What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers look beyond Leichhardt in drive for dollars

innsaneink

Referee
Tigers look beyond Leichhardt in drive for dollars
By Greg Prichard
August 15, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Wests Tigers would have made more money playing the game against South Sydney last Sunday at Telstra Stadium before anyone had come through the gate than they did from the record crowd of 19,402 at Leichhardt Oval.

The stadium's management is willing to pay large guarantees to schedule events and that is why the Tigers are continuing negotiations to play four or five of their home games there next season.

They are also looking to play a home game at Jade Stadium in Christchurch. The remaining six or seven home games will be split between Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium.

Commercial reality has triggered the move as the Tigers look for ways to get their home games to turn more regular - and bigger - profits.

Neither the Tigers nor the stadium management would say, but The Sun-Herald understands that if the two parties reach a deal - and it is highly likely they will - the Tigers will be guaranteed about $75,000 a game.

That is similar to guarantees they have received for playing several other home games at Telstra Stadium in recent years. The club takes that money away in profit since the stadium covers all costs on the day.

Some Tigers fans have been understanding of the club's plans for next year and others have rubbished the club for what they regard as an outrage, but the decision is a simple matter of economics.

"It's a business decision we have to make for the good of the club," Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said. "The poker machine tax the state government is introducing really is going to hurt and the responsible thing for us to do is look at more ways of making money.

"We haven't been spending up to our salary cap, but this sort of arrangement gives us the chance to do that and keep the good young players like Benji Marshall and bring others in alongside them.

"We're looking at it as a temporary thing for a few years while we try to get financial support from the government and local councils for improvements to Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium that would make them more profitable."

It is understood the Tigers made a profit of about $45,000 on the game last Sunday after paying expenses, which included $10,000 for the hire of a giant video screen, $10,000 for the hire of the ground and $15,000 for staff wages and the hiring of security and police.

About 20 per cent of the crowd gained free entry through the use of passes for registered juniors and junior league officials.

Had it been a night game the Tigers would have had to find another $20,000 for the hire of lighting for pay television coverage or $30,000 for Channel Nine coverage. Nine requires a greater intensity of lighting and clubs have to oblige.

The club lost about $40,000 on a night game at Leichhardt last month.

General admission tickets for a game at Leichhardt are $15, and an extra $10 for a grandstand seat. Children under five are admitted free and those aged five to 16 are charged $5. Most tickets sold for a Leichhardt match are for general admission to the huge hill area.

Money made through the sale of food and beverages and merchandising is not great enough - after costs - to make it a significant factor in the argument.

The ticket prices and costs at Campbelltown are similar to those at Leichhardt.

Telstra Stadium keeps the money from gate receipts and food and drink sales and accepts some responsibility for the promotion of games. The more people who go through the gate, the more chance they have of covering the guarantee and making a profit.

The stadium management is keen to hold as many quality events as possible to keep sponsors happy by ensuring advertising at the ground is worthwhile and providing corporate supporters with top-class facilities.

In other words

Crowd at Leichhardt= 19403=$45,000
Crowd at Telstra = 0000000= $75,000

????????????????????????????????????

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
I read the article

And as much as it hurts, it seems the right thing to do.

BUT

The important thing is this:

"We're looking at it as a temporary thing for a few years while we try to get financial support from the government and local councils for improvements to Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium that would make them more profitable."

If that is the clubs THRUTHFULL and OFFICIAL position, then i would support the partial-move!

vlad

juniors
If we move then you can forget about the other grounds getting any government money ... they'll say "but you already play out of a government funded stadium at homebush" ...

I hope Noyce makes good with his promise of ...

"keep the good young players like Benji Marshall and bring others in alongside them."

Once Dead

Bench
The thing is, what's the price of the loyalty and dedication of the fans? Is it worth that money? We do buy the merchandise and pay for our tickets, buy season tickets and everything else don't we?

daslacker

Juniors
Fair questions impellitteri
My question is
If we continue playing at a loss in 10 years will we have to merge again?

Juniors
daslacker said:
My question is

Not many clubs make a profit. I thinks its like only two clubs. But I think its a move the club had to make to increase its income. But I think we should scrap the game at Jade Stadium. We only got 11,000 there this year. We would be better playing it at Telstra Stadium. Then spilt the rest at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. But I will be annoyed if the home matches against Souths and Parramatta aren't played at Leichhardt Oval. The Bulldogs game has to be played at Campbelltown. They all get big crowds even when one or both of the teams aren't performing.

Juniors
innsaneink said:
I think the Jade Stadium deal covers three years.
Yeah thats what I thought. It's a shame. Having 4 home grounds is a bit silly.

daslacker

Juniors
Yeh jade is a bit of a shame but it's good for some of the kiwi players in our
team and our supporters over there IMO

daslacker

Juniors
#4 said:
daslacker said:
My question is

Not many clubs make a profit. I thinks its like only two clubs. But I think its a move the club had to make to increase its income. But I think we should scrap the game at Jade Stadium. We only got 11,000 there this year. We would be better playing it at Telstra Stadium. Then spilt the rest at Campbelltown and Leichhardt. But I will be annoyed if the home matches against Souths and Parramatta aren't played at Leichhardt Oval. The Bulldogs game has to be played at Campbelltown. They all get big crowds even when one or both of the teams aren't performing.

I thought the only club to mke a profit last year was the warriors.

I would like to know where the revenue from telstra stadium will be
going to?Will it be going into LO and campo,players or is for us to stay
afloat and improve our balance sheets.

I just don't want to see the next generation of weststigers fans have
to go through another merger or settle for supporting a poor team.

Stellar

Juniors
the telstra stadium move is a business decision so we can actually keep the club going and avoiding going under because we persist with playing at non-lucrative venues. The pokie tax was another factor into why wests made the decision.

id rather have a team who plays at many venues than have no team at all.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah the tax is in , Egan the treasurer just wont budge!

IF the move to Telstra is a short term thing then i too would support it. Bottom line is we cant afford to abandon our real homes.

tigger

Juniors
Another stupid article by a pencil pusher with an agenda listening to a Western Suburbs person who is currently CEO of the JV. NO MENTION of Campbelltown and the costs associated with playing there. Apparently when Easts played at Campbelltown this year, the net profit was $1,800.00 - no mention of that though! Record crowd and $1,800.00 to show for it. What disgraceful research and journalism by a rag that isn't good enough to wrap fish and chips in, let alone read.

Ctown Boy

Juniors
Ill support whatever the Tigers do!!

Telstra is an easy ground to get to, and hey if we are getting some good money for it, then it shouldnt be a problem. I have nothing against us moving, in the long run, we are trying to save our arses!

Ctown Boy

Juniors
Ill support whatever the Tigers do!!

Telstra is an easy ground to get to, and hey if we are getting some good money for it, then it shouldnt be a problem. I have nothing against us moving, in the long run, we are trying to save our arses!

Latest posts