What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Test Thread

Doctor

Bench
THIRD TEST SQUAD:

The only major change is Brett Lee coming in for Jason Gillespie who had been on track to be fit but has since had a change of status. No real surprises, but I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Clarke play one Test with Steve Waugh before he retires - perhaps an injury will see this happen at some point.

The squad:

Stephen Waugh (captain) NSW
Ricky Ponting (vice-captain) TAS
Andrew Bichel QLD
Nathan Bracken NSW
Adam Gilchrist WA
Matthew Hayden QLD
Simon Katich NSW
Justin Langer WA
Brett Lee NSW
Stuart MacGill NSW
Damien Martyn WA
Brad Williams WA

Anonymous

Juniors
:roll: India 2 - 0.

There is not enough strike power to bowl India out.

They should have tried either Nicholson, Kasperwicz or Noffke.

Rustay

Juniors
I think that Brett Lee will make a difference to our attack in this match, if he gets it right though. Also, Bracken should come into the side because it adds a bit more variation to our attack.

Oh yeah, I hate MacGill. :D

stormboy

Juniors
Lee has done it before against India at the G so don't be surprised if he stands up and b's counted in this Test

chileman

Coach
stormboy said:
Lee has done it before against India at the G so don't be surprised if he stands up and b's counted in this Test
Lee will have them very uncomfortable and he looks fit and raring to go....Bracken will do well and has Sehwags measure so far!

Kasper

Bench
Didn't anyone watch Shaun Tait bowl? The other day, this bloke is raw pace. He could of been just the thing to spark us to a third test win. Also how good has Kasper been goin? f**ken awesome, Noffke could also do the job easily.

Bracken #-o Left arm slow over the fence. Deadset if this guy plays we will have very little chance of winning.

Of the squad I would go for:
Lee-New seed, Down breeze.
Williams-New seed, into the breeze.
Bichel, first change down breeze.
Macgill, into it or possibly with it really depends on the pitch.
Also there is still Katich and big Steve himself who can also have a bowl.

budz

Juniors
Brett Lee is an attacking bowler, and has the ability to rip apart the Indians. But on the other hand i think if the Indian batsman get on top then Lee can be very expensive. I think he is a bit like Macgill in that aspect.

Alan Shore

First Grade
KINGLING said:
Didn't anyone watch Shaun Tait bowl? The other day, this bloke is raw pace. He could of been just the thing to spark us to a third test win. Also how good has Kasper been goin? f***en awesome, Noffke could also do the job easily.

Bracken #-o Left arm slow over the fence. Deadset if this guy plays we will have very little chance of winning.

Of the squad I would go for:
Lee-New seed, Down breeze.
Williams-New seed, into the breeze.
Bichel, first change down breeze.
Macgill, into it or possibly with it really depends on the pitch.
Also there is still Katich and big Steve himself who can also have a bowl.

Kingling, did you watch Bracken on the tour to India? Sehwag is his bunny, he troubled the entire batting lineup for India and has good variety, being a left-armer.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Brett Lee will stand up and be counted in the third test.

He has done his apprenteship.

Time to deliver. I believe he will.

Looking forward to seeing Tendulkar up against Lee. I think Sachin may hammer him around a bit. Sure he's out of form but batsmen like him can snap out of it at anytime. And when he does...ohhhh watch out.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kingling - You being a QLDer and Braken being from NSW wouldn't have anything to do with your opinion would it?

Tait will get his chance but at tyhe moment he is too raw. Braken is definatly next in line especially after the Indian tour.

Doctor

Bench
Parra_Eels said:
kasper is the forgotten man of test selectors

He bowls well for Queensland, yet the closest he has come in recent times is being called up to the Australian ODI side for India - he was arguably the best Pura Cup fast man last season but his age probably hurts his chances unfortunately.

With younger bowlers around it seems unlikely that Kasprowicz will be called up unless Australia lose McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Bichel and Williams all at once - they may need an experienced head in there.

I think that Brett Lee will make a difference to our attack in this match

His stats at the MCG point towards a bowler who enjoys the bounce and carry at the ground.
Thanks largely to his Test debut at the MCG in 99/00 (against India too) where he took match figures of 7/78 (including his best Test haul of 5/47), his overall stats at the MCG are better than his career stats.

Averaging 24, economy of 2.8 st/r of 52 - quite good for a pitch suitable to batting.

As for the 4th Test: His figures at the SCG are once again blown out by his 2nd career Test against India in the same series 4 years ago (6/106 for the match).

He needs control but otherwise I'm sure he will be an asset to a side struggling to trouble the likes of Dravid and Laxman.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Surely Bracken must play in this game, theres no way Bichel is a better bowler than him. If Bracken is 12th man yet again, I'll give it away. Whats the point of picking Bracken and leaving him as 12th man. He has a good ODI record against India, and I thought he bowled quite well in Brisbane.

I think someone like Nicholson, Tait, Noffke or even Kasper shouldve got picked.

Anonymous

Juniors
Brad Williams is the one that deserves to be 12th man. He has had no impact what so ever. Plus he has a dodgy shoulder.

stormboy

Juniors
Don't forget Brett Lee has his best figures against the Indians - 5/47 or there-abouts on debut at the G when the Indibums were last out here