What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This top 8 system is getting beyond the joke

bender

Juniors
Looking at this years top 8, it really is getting ridiculous now. To think that a side like Canterbury, Penrith or the Roosters who by their own fans admission have had the very worse seasons they could possibly have had (performance wise) are still capable of being champions.

What is worse, a team like, for example the Tigers who have had a brilliant season above all expectations, will have the (assuming they are beaten in the semis) honour of telling their fans that they were semi finalists from this year, ie in 4 or 5 years time, their great season will equate to roughly the same as Manly's who (most likely) will also be semi finalists.

Compare the excitementof this years table to the one we would have if we had a top 5. Broncos fans would have been as nervous as hell hoping that Tigers lose last night to keep their 2 bites at the cherry and would be under enormous pressure to win next week. Same with the eels, who would be in real strife if they dont lose today. Storm, Cowboys and Sharks fans, who would have been on tenter hooks for weeks would be living and dieing on the results of games including their own as they all fight over the 5 remaining shots. If they make it they will be overjoyed just to be there, if they fail, they will be shattered. As opposed to now when they all know they will make the 8 but will all be disappointed anyway, unless they start winning games in the finals. I suppose Manly fans might get some joy out of the top 8. Though does a side really deserve to be in the final series if they cant win their last 2 games? Roosters, bulldogs and Panthers may also be beneficiaries if they sneak in, but does this have any of their fans really excited? Most of them have written off this season some time ago and arent exactly buzzing with anticipation of qualifying for a finals series.

Canberra at #13 still has a chance to make the finals if we beat the Eels today.

In one sense it is a bit of a joke as it should be limited to the best teams in the competition, but it's also showing how close this competition is, and it IS getting closer and closer all the time. There are a few teams at the top who are better than everyone else, but then there's not much of a gap between the other teams. IMO, that's only a good thing.

And teams like the Raiders or Panthers who play with heart deserve 8th spot more than Manly do anyway.

innsaneink

Referee
A 50/50 , or even worse win loss record shouldnt be rewarded...simple.

More teams in the semis = more $$$$ for sponsors etc.

fourplay

Juniors
Well imagine being a Souths fan. If its top 5 you know you have 0 chance of making the semis at the start of the year and probably wouldn't bother watching. Atleast they have a slight hope they can make it. Its better for the game and the fans all round.

gaterooze

Bench
I'm all for a top 8, and it will be even better when 16 teams are in the comp.

Look at it this way -- if the Raiders made the 8 from their position, would you say it's a bad thing? I'd say it's a great reward for a gutsy effort in the face of an horrendous injury toll. Ditto Bulldogs.

Everything is relative. The wooden spooners are only 3 wins out of the eight -- doesn't mean the teams are bad, just that the competition is so even. Would you say the Roosters or Panthers are BAD? Hell no, they've just been down on form.

innsaneink

Referee
And teams like the Raiders or Panthers who play with heart deserve 8th spot more than Manly do anyway.

Anything can be painted to make it look better than it is, and yes I concede the raiders have played well and tried hard for nil results, other factors there too....

...but in the end, its 9 wins...13 losses, you cant reward that.

aussies1st

Staff member
This year has been the closest the NRL has been in ages. Only problem is the 7th and 8th side are getting smashed. Of course sides below them aren't much better bar Souths and the Knights. Usually 7 and 8 don't get smashed and so no one thinks the 8 is a joke plus you don't usually have a team of the quality of the Knights in the spoon position.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Anything can be painted to make it look better than it is, and yes I concede the raiders have played well and tried hard for nil results, other factors there too....

...but in the end, its 9 wins...13 losses, you cant reward that.
Agreed. I could say exactly the same as a Warriors fan, our team has put in all year and played with heart, look at our for and against, close to even despite our position on the table. However it's the ability to WIN games that matters, there's no points for trying (unless you finish 8th equal and for and against comes into it). I'll be much happier with the 8 when its 16 teams and it means you actually need to be in the top half of the table to make the finals.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I don't see what the problem is, if you're so upset about sh*thouse teams getting into the 8...since they're so crap they'll get knocked out first round anyway.

And has anyone thought about it from the opposite perspective, that of the top 2? What i mean is...the fact that playing a relatively mediocre team is a reward for finishing 1st or 2nd over the regular season?

lemon rabbit

Juniors
The fact that the Bulldogs, Penrith and the Roosters can still make the final eight adds excitement to the game.

Lets remember that these teams only have a chance because Manly have dropped their bundle - if they had won only one more of their matches in the last two months it'd be done and dusted.

We have to stop thinking about the top eight like we do. I always think of it as another competition commencing, with half the teams gone.

The way it is now, it's exciting. And I don't see a problem with rugby league being exciting.

As somebody smartly said in this post, we suddenly lose the bandwagon fans of teams like Souths, Penrith etc if their team is no chance of making the top five ten weeks out from the finals.

Lego_Man

First Grade
And yeah, barring Joey's injury, the Knights would be in the 8, and nobody would be complaining. Not to mention the injury toll on the Bulldogs. This season has been out of the ordinary - substitute Dogs and Knights in there and you would have a really strong top 8 (and i assume no complaints from people).

Striker

Juniors
Originally i was against the top 8 and its only this season that i could see why the nrl are using a top 8, as spacemonkey said when there are 16 teams the top 8 will be great. The NRL has tried to create an even competition with the salary cap and we are finally seeing the rewards for their enforcement. the week in week out grind of the nrl is why you see sides in the 8 getting smashed in the back half of the season, it is obvious that it is mentally and physically hard to be at your best for all 26 rounds, brisbane is a great example of this. keep the eight!

KFC

Juniors
The fact that the Roosters are still a chance of making the eight says to me the system is flawed.

We have played dreadfully this year and we don't deserve the chance to play in the Finals.

Can you imagine if Easts, the Dogs or Penrith ended up winning the comp?

A top six would be the fairest way to go.

avsterooster

Juniors
i just think plain and simple it is ridiculous that more then half the competition teams make the finals...
so if ur the 8th placed team really you are in the bottom half of the comp and u are still mkaing finals??? just doesnt seem right

8 team playoff = 20 teams in the cmp
5 or 6 team playoff = 15 teams in the comp

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
They do the same thing in the NBA and that's a pretty big competition. tbh I have no problem with it. To make the 8 in a 15 team comp you need to have approximately a 50/50 record. Considering how close the comp is, a 50/50 records indicates that you will be competitive. The fact that a few teams who started the season extremely well are now running out of steam, has clouded people's judgment.

bender said:
Looking at this years top 8, it really is getting ridiculous now. To think that a side like Canterbury, Penrith or the Roosters who by their own fans admission have had the very worse seasons they could possibly have had (performance wise) are still capable of being champions.

What is worse, a team like, for example the Tigers who have had a brilliant season above all expectations, will have the (assuming they are beaten in the semis) honour of telling their fans that they were semi finalists from this year, ie in 4 or 5 years time, their great season will equate to roughly the same as Manly's who (most likely) will also be semi finalists.

Compare the excitementof this years table to the one we would have if we had a top 5. Broncos fans would have been as nervous as hell hoping that Tigers lose last night to keep their 2 bites at the cherry and would be under enormous pressure to win next week. Same with the eels, who would be in real strife if they dont lose today. Storm, Cowboys and Sharks fans, who would have been on tenter hooks for weeks would be living and dieing on the results of games including their own as they all fight over the 5 remaining shots. If they make it they will be overjoyed just to be there, if they fail, they will be shattered. As opposed to now when they all know they will make the 8 but will all be disappointed anyway, unless they start winning games in the finals. I suppose Manly fans might get some joy out of the top 8. Though does a side really deserve to be in the final series if they cant win their last 2 games? Roosters, bulldogs and Panthers may also be beneficiaries if they sneak in, but does this have any of their fans really excited? Most of them have written off this season some time ago and arent exactly buzzing with anticipation of qualifying for a finals series.

FFS if the top teams can't beat the 8th placed team in the Finals then they don't deserve ti be premiers either :roll:

innsaneink said:
A 50/50 , or even worse win loss record shouldnt be rewarded...simple.

More teams in the semis = more $$$$ for sponsors etc.

:roll:

What if Newcastle started there run a few weeks earlier. They'd deserve a crack at winning the comp.

aussies1st

Staff member
How can't you not beat the 7th and 8th team. Both have been flogged in the past 2 weeks.

knights04

Bench
I like 8 teams instead of 5. The AFL system is alright guarantees no eliminations from top 4 but no home ground advantage for teams 3 and 4.

El Diablo

Post Whore
knights04 said:
I like 8 teams instead of 5. The AFL system is alright guarantees no eliminations from top 4 but no home ground advantage for teams 3 and 4.

It was our system when we had it that way before. The AFL copied our and for some dumb arse reason we copied their old one :?