again a last minute comback from the Aussies, in 2004.

I dont think theyve got any chance especially with McGuire out. Although, hows Pryce's kicking game?

mikdalton

Juniors
better than maguires. In fact his all round game is, hes the best GB player in my opinion. The only problem is Raynor on the wing, he's steady quite fast but not good enough for this level.

bartman

Immortal
I think the Pryce-Long combo will gel better than the Maguire-Long combo would, take some uncertainties and pressure off Long with Wellens familiar at the back too, Roby coming on after 25-30mins... it's all falling into place for a good first up GB effort v Aus, maybe followed by a better shot at the Kiwis next week?