What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers to call Homebush Bay home - BULLSHIT

Famous1

Juniors
Wests Tigers' move to Telstra Stadium will involve staging their most attractive four or five games there each year until 2009.

Sources say negotiations are all but finalised, with the joint-venture club aiming to time the announcement so that it causes the minimum amount of backlash from Balmain and Western Suburbs traditionalists.

News of a possible move emerged two weeks ago. It is understood that next year, the contract will probably mean four home games at Telstra Stadium, one at Christchurch's Jade Stadium and the rest split between Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium.

But if each club loses a home game with the expansion of the NRL in 2006, Telstra Stadium may host more Wests Tigers matches than either of their original venues.

"We are in discussions and we'd be delighted to have Wests Tigers playing at Telstra Stadium," was all the venue's chief executive, Ken Edwards, would say last night.

Wests Tigers CEO Steve Noyce could not be contacted last night but when he was asked about the issue last week, he said: "Given that we are trying to get some finance to upgrade both Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium, we are having discussions.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"We are looking into our options for places to play matches while that proposed renovation is taking place."

Club captain Darren Senter, meanwhile, announced yesterday he would retire at the end of the season.

"At this stage, I am in discussion with the club regarding my after-footy career and am very excited about the new challenges that may be available for me," the 32-year-old hooker said.

"Remaining with the club is important to me, as it's been part of my life for so long."

Jamie Lyon's uncle, Mick Smith, said last night there may be some developments regarding the former Test centre next week - as Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald warned any club wanting to sign him would have to buy out his contract.

Smith approached Canberra on Wednesday, and chief executive Simon Hawkins last night reiterated the club would be interested in speaking with him if he had permission from Parramatta to negotiate.

But coach Matthew Elliott said: "He won't be here," adding that salary cap constraints were the main reasons.

Fitzgerald said he was "not at liberty to say" how much a successful bidder for Lyon would have to pay Parramatta.

Smith said: "I don't really want to make any comment until next week. Things may be happening but I won't know until next week."

And first-grade referee Shayne Hayne, named as a touch judge for Sunday's Wests Tigers-South Sydney game, has been given the weekend off for personal reasons. Steve Chiddy is his replacement.

[/b]

BuffaloRules

Coach
Sources say negotiations are all but finalised, with the joint-venture club aiming to time the announcement so that it causes the minimum amount of backlash from Balmain and Western Suburbs traditionalists

When will this be - Christmas day??

Wests Tigers' move to Telstra Stadium will involve staging their most attractive four or five games there each year until 2009.

When we first discussed the potential move to Telstra a few weeks ago, I was a little skeptical that some people said that we would play the out of Sydney teams like the Cowboys and Melbourne at telstra.....

As if this was going to happen... Telstra aren't paying this money for the Cowboys....

Telstra will be wanting the big drawing games like Parra, Dogs,Manly and Souths....

Worst ground ever

mikey

Juniors
What a soulless place to play. It's like the SFS, Suncorp, and the Showground - a mortuary for rugby league.

I will never go there - the prices are ridiculous, the view hopeless, and worst of all there's no connection to either club.

If both of the founding clubs have it in mind to distance the past from the present then they are doing a good job. However, they had better be careful because at the moment it would appear to me it's only the 'old' fans from the founding clubs that keep the turnstile clicking, and that the risk totally alienating those fans.

Sincas

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:
Sources say negotiations are all but finalised, with the joint-venture club aiming to time the announcement so that it causes the minimum amount of backlash from Balmain and Western Suburbs traditionalists

When we first discussed the potential move to Telstra a few weeks ago, I was a little skeptical that some people said that we would play the out of Sydney teams like the Cowboys and Melbourne at telstra.....

As if this was going to happen... Telstra aren't paying this money for the Cowboys....

Telstra will be wanting the big drawing games like Parra, Dogs,Manly and Souths....

Worst ground ever

There will be a backlash from me for sure. Considering i was told personally that the traditional games against Sydney clubs such as Souths, Dogs, Manly and parra would stay at LO and Campbo..

we'll wait and see..

jirskyr

Juniors
BuffaloRules said:

The day after Tigers win the GF.

innsaneink

Referee
Code:
Wests Tigers CEO Steve Noyce could not be contacted last night but when he was asked about the issue last week, he said: 

"Given that we are trying to get some finance to upgrade both Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium, we are having discussions. "

"We are looking into our options for places to play matches while that proposed renovation is taking place."

This is the closest thing Ive seen so far that looks like a reason for the move.
Lets just hope theyre sincere.
Everyone should remember that theres been no mention of the word 'permanent'....there are reasons behind this and if they could do it another way Im sure they would.

Jux

Juniors
mikey said:
What a soulless place to play. It's like the SFS, Suncorp, and the Showground - a mortuary for rugby league.

I agree regards the showground, but I don't mind the SFS at all.
I haven't been to Suncorp, but it looks and sounds great for football by all accounts.

BJ

Juniors
when i first heard about this deal a couple of weeks ago i fired off a pretty long email to noyce stating my dissaproval and annoyence with the club at how they always find a way to kick the loyal fans in the gut and don't look after them like other clubs do..
of course 2 weeks later and no reply..
noyce only replies when he can give a diplomatic one sentence answer.. it's a joke..

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah this is a mighty shame, i know i'll still go but its a reluctant move . AS for when do they announce the move???? My guess when Benji's annouces an upgrade, Thats probably the most exciting time to announce it at the moment.

BJ

Juniors
either that or they are hanging out to see if the team makes the finals..
or they'll just wait till the off season where it'll get burried in the sports pages amongst the olympics or the tennis or something..

Crippler

Juniors
cant the club request day games only so we save on hiring lights when other clubs have the privilige of not having to.

Once Dead

Bench
Crippler said:
cant the club request day games only so we save on hiring lights when other clubs have the privilige of not having to.

You'd think that would be the logic

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
No use of the word permanent???
If theres no use of the word permanent because Leichardt is being upgraded - why the hell not play all the games at Campbelltown till Leichardts upgraded (This coming from a Leichardt fanatic).

Seriously Stadium Australia is the worst RUGBY LEAGUE ground for round robin football in the NRL. Even if you get 30 000 fans there , the atmosphere is pathetic. The views are shit. your still too far away. You cant here the ref blow his whistle, it has no tradition and lets face it theres gonna be 70000 empty seats at every game.

Id rather play ANYWHERE than Stadium Australia

B_Tiger

Juniors
I think there are arguments for moving to homebush but, they all revolve around $$$$ and balmain and wests had always prided themselves on history and loyalty. If we can't keep our jersey colours, if we can't keep our logos, if we can't keep our names and can't keep our home grounds, then what the f**k are the respective boards good for??? It is becoming harder and harder to support our club. I hate homebush.

gallagher

Juniors
I really can't see the big deal about playing games at Telstra. I started watching the maggies at Lidcombe, then saw a few games at Pratten Park around '85 then saw them move to Cambo. Now watch them at Leichardt too. Couldn't give a toss where they play...... esp since it means more $$$$$ in the account.

Palms

Juniors
Hope im not being to naive but Noyce did say that it was only temporary until the ovals got revamped..just a thought

Latest posts