What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Sheens

FullySick

Juniors
I cant remember the reason why Tim Sheens finished up with us all those years ago. Did he want a fresh start somewhere else, did he temporarily retire, did we shaft him, did he recieve a better offer elsewhere......i cant remember!

Can someone enlighten me?

skeepe

Immortal
Sheens was offered a small island near Townsville to head up and coach the Cowboys. That's one of the stories I heard.

The main reason though I think was that he wanted to be up near his family, and the Cowboys made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I remember I was devastated when he left. It took us a long time to recover.

Edwahu

Bench
News asked him to move and when he said yes the club could only wish him the best after the service he had given. I think he had a year to run on his contract with us at the time actually.

Raider Azz

Bench
yeah he moved because he wanted to be close to his family, up in nth queensland. that and he was offered a small country.

skeepe

Immortal
So I was right about the island thing? I thought so, but immediately disregarded it because it sounded so stupid.

Raider Azz

Bench
WestsRobbo said:
I always thought he was shafted for meninga. but I could be wrong :D
couldn't be further from the truth. after sheens left a couple of coaches applied for the position, meninga being one of them. (i think the other favourite for the job was dean lance?). meninga got the gig.

ausraider

Juniors
Raider_Azz said:
couldn't be further from the truth. after sheens left a couple of coaches applied for the position, meninga being one of them. (i think the other favourite for the job was dean lance?). meninga got the gig.

And stuffed us up and the team is still in recovery mode.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
What happened was Sheens got approached by News to take control of a Cowboys franchise (which is what it was at that stage - certainly not a club) and build it around the style like he had at the Raiders. The request was accompanied with ridiculous money and yes an estate on Magnetic Island just off Townsville. Meninga had retired two years earlier, we'd fallen 1 game short in 95 after being very good things all season and the side was struggling with injuries in 1996 but Sheens didn't neccessarily bail on the team. I think he also realised that maybe his time with the club was up, not in an overstay his welcome sense but the side was loaded with veteran stars and as coaching goes he'd had what 8 years to teach that group and after 8 years your message can get stale especially when you've got a stable of superstars like the Raiders did. He took the money and the opportunity to start things his way again but as he's admitted he thought he could do it on his ability alone and the roster he inherited and then built (with heavy influence by News Ltd looking to distribute some big contracts - Roberts, Walters, Lomax etc) didn't fit the same profile as the talent laiden young group he inherited and built from 1988 onwards.

I firmly believe that Meninga was the wrong option to replace him but the appointment would've agreed with the star player corps because of the respect they had for Big Mal as a player and captain. But as in any sport sometimes a former teammate doesn't work as a coach because that line between teammate and coach gets hard to differentiate. Honestly I think Mal was out of his depth particularly with the stable of stars in his side - do you coach or facilitate a roster like that?

I think we needed a motivator to get the many stars we had out of their comfort zone esp after we threw away a chance at the premiership in 1995. If you read any of the interviews after that game against Canterbury in the preliminary final and almost to a player the Raiders shrugged the big loss off and said something to the effect of 'it's not a worry we'll be back next year'. Opportunities to win a premiership just don't happen and you always have a let down no matter your roster. Injuries killed the side in 1996 and the Dragons dumped us out of the finals despite Daley carrying the side into the end of the season.

1997 was the year we were relatively fit (apart from Stuart's health scare early in year) but had lost Steve Walters and a few forwards) and I think had we had the right coaching we would have won the premiership that year - Broncos or not. I've always had a theory that Daley ran the team from 97-2000 and Stuart when he played and was healthy in 98 when Daley was hurt.

But then again its just a theory.

sydraider

First Grade
I always felt 98 was one of the most disappointing years for the the club, considering the player roster we had!

FullySick

Juniors
Cool, thanks guys for the info.
Ive been wondering lately (since the tigers game), how come we let go of Sheens in the first place.
Thanks again.