What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Gilbert to commentate NSW Cup Grand Final

docbrown

Coach
Gilbert: "And he's kicked it right over the black dot..."

Fittler: "What are you talking about?! He missed it!"

:lol:

undertaker

Coach
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Gilbert called the conversion going straight over the black dot, when it missed the posts by a few metres. FAR BLOODY OUT! Vossy, on a bad day, still craps all over Gilbert.

pcpp

Juniors
Tim Gilbert: "straight over the black dot" when the Tigers player misses the conversion :lol:

Fittler makes him admit afterwards that he wasn't even watching it as "someone was showing him a card"

undertaker

Coach
Lol calling a successful conversion when it was clearly missed

Either Gilbert mustn't have his glasses on, is blind, geniused, or thinks he's watching AFL where you get rewarded for missing the goal. That was real amateur hour stuff from Tim Tam. I know that Rabs has been degenerating a lot over the years, but even he wouldn't have made that mistake

I've said this many times before and I'll say the same thing again: more than 50% of people on this forum could do a far better job than Gilbert with the same amount of training and experience he's been given

Tim Gilbert: "straight over the black dot" when the Tigers player misses the conversion :lol:

Fittler makes him admit afterwards that he wasn't even watching it as "someone was showing him a card"

If that's the case, Gilbert might as well be calling the game from a nursing home with the Ch9 producers giving him a pre-recorded script to read in the guise of commentary during the match. Is Gilbert that geniused that someone has to give him a card to read rather than watch the game and call what you see instead?

Last edited:

:lol::lol: Gus was tearing strips off him during the next conversion.

"Watch the touch judges Tim, if it goes over they will put these flags up, and if it misses they will wave them."

pcpp

Juniors
Since Vossy has been sacked i'm guessing Tim Gilbert is being groomed to be third choice commentator/second choice when Rabs retires?

So Ray Hadley and Tim Gilbert could be the "voices of rugby league" in a few years time. Watch our ratings plummet and the next TV deal to suffer as a result.

undertaker

Coach
Since Vossy has been sacked i'm guessing Tim Gilbert is being groomed to be third choice commentator/second choice when Rabs retires?

So Ray Hadley and Tim Gilbert could be the "voices of rugby league" in a few years time.

I highly doubt that Rabs will see out the contract until the end of 2017. He will be 74 then. At most, I can only see him go on for another couple of years, but even then that is pushing it. He should've retired at the end of this year, as many years ago when Ch9 won the Olympic rights he always said that 2012 London Olympics would be his swansong.

Watch our ratings plummet and the next TV deal to suffer as a result.

The next TV deal won't suffer because Ch9 and Fox don't have the first-and-last rights clause in the next contract (i.e. after 2017), so it will be open slather and they won't be able to hold the NRL to ransom like they have in the past.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Lol @ watching a classic replay over a real time game because of a commentator smh

:lol: at caring how I choose to spend my time on GF day.

From what I heard, none of the commentators could really give a damn and it was just a huge advertisement for Underbelly & Big Brother.

I'm glad they spent 5 minutes ignoring the game and talked about the history of Newtown and the 1981 Grand Final.

Was even better when they spent the next 5 minutes talking about the latest series of Underbelly. A player scored while they were talking about it and three seconds after Gilbert says "...and just getting back to Underbelly for a moment...."

Disgrace to Rugby League and our intelligence.

Mr Saab

Referee
That was sickening. Commentate the game and give the players the respect they deserve, not talk about a game 31 yrs ago. I love the history of the game, but there is a time and place. Sick of that tim tam talking about his past and how he used to go to Henson park with his father.