What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thomo

GreenMachine

Juniors
What a champ. I mean really...

I met the guy last year through a long and complicated series of events. Anywho... At that point I remember thinking he was a touch soft and his constant need to surrender in every tackle was kind of annoying. But wow... What a player he is becoming. Inspirational for us in a losing side. I congratulated him on Sunday night and he laughed at me and refused to accept that he had played well. He didnt want to say that he had done anything more than anyone else... Completely humble and modest.

His only weakness these days is his lack of big shots. I havent really seen him clean anyone up. Where other props in the league are doing it week in week out.

Perhaps thats where he is best. Nothing flashy, just business. A tackle doesnt have to be huge to be a tackle???

reptar

Juniors
I think because he doesn't go for the big shots it means he's able to cover more in defence. Someone who's just put in a big shot isn't as likely to be ready to run out from marker.

GreenMachine

Juniors
Oh and my attempt to tell Dave Howell that he played well was met with a "are you taking the piss out of me" type face. lol...

The funy thing is, I wasnt!

I genuinely thought he had a good game. Better than most out there.

thickos

First Grade
Thommo's awesome and a champ of a bloke to boot.

His game has picked up remarkably since 2004, I think him regularly staring has made him a much better player. He's proved he can mix it with the best now.

Sure he doesn't monster anyone in defence but he doesn't miss many, does he?

Great metre-eater too.

:clap:

BAY72

Juniors
thickos said:
Thommo's awesome and a champ of a bloke to boot.

His game has picked up remarkably since 2004, I think him regularly staring has made him a much better player. He's proved he can mix it with the best now.

Sure he doesn't monster anyone in defence but he doesn't miss many, does he?

Great metre-eater too.

:clap:

both Thommo and Tonguey have been working really well latly in defence with their two in tackles.

and are stand out players in most games.

GreenMachine

Juniors
I actually thought tongue played sh*te on sunday.

He was among my worst on ground. One incident sticks in my head. He attempted a tackle about 5 times with no luck and eventually grabbed the guy and tripped him (legally, i.e with two hands on the player)...

Really was out of sorts from his usual shane webcke smashing self

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
GreenMachine said:
Perhaps thats where he is best. Nothing flashy, just business. A tackle doesnt have to be huge to be a tackle???
I think the whole notion of the work horse has been discussed on these forums plenty already. But I've rarely expressed my POV on it so here goes. I think all teams need a work horse or 2, but having a pack of players who are simply work horses who don't bruise the defemce ala SBW won't tire the defence as much. I think we are lucky that Raston will be one of those players - maybe not in the same league as SBW - who can hurt the defence.

Work horses are good when you have a lot of the ball so that it is constant in your face stuff for the defence. They are also good in defence to allow the other players a bit of a breather.

edabomb

First Grade
Well said TiTTs. We sorely lack intimidation in our pack atm, I think thats why we always seem to have more success when Weyman is fit.

nickraider

Juniors
If we start winning a few games and Thomo keeps playing the way he is, he could be in line for a country/city origin jersey. Good on him. Hope he can keep it up.

Philby

Juniors
I think when Weyman is fit and Willie Raston gets a few more games under his belt they will be the game busting front rowers we have needed for the past couple of years. Thommo has been outstanding and he will be our constant workhorse who has 20hitups and 150meters a game. I agree he could definetly see himself in a Maroon and Gold jumper in the not to distant future

Latest posts