What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This top 8 system is getting beyond the joke

wittyfan

Referee
I think a bonus point system is needed to properly sort out the table. For example, points would be gained for narrow losses or for huge wins.

The Top 8 is here to stay.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I agree get it back to a top 6 for mine.

Although as a supporter of a team that may benefit from the top eight I won't complain if a place comes our way.

*Paul*

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
FFS if the top teams can't beat the 8th placed team in the Finals then they don't deserve ti be premiers either :roll:
They already have beaten them.

As pointed out in the last thread, any system that requires the minor premier win the comp a second time is problematical.

So whether the finals have 5,6,8 or 15, doesn't matter, the slate is clean, let the knockout comp begin.

pcpp

Juniors
knights04 said:
I like 8 teams instead of 5. The AFL system is alright guarantees no eliminations from top 4 but no home ground advantage for teams 3 and 4.

But they get home ground advantage for the second finals round if they lose and the third finals round if they win.

Unfortunately the NRL can't have that system since they signed a long-term contract to Aussie and Telstra Stadium forcing all finals to be played there until 2007 (?) and therefore potentially no finals advantage AT ALL for Teams 3&4.

bartman

Immortal
With 16 teams a top 8 starts to make a bit more sense, and hopefully reflect teams that have had a better than average season. It should work better depending on the draw and length of season they propose. But I agree with the original posters' point.

In English Superleague there are 6 team semis in a comp with 12 teams. The format seems to work well, ie
Week 1: 3v6 (sudden death), 4v5 (sudden death), 1 & 2 get week off
Week 2: 1v2 (winner to grand final), Week 1 winners play each other (sudden death)
Week 3: Loser of 1v2 v winner of other Week 2 game (sudden death)
Week 4: Winner of 1v2 v winner of Week 3 game (Grand Final)

So if you finish 3rd-6th you have to beat both teams that finished 1st and 2nd to win the comp (as well as beating two other teams in the first two weeks). If you finish 1st or 2nd you get a week off to start with, and then a second bite of the cherry as a reward for your great season. (If you finish 7th or 8th you get bollocks, as it should be!)

Only problem is that age old one about playing two games in a month if you win your major semi and go straight into the Grand Final. I think six team semis would have been ideal with NRL 14 or 15 team comps, and I hope ESL doesn't change it when they expand from 12 to 14 teams in coming years.

bubs

Juniors
You spend 26 weeks of the season for one thing.. To get a high position in the first round of the semis.

The higher you are, the more benefit there is for you.
The Queens, Squeels and ShowPonies are top 3. They play the 3 weakest sides in the first week, and the top 2 winners get a week off for their troubles.
I am a fan of the top 8 AND the McIntyre system.
It's just this year that the bottom 3 teams have had a dig this year during the 2nd half, when usually they don't. That has really tightened up the middle of the table with so many teams in contention to be kicked out during the first week.

This is the first season of top 8 playoffs that I think you can honestly say the 8th place team has NO chance of doing some damage in the finals.

I think this season is a bit of a one off though. I mean....how we ever seen a season where the bottom three teams at one point have the best form in the competition?

Have we ever had a year where the Wooden Spooners could make some noise if they were put in the finals series?

Hass

Juniors
Please.

The Top 8 has been a farce since 2000 when we moved to 14 (now 15) teams. The McIntyre system itself has been a farce since the year before when it was introduced.

Do people actually remember what it was like when we had a 5 Team Finals Series in a 16 Team Comp?

Making the finals was a really big achievement. Now missing the finals is a really big failure.

The finals should be about the best teams slugging it out amongst themselves to decide who takes home the title - not the best teams slugging it out amongst themselves and a bunch of unworthy hangers on.

The 5 team finals was also a perfect formula. Minor Premiers got a week off. 2 and 3 got a guaranteed second bite of the cherry and 4 and 5 were straight into elimination football.

We don't run a football comp so fans and players can feel all warm and fuzzy about their team being a chance of sneaking into the Finals when they've played like busted turds for the season.

Bring back the Final 5. 8 teams in a 15 team comp just makes a mockery of it all.

Cheers.

bender

Juniors
Hass said:
Please.

The Top 8 has been a farce since 2000 when we moved to 14 (now 15) teams. The McIntyre system itself has been a farce since the year before when it was introduced.

Do people actually remember what it was like when we had a 5 Team Finals Series in a 16 Team Comp?

Making the finals was a really big achievement. Now missing the finals is a really big failure.

The finals should be about the best teams slugging it out amongst themselves to decide who takes home the title - not the best teams slugging it out amongst themselves and a bunch of unworthy hangers on.

The 5 team finals was also a perfect formula. Minor Premiers got a week off. 2 and 3 got a guaranteed second bite of the cherry and 4 and 5 were straight into elimination football.

We don't run a football comp so fans and players can feel all warm and fuzzy about their team being a chance of sneaking into the Finals when they've played like busted turds for the season.

Bring back the Final 5. 8 teams in a 15 team comp just makes a mockery of it all.

Cheers.

Hass, I dont think that many of the supporters have experienced a top 5. Even for a side like Newcastle who have been out of the top 8 for ages, at least under the top 5 they could beat teams and have the satisfaction of wrecking their season. Falling from 3rd to 4th generally wrecked a season and obviously in most cases a loss could shatter a side's season by having them miss out on the top 5. Nowadays, when a side loses there is always next week, because a 50-50 win loss ratio (sometimes less) will definitely get you in. Every year there are generally about 8-10 teams in contention for the Premiership (admittedly this year there has been more due to poor starts for some teams which should make this year the most exciting top 8 ever). How is it exciting to have 8-10 teams fighting over 8 positions. Nearly everyone gets in.

The top 5 was better, they're not going to change it though because a top 8 means much more money and keeps the anticipation as to who is going to be in the 8 until the last week most years.

The problem I have with the 8 is outlined by Bender.

Roosters, Dogs and Canberra have been losing games left, right and centre for weeks yet up until yesterday all 3 could still have made the 8.

Foz

Bench
I liked the top 4 system to be honest but the league obviously like the revenue the finals series bring.
Having said that there will only be 4 or 5 wins between team 1 and team 8 this year.
The side running last may even be the form side of the comp.
Its a good comp so I cant argue with this year.
Its the years you get 10 games between 1 and 8 that I have trouble with.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
nospam49™ said:
Have we ever had a year where the Wooden Spooners could make some noise if they were put in the finals series?
Closest I can possibly think of is the '99 Warriors side, although I think they finished second-last despite a record end of season winning streak including a 44-0 massacre of Newcastle.

Mr Saab

Referee
top 8 is a joke when it is a 15 team comp. Even in 2007 when it is 16 teams it will be a joke.
Having said that, look at the team that has finished 8th since 1999 and look at the season they had the following yr.
In league, money speaks louder than sense

nospam49™ said:
This is the first season of top 8 playoffs that I think you can honestly say the 8th place team has NO chance of doing some damage in the finals.

I think this season is a bit of a one off though. I mean....how we ever seen a season where the bottom three teams at one point have the best form in the competition?

Big call last year the Raiders had no chance, but I am sure that we all agree it was worth them being there to see them go out and act like thugs and try to maim the roosters.

Tyron Smith had me cracking up laughing when he punched 1 of their forwards in the head when he was on the ground, was like a flashback to the 70's!