What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is embarrassing.

Suitman

Post Whore
Courtesy from a post from Timmah on the NRL forum, the figures are in for season crowd averages.
Commensurate with our position on the table is our figure on the average attendances table.
We should be a powerhouse yet we are a f**king embarrassment.
It's shameful.

Average Home Crowds 2018
BRI 30,858
NEW 18,973
SOU 18,568
WAR 17,424
MEL 17,293
WST 17,291
SGI 16,606
NQL 15,417
PEN 14,204
CBY 14,159
SYD 13,274
GLD 12,807
CRO 12,700
CAN 11,858
MAN 11,229
PAR 11,175

T.S Quint

Coach
Wow, is this the first time we’ve ever finished last on the list of home attendances?
I guess when you play like we have this year, at a Stadium very few like going to, you are going to end up with figures like that.
I must admit, I didn’t make it to very many matches this season. I think I only went to 4 home matches, but that was mostly because of extenuating circumstances in my life, rather than just not wanting to go. I still had a season ticket this season, and will have one again next season, no matter how many games I will be able to get to (hopefully more than this year).

Gronk

Staff member
The elephant in the room is our code vs AFL. Both are on free to air. Both are on Foxtel.

C2933F1D-1A98-488A-BED3-A891A0FF3E06.jpeg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not having a home stadium probabaly contributed to our crowd attendances. I bet it changes considerably next year regardless of where we finish.

I recall that when it was announced that we would play at ANZ while Parra Staduim was being rebuilt, a lot of people said they would not be attending ANZ for their various reasons.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
The elephant in the room is our code vs AFL. Both are on free to air. Both are on Foxtel.

View attachment 23107
While yes our crowds suck vs afl, its a bit like comparing apples and oranges

AFL is mostly played at large stadiums and is a game on a bigger field so the spot you sit isnt as important .... so you can happily go along to the mcg and get a comfy seat

Plenty of league games are at inappropriate stadiums which i reckon turns crowds off

strider

Post Whore
Not having a home stadium probabaly contributed to our crowd attendances. I bet it changes considerably next year regardless of where we finish.

I recall that when it was announced that we would play at ANZ while Parra Staduim was being rebuilt, a lot of people said they would not be attending ANZ for their various reasons.
Yeah there will be a definite novalty factor boosting crowds

Gronk

Staff member

Most season ticket holders that I know have maintained their membership during the ANZ period. They wont go to ANZ have have paid their $450 each year simply to get a decent seat at Parra Stadium 2.0.

Delboy

First Grade
I know one couple who dislike the soulless refrigerator that is ANZ Stadium, that have had season tickets fir the past 2 years that have attended a total of 2 games a year. They just wanted to ensure they retained their place in the queue at the new stadium. Don't think they were alone.

The centre line sections were basically sold out to STH, lucky to be 50% attended to be honest. Apart from the teams performance, that stadium is a friendless hole.

Gronk

Staff member
The Waratahs are being compensated to the tune of $17m for the inconvenience during the SFS rebuild. I suspect that SFC are too.

It would have been nice if our club could have just opened the gates for a token payment just to get a decent atmosphere at ANZ during our period of homelessness.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I thought we were at rock bottom when Max was appointed and that things on and off the field would improve.

That bet was looking good last year but we have had the merkin of all merkinary seasons this year and are now worse off from what I can see.

People might go to the shiny new stadium for a few games but if we serve up the same shit on the field our attendances will quickly drop.

Noise

Coach
We supposedly hit rock bottom during the Kearney years, then the Ricky Stuart year, then the salary cap year and now again this year. I'm going to take a punt and say we might not be at rock bottom yet.

In terms of going to games, I had a season ticket and only went to 3 games this year (and one of them was an away game). It is the least number of games I've been to in a season for over 10 years.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
This is because Australian, in particular Sydney, sporting culture is horrendous. Only turn up when your team is winning. This doesn't apply to everyone but we had 41k turn up to the SF vs Cowboys last year where were all those people this year?

West Ham in the EPL last year were bottom 3 for a large part of the season and were 3rd highest average attendances with 56k.

Gronk

Staff member
This is because Australian, in particular Sydney, sporting culture is horrendous. Only turn up when your team is winning. This doesn't apply to everyone but we had 41k turn up to the SF vs Cowboys last year where were all those people this year?

West Ham in the EPL last year were bottom 3 for a large part of the season and were 3rd highest average attendances with 56k.

The are out there. We got 75,000 vs Dogs semi final in 2009. 45,000 to Hindy's last match. We often get 35,000 vs West Tigers during the Easter Show.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
It is terrible, but I agree with not playing out of Parra is a big factor. I didn’t renew my season tickets after 2016 because we were moving to ANZ, that and other reasons. Still went to a few games, not all.
I’ll be back to season tickets next year though.

hindy111

Post Whore
While yes our crowds suck vs afl, its a bit like comparing apples and oranges

AFL is mostly played at large stadiums and is a game on a bigger field so the spot you sit isnt as important .... so you can happily go along to the mcg and get a comfy seat

Plenty of league games are at inappropriate stadiums which i reckon turns crowds off

Ticket prices. Plenty time I was going to go with friends. Then we add up the $35 for a ticket. Getting there. Few beers.Its $50. When can order a pizza and watch at home.Nice and snuggled on couch.Warm.cosie.
When teams going poorly its a lot of money to watch them get flogged.

hindy111

Post Whore
It is terrible, but I agree with not playing out of Parra is a big factor. I didn’t renew my season tickets after 2016 because we were moving to ANZ, that and other reasons. Still went to a few games, not all.
I’ll be back to season tickets next year though.

Homebush is shit. No atmosphere so why go? Also nothing there. A shot pub crammed to get a beer and some fast food.
Parra stadium has atmosphere PLUS pubs close by to have a before or after drink and some great food options on church st.

If clubs smart they will play first grade and the reserve game together. Have a 4hr market set up around stadium for peoples partners or kids who do not want to watch game. A few cafe options outside etc.....

Latest posts