What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers Win Foundation Cup

Bricey

Juniors
http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...shines-in-wests-tigers-foundation-cup-victory
Wests Tigers captured their first Foundation Cup victory at the Sydney Football Stadium tonight on the back of a superb performance from half-back Robert Lui.
Lui set up two tries, scored one himself, and kicked a field goal in the 19-8 victory over the Sydney Roosters in front of a crowd of 6893.
The 21-year-old also sent a strong message to Head Coach Tim Sheens that he is the man to start the season in the seven jersey despite the return of utility Tim Moltzen from a knee injury.
There appears to be no major injuries out of the match for Wests Tigers.
Wests Tigers lifted the Foundation Cup trophy for the first time since the trophy was first contested in 2007 between the two foundation clubs.
The Roosters opened the scoring in the 8th minute to winger Joseph Leilua after the ball went through seven sets of hands from a crossfield kick regained by the Roosters. Braith Anasta failed to convert the try for a 4-0 scoreline.
Some fine work by Wests Tigers half-back Rob Lui resulted in hooker and captain Robbie Farah scoring behind the posts in the 23rd minute. Lui took the line on from 10 metres out and offloaded in a three man tackle to Farah. Marshall converted the try to give Wests Tigers a 6-4 lead.
Lui again showed his class and what he can do with the ball when he again took on the line before providing a good short ball to put second-rower Liam Fulton over out wide. Marshall converted the try to give Wests Tigers a 12-4 lead after 27 minutes.
Referee Tony Archer denied the Roosters a try in the 32nd minute to hooker Jake Friend under the posts after he ruled a Wests Tigers player was obstructed in trying to make a tackle.
The Roosters applied plenty of pressure inside the Wests Tigers quarter in the final minutes of the first half but the defence held strong. Props Keith Galloway and Bryce Gibbs pulled off some solid hits.
2nd Half
Tim Moltzen started the second half at half-back, replacing Lui who was very impressive in the first half.
The Roosters got back to 12-8 when Leilua dived over in the corner in the 50th minute. The try came on the back of Wests Tigers full-back Wade McKinnon being uplifted in a tackle in which he lost the ball, leaving many to question where was the penalty. Anasta failed to convert the try.
Wests Tigers bombed a certain try in the 57th minute when Farah dropped an inside pass from Marshall 10 metres out from the tryline. It came after quick hands saw lock Chris Heighington put Marshall down the left flank in open space.
Moltzen moved to full-back to replace McKinnon with Lui returning to half-back.
Lui was rewarded with his fine game when he stepped through the defence to score under the posts in the 67th minute to stretch Wests Tigers lead to 16-8.Marshall converted the try for an 18-8 lead .
Lui then topped off his fine game when he landed a field goal right on full-time for the 19-8 scoreline.

Great job guys. Finnaly we get the Foundation Cup in the trophy room!

R2Coupe

Juniors
I was amused to read a Roosters' supporters comments to the effect if the position with the halves had been reversed ie the loss of one our halves vis a vis Carney WTS would not have performed as well.

The irony must have been lost on that supporter! Our first choice half having sat out the last 10 months and only now taking his first tentative steps into the NRL.

Tiger Crazy

Juniors
Did anyone see game Did we play well?? Heard roosters were pretty bad . Win is a win Give us some confidence for round 1 Will be interesting to see line up for round 1

The Rosco

Bench
I was at the game, and was impressed with Lui. He was both creative and dangerous in attack.
I'm sure you have seen tv footage of his late try. It was awesome to see it play out live. He showed the ball, dummied and mesmerised 3 defenders . . and glided or glid through under the sticks. ( I hate the word shimmy because it reminds me of Gasnier, but I'm pretty sure I saw him shimmy, too).
Not only did he have a great game, he had a great game and showed some massive improvement to his play. His defence was OK, but he was more than a hanful nearly every time he had the ball in hands.
If he can keep up this level of play in a few weeks time . . . he will be a star.
I'm a massive, massive fan of Moltz and the way he chimes in with Benji . . . but he might soon be fighting hard to get his shirt back.
Ayshford had a great defensive game. Benji went well. McKinnon showed some good glimpses too. The sauce did good as well.

Only a trial, but I reckon some good things came from it.

RWB

Bench
Looks like Gibbs might be out for round 1 with an injury... bit of a blow for you guys although you get Payten back.

RWB

Bench
Was talking to a Tigers player last night. Nothing major but he's definitely in doubt for Round 1.

RWB

Bench
I was at the game, and was impressed with Lui. He was both creative and dangerous in attack.
I'm sure you have seen tv footage of his late try. It was awesome to see it play out live. He showed the ball, dummied and mesmerised 3 defenders . . and glided or glid through under the sticks. ( I hate the word shimmy because it reminds me of Gasnier, but I'm pretty sure I saw him shimmy, too).
Not only did he have a great game, he had a great game and showed some massive improvement to his play. His defence was OK, but he was more than a hanful nearly every time he had the ball in hands.
If he can keep up this level of play in a few weeks time . . . he will be a star.
I'm a massive, massive fan of Moltz and the way he chimes in with Benji . . . but he might soon be fighting hard to get his shirt back.
Ayshford had a great defensive game. Benji went well. McKinnon showed some good glimpses too. The sauce did good as well.

Only a trial, but I reckon some good things came from it.

He stepped past a big tired prop, not sure it was as sensational as you made it out to be... :lol: still a good try though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKKI7nDrL0 13:00 onwards...

The Rosco

Bench
He stepped past a big tired prop, not sure it was as sensational as you made it out to be... :lol: still a good try though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKKI7nDrL0 13:00 onwards...

Yeah, fair call RWB. My Mrs has told me 48 million times that I exaggerate. She may have a point.

Still, like you say . .a good try, and he had a good all-round game while he was on the field.
I wasn't a huge fan, but may be in a few short weeks.

RWB

Bench
Which player?
What injury?
Are you enjoying all the attention?

Not going to tell you the players name, not really sure but I think it was a leg injury and next time I'll just keep it to myself doesn't bother me in the slightest.

N.C.

Juniors
So, here it is, next time already... Thought you were going to keep it to yourself?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. If true, Payten to prop, who to bring onto the bench?

Latest posts