What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This weeks team

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not sure where it can be found.

NSWRL has not posted the PL teams as yet.

Sharks are not publishing Newtown teams

Newtown do not seem to post there team on thier web site.

I would imagine big league has it though.

2 True Blues

Coach
:roll: I have complained by telephone and email to those responsible. We won`t let it happen. Our name means everything to us . At least the Rabbits and Warriors didn`t try that with us.

PJ

First Grade
At least the Rabbits and Warriors didn`t try that with us.

ANd from that inference do you have any proof that the SHarks have done it to you, or could it have been some other party?

Below is an excerpt from the Shark bite mailer

"Newtown Jets to fly against Manly
The game prior to the Sharks-Manly NRL clash will feature the Sharks Premier League partners the Newtown Jets against the Manly Sea Eagles.

The Jets scored an impressive 30-10 victory over the St Mary's-Penrith team last weekend, with Sharks players Nathan Merritt, Beau Scott, Phil Leuluai and Reece Williams among the stars. Williams has earned a promotion to the Sharks NRL squad this week as a result of his strong pre-season and round one performance.

The Premier League Newtown V Manly match gets underway at Brookvale Oval at 12.15pm.

In the Jersey Flegg, Aaron Raper's Sharks team will be looking to continue their outstanding early season form when they take on the Manly Flegg side.

The Under-20's Sharks were awesome in the first half against the Panthers in round one, clocking up a 32-0 lead before eventually running out 42-22 winners.

The Jersey Flegg match will begin at Brookvale Oval at 10.45am. "

You may notice that the SHarks are calling Premier League team by the correct name of the Newtown Jets. What's more they are advertising them and encouraging Sharks fans to get there early and get behind the Jets.

You may also like to apologise for the inference that the Sharks are doing something that your previous partners didn't do and try finding the real reason for the cock up.

2 True Blues

Coach
The main ground announcer at Toyota mentioned the Newtown/Cronulla Jets Premier league team when giving scores.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I suggest we all calm down.

The partnership looks solid and some teething problems need to be looked at.

Jets fly over Kurnell all the time. ;-)

Bluebag

Juniors
The Ground annoncer only mentioned the marraige once otherwise they called us the Sydney Airport Jets and played all 3 Jets club songs which was great.

2 True Blues

Coach
I am the other half of ( 2 ) true blues and would say it is just a simple error, as this is new for everyone.

good to see the sharks have made some good signings from last years Newtown players. They are all going well as is the St George signings etc. Funny how they are instantly credited as Cronulla players went well, when they havent even played a game for their new club as yet.

Leuluai , Hall, Stosic, Manuas all went well. As they usually do and have for Newtown. good to see Phil appears to be on the run on side against Manly on Sunday. Thought he might get suspended for that high tackle last weekend.

Hope all of the NEW cronulla signings keep playing well. If so they might even get a chance to play for you's PJ.

I went to school with Mich HEALY and Paul BELL etc at Engadine High school years ago. This Cronulla deal works well for me as such as was always partial to the sharks having friends that played for them and friends who currently support them.

I am sure things will smooth out in the wash and it was just a simplemistake made by someone who was nt sure.

However the Newtown Jets should never lose their identity. It is all we really still have left. It wold be nice to see our club getting the benefits from the players its nurtures for a change, instead of just handng them over going into their prime to a richer club. Would be good for Col to have some talent for a change.with the opportunity to put it to good use.

Bluebag

Juniors
I will never stop wanting to own them. A black day for the whole arrangement in all 3 grades. But there is always next week.

Jeffles

Bench
The NSWRL website and the newspapers have the team this week as "Newtown Cronulla". I understand the NSWRL forwards the scores to the Associated Press. does that mean it is the League's fault. Quite possibly. We should be calling them.

I know what we should be calling them, too.

It's not like they haven't had much time to figure out what our name is.

I personally reckon we should go in and show them receipt no. 1 (from 1908) and point out that it doesn't say "Newtown Cronulla" in the "received from:" slot.

Sheesh.

ozjet1

Henson Park Hornets said:
koslecki said:
its only a name! and when the premier league trophy goes to newtown, where do you think it will be kept, definitely not in the 'empty' cabinet down south!!

What do you mean it's only a name?????

The reason that you support a RL team is because you identify with the team. I support Newtown becuase my team (Balmain) sold their souls to News Ltd for $8 mil and when I wanted to watch RL again I saw Newtown being a club that stays true to it's foundations of being a club that represents the Inner West. Now we are the Newtown Cronulla Jets??? When was this mentioned? Was this the plan all the way along? I don't care if we have 13 blokes from the Cronulla club in the Royal Blue, the fact is that the club should be called "Newtown Jets RLFC" END OF STORY.

You will not hear the end of this....

Newtown Cronulla Jets? My ar$e.
At Toyota Park a couple of weeks ago, i was appalled when the ground announcer introduced the Jets as the 'Newtown-Cronulla Jets' in their match against St-Mary's-Penrith. I'm sure many other Jets fans at the ground that evening would have felt the same.

I can stomach 'Sydney Airport Jets' for sponsorship reasons but, Newtown-Cronulla sickens me. Like yourself, I can put up with the fact that many of these guys are now employed by Cronulla (many of them won't even know what a Cronulla guernsey feels like and probably never will) but, the club they are representing is 'Newtown Jets', playing out of Henson Park, coached by Col Murphy. Players are attired in 'Newtown Jets' polo-shirts and carry around Newtown Jets bags on gameday. The guernsey or the club crest does not refer to either Cronulla or the Sharks.

Should the Jets PL team start aligning themselves with Cronulla in identity as well, then i'll be heading to Jim Beam matches only. It basically is the old Metro Cup anyway, the comp we returned to. Besides, I attended at Toyota Park the other week but, I won't be attending any other matches which are curtain-raisers to an NRL match in future. I won't be pumping money into the coffers of these clubs that stood around and let this great club die 20-odd years ago. Henson Park is where its at!!!!

I'd like to think that it was a one off situation that the club has now resolved, owing to the fans wanting their club to survive and prosper.
Long live the Mighty Jets from Newtown!

Bluebag

Juniors
During that game at Toyota Park after try's were scored they called the Jets the Sydney Airport Jets and played all 3 versions of the club song duringthe night.

Jeffles

Bench
The problem to be resolved is still with the NSWRL website and the Associated Press. I'm talking about Round 2 not Round 1. They still said "Newtown Cronulla"

Fanny Batter

Juniors
newtown hav only themselves 2 blame 4 this.they sed it was a joint venture wen they announced it.thats code word for merger/takeover i should no i followed illawarra.and phil gould called it a merger on the footy show and he played 4 newtown.of course ppl will think newtown-cronulla is rite.