What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a tough decision

Yosh

Coach
McManus to hooker? Really? I thought perhaps groomed for a centre spot post Tahu?

Mr48Volts

Juniors
I'm thinking Gids should come in at lock next year and fill for Bedsy when he's resting. His utility value and fitness are something the team will benefit from, but if atyrone keeps improving and has an off season working with Mullo, I'd leave him there. As for Jimmy he's got his work cut out but I do agree, Kev's defense hasn't really been tested yet. I'm thinking the Dogs game will change that.

Hanscholo

Bench
I dont think McManus would walk back into my side, nor Gidley at half at this point. I think Gidley's cards are stamped as hooker now, probably for the best. You cant keep kev naqama out of that side, the bloke has pace to burn, its a massive asset. McManus might take over from Tahu as the left side defensive centre, but i dont see him going back to the wing unless uate or naqama are injured.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Im one of Jimmys biggest defenders around here but even I can see the writing on the wall for him if Kev continues to improve. Id like to see Kev tested against a side that utilises slick outside plays (Dogs, Cowboys, Broncos) to really gauge his completion as a FGer. His attack speaks for itself and his kick returns have really stepped up since his 1st game this year, he is not getting dominated as often.

On Jimmy. He has given good service to us but his defencive form this year has been down and also his attcking ability under the high ball. Back in '09 he seemed to always get above his opponent but that has rapidly faded in recent seasons. I think he may be an option to move to hooker given his great work from dummy half, defencive soundness and speed (yes, speed). He has a reputation as a guy who can put in the hard work to learn a position so Id be confident he could work on his weaker areas (passing and direction) to do the job. I reackon some time with NSWCup and in the off season playing hooker may be the ticket

Physically there is a case that Mcmanus can play hooker, but I have massive doubts when it comes down to his ability to read a game. Watch the good hookers play and you will notice just how well they are able to ball play and take the correct options in attack. I see Merrit in Gidley being at hooker as he has spent plenty of time in the halves and at fullback over the years and this allowed him to get a good education when it comes to creating opportunities from dummy half.

Mcmanus has demonstrated himself to be a good meter eater who more often than not takes the correct option (similar to Mark Hughes). However there is a massive difference between taking the correct option on the wing, as opposed to at hooker where just about every play in the match comes down to the decisions you make.

I'm not saying that he couldn't play well at hooker, but at 26 (or there abouts), I don't see the benefit of training him up to play a position that is nothing like the position that he is more than capable of playing.

If Naiqama keeps his form going and Mcmanus isn't selected on the wing, then a bench spot may be the best option. He can cover for injuries in the backs and play the role of a second row forward against tiring defense.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Jimmy Mac as a bench utility would be a complete waste imo. There is no way I'd have him on the bench over Rochow, Taia, Cuthbo or hell even Costigan (okay I'm pushing it with Nev, bloody hands like feet). He is not a backrower.

With Scott (and probably Smith) here next year along with the likely promotion of a certain Korbin Sims, competition for forward spots will be fierce. If there is a bench utility required for next year, it will be Kurt Gidley to sub for Buderus.

It will come down to choosing between Kev and Jimmy. There won't be room for both. One will kick on in FG, the other will be depth and spend most of their time in NSW Cup. A delightful headache to have for Mr Bennett.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Physically there is a case that Mcmanus can play hooker, but I have massive doubts when it comes down to his ability to read a game. Watch the good hookers play and you will notice just how well they are able to ball play and take the correct options in attack. I see Merrit in Gidley being at hooker as he has spent plenty of time in the halves and at fullback over the years and this allowed him to get a good education when it comes to creating opportunities from dummy half.

Mcmanus has demonstrated himself to be a good meter eater who more often than not takes the correct option (similar to Mark Hughes). However there is a massive difference between taking the correct option on the wing, as opposed to at hooker where just about every play in the match comes down to the decisions you make.

I'm not saying that he couldn't play well at hooker, but at 26 (or there abouts), I don't see the benefit of training him up to play a position that is nothing like the position that he is more than capable of playing.

If Naiqama keeps his form going and Mcmanus isn't selected on the wing, then a bench spot may be the best option. He can cover for injuries in the backs and play the role of a second row forward against tiring defense.

Look, I get what you're saying here but I dont think its outside the realms of possibility. Shaun Berrigan successfully made the move from centre to hooker early in his career, although he did have experience in the halves previous to that.

In the end Id hate for the club to move him on and he is too good to just sit in NSWCup waiting for an injury. Hooker is a weak area for us and I can genuinely see skills in Jimmys game that tell me he could make the move with a bit of good coaching.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Look, I get what you're saying here but I dont think its outside the realms of possibility. Shaun Berrigan successfully made the move from centre to hooker early in his career, although he did have experience in the halves previous to that.

In the end Id hate for the club to move him on and he is too good to just sit in NSWCup waiting for an injury. Hooker is a weak area for us and I can genuinely see skills in Jimmys game that tell me he could make the move with a bit of good coaching.

Like you, I would hate for Mcmanus to not be in firstgrade somewhere. He is far to good a player to not be in the top grade. I just really don't see hooker as his position. I'd much rather see Buderus play out 2013 and then to replace him with a young dummy half from our system or to buy one. If we can't get one that is of quality, then I'd like to see Gidley play there until one becomes available.

Mcmanus at this stage would handle the dummy half runs and I'm confident that he could handle the defense, but to read the play and be creative with the ball in hand, I have serious doubts about.

In regards to Berrigan. I was under the impression that he started in the halves, then went to hooker and the last position he's played regularly was at centre. If anyone can confirm or deny that, that would be great :)

voltron

Juniors
well its still early days for Kev.
We'll have to see what happens when teams start to know his game more
atm he's an unknown quantity

i'm also looking forward to seeing yesterday's game tonight
see what else he does besides those that make the highlight reel.

because Mcmanus' key is his ability to get good play the balls, and getting us out of our own end.
I think its a bit early to be talking about replacing anyone atm.

RABK

Referee
Berrigan did start as a 5/8, then a halfback, then hooker all for Broncos and QLD before playing centre in 2005 and 2006 until Ennis season ending injury which saw him move back to hooker and win the CC medal in the GF. Has played the remainder of his career as a centre.

RABK

Referee
McManus would be a great dummy half runner but geez he'd be lacking in creativity around the ruck - although these days Buderus does do. I'd be welcome to him trialling a move there as i think his linespeed, strength and running game could see him excel there but he hasn't had to pass a ball more than twice a game for over 6 years... will he be up to making 60-100 correct passes/decisions a game?

I think it's far fetched though, if Tyrone maintains his form then Gidley will surely move into a hooker/utility role next year. As i said before injuries and rep duties will always ensure that Kev and Jimmy will both end up in double figure for games so it's a real luxury having 6 backline guns with only Boyd been on big dollars for the next year.

Boyd 450k
McManus 200k
Naiqama 120k
Tahu 150k
Gagai 150k
Uate 260k

Considering their recent form - we are really getting value for money this year and hopefully next year.

Last edited:

Rolla

Juniors
Jimmy to Hooker? Not a great idea in my opinion. He isn't creative, or particularly clever. I have never seen ballblay in his game.

Just don't really get that one tbh. Defending on the wing is nothing like Hooker either.

Either Kev keeps it up and Jimmy becomes a reliable backup, or Kev doesn't, Jimmy comes back and we have a firstgrade winger.

Joker's Wild

Coach
No, defending on the wing is different but I fail to see why that makes it impossible for Jimmy to do. Defence in any position is about attitude and he has that covered.

I really don't think its that out there tbh but I guess I'm just different

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Berrigan did start as a 5/8, then a halfback, then hooker all for Broncos and QLD before playing centre in 2005 and 2006 until Ennis season ending injury which saw him move back to hooker and win the CC medal in the GF. Has played the remainder of his career as a centre.

Cheers, that was pretty much my take on it.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Like you, I would hate for Mcmanus to not be in firstgrade somewhere. He is far to good a player to not be in the top grade. I just really don't see hooker as his position. I'd much rather see Buderus play out 2013 and then to replace him with a young dummy half from our system or to buy one. If we can't get one that is of quality, then I'd like to see Gidley play there until one becomes available.

Mcmanus at this stage would handle the dummy half runs and I'm confident that he could handle the defense, but to read the play and be creative with the ball in hand, I have serious doubts about.

I agree with this, he is a FG winger through and through and has been since his first NRL game. But I don't think he is versatile enough to play hooker. He is a good winger and could play centre (as he did before coming into FG) but I think moulding him into a hooker could be a bridge too far.

Not to say that physically he wouldn't be up to it, but the modern hooker is a play-maker and is responsible for so much of a team's direction in attack, people complain when we Hilder plays at hooker as he is not all that creative with his plays and delivers fairly slow service, I could see a lot more of that feedback if Jimmy was to play hooker. Yes his dummy half runs are good and he is technically a good tackler but I can't see him offering much creativity in attack in this position.

In relation to Kev v Jimmy, it's great that we have some healthy competition on the wing. I think if Kev keeps producing for the rest of the year he will hold his spot whether Jimmy recovers from his injury before season's end or not.

The real selection battle will then come in the off season where both guys will go hard knowing that they are each in with a good chance of getting into the 17 for 2013. That being said there will always be backline injuries and now that we are getting rid of a few dead-weight players for next year there is still a good chance that both Jimmy and Kev will get plenty of FG games under their belt for 2013.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Using hindset and the way Kev is playing, it makes the re-signing of Sau and Wes even more of a silly decision. We threw 400K+ at those 2 players. I'd be curious what Kev is currently on.

Mr K, I believe there are 3 positions available for Mcmanus. Wing - centre- bench. Anything else I see as a massive stretch. Like you, when I was thinking of Mcmanus at hooker, my mind instantly went to how Hilder has gone there. Mcmanus may be able to outperform him, but it's also possible that Mcmanus won't be able to rise to what Hilder has done at hooker.

Latest posts