What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is getting out of hand

shiznit

Coach
i dont get what the big deal is.... deals in the final off season of a contract gives all parties a good amount of time to come up with replacement plans.

The Warriors and Maloney doing a deal this week is no different to the Warriors doing a deal in feb next year. its all in the same off season.

and i highly doubt Maloney will be playing for anyone but the Warriors next season... as they showed last season with how they reacted to Ivan Cleary announcing his departure mid season... there a professional outfit... who expect professional performances from there players...

Cheops

Juniors
Is there anything stopping clubs from doing this already? I'd say clubs aren't interesting in paying transfer fees because they cannot afford to as opposed to it being against the rules.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if there is a transfer fee, it comes under the salary cap on top of any wage paid to the player. If that's right, it would explain why there are never any transfer fees - it just wouldn't be worth it.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Although dissappointed that he is leaving us in 2013, i must say I am impressed he got it sorted before the season started.
Hats off to him for being a professional, and I hope he does well at the Roosters (except when he plays us, then he is free to have a shocker!)

Canard

Immortal
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if there is a transfer fee, it comes under the salary cap on top of any wage paid to the player. If that's right, it would explain why there are never any transfer fees - it just wouldn't be worth it.

Would be a strange ruling seeing as its not monies going to the player.

eozsmiles

Bench
If teams are smart and professional then they should be able to make it work, if you are an infighting mob of goons like Manly then you will hit trouble.

If all deals have to wait until the end of the year then things would be worse. Imagine a player being told he isn't getting a new contract and can't sign one until October. Clubs start pre season training in November. One of the reasons people hate mid season signings is that players seem to lose form when their futures are undecided. Sounds like a sh!t situation to have that going for the full season.

Might be best to have everything sorted 12 months ahead. Gives everyone a chance to move on. Souths lost their halfback midseason and never signed a new one. They probably would have been better served in a situation like the Warriors.

Latest posts