What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for you to be the recruiter

Minh

First Grade
Id re-sign Marshall and buy Jackson Hastings if his mind is set on the job and at a reasonable price. He can play the triangle reserve role and mainly switch between Rein at hooker. If he goes well, might be able to transition into Marshall's spot or even Rein's after a year or two.

Would look at retaining some of our younger players and hopefully we can slowly blood one of our young players like Herbert or Carr to take up a wing spot when Nighty retires. Our forwards are strong and I'm happy with our centers so I guess if we can sign a really strong proven winger that might be a good idea although KFFL had a very good game last start.

Gippsy

Bench
Would you have grabbed Granville? I mean, he was a relatively-unknown QLD Cup hooker, played a handful of games for Broncos over a couple of years in his early-mid twenties, and exploded onto the scene when Cowboys picked him up. In hindsight yeah, he'd be great, but wasn't exactly a household name...

ATM, I agree, I'd go for Cherrington and Keary. Short of Keary, I'd go Hastings.

Definitely, he looked the goods when coming off the bench for the Broncs but would not have got a start over McCullough.

Same with Cherrington, looks the goods in the few times I've seen him, but can't get a start over Farah.

BennyV

Referee
Out- Rein, Marketo, Marshall, Quinlan, Creagh
Upgrade/retain- Dufty, Carr, Dodds
Recruitment Targets- Nikorima, Keary, Cherrington, Jayden Berrell, Shaun Lane

Seems an odd group of targets there...no point getting both Cherrington AND Berrell, and with Keary + a young hooker I wouldnt think Nikorima fits with rhe money he'd be after. And Shaun Lane wouldnt get a run in our strongest 17, no point nabbing him unless Thommo leaves...

OK back to this difficult task

Young players I would make sure are kept in the fold

Host, Dufty, Carr, Garrick, Sele, Herbert, Dodd

Players I would be keen to get a look at off contract 2016

Forwards: Tamou, Gillett, Cherrington

Backs: Keary, Robert Jennings, Mansour

Player to chase hard for after 2017 Tom Trbojevic (Would be great cover in a few positions in the backs)

Of course all of this is entirely dependant on who you pick up first because if you hit the jackpot early you can't have them all.

Fair to say i would upgrade a lot from the u/20's at the expense of depth signings taking up cap in the Cutters.

THIS...would 100% be after this guy..

BrissyRedV

Bench
Seems an odd group of targets there...no point getting both Cherrington AND Berrell, and with Keary + a young hooker I wouldnt think Nikorima fits with rhe money he'd be after. And Shaun Lane wouldnt get a run in our strongest 17, no point nabbing him unless Thommo leaves...

Wouldn't be aiming to sign all of them, more in order of preference. Nikorima I see as a halfback and not a hooker, although he does have that utility value to play hooker, half and fullback. Shaun Lane adds depth and utility value. Big boy and can play. I wouldn't rule him out of being able to nab a position in our pack over Matthews. Looking at our up and comers, we have plenty coming through in the outside backs but lacking in the key positions.

7. Nikorima/Keary
9. Cherrington/Havili

14.?Berrell
17. Lane

Last edited:

mobels

Juniors
Sign Keary or Nikorima to play 7, then Josh Addo-Carr on the wing to take KFFL spot on the wing.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Sign Keary or Nikorima to play 7, then Josh Addo-Carr on the wing to take KFFL spot on the wing.

I honestly think wing is the least of our issues and that KFFL has done pretty well there. Some more pace would always be nice, but we have some very good outside backs coming through.

Maximus

Coach
Also, who are our 25 contracted NRL players? Do we actually have 25 (from the list given), seeing we have already seen PM and Ikahihifo leave. By my reckoning we probably have 23 and 5 in tier 2 payments (Carr, YKG, Hutch, Milne and Quinlan...IMO but I could be wrong on 1 or 2). Although we just upgraded Sele and Herbert, I don't think they come into calculations until the start of next year.

We could let all 25 players go. We still have to have 25 players. There is no maybe it's 23 or 24. The top 25 is your 25 highest paid players. If one leaves, another replaces them on at least 80k.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Indeed. Has a chance to push for the fullback spot over the next few seasons and is still only young with time to develop. Heres hoping the under 20s re-signings will be coming in threes with his next.

If Dufty does re-sign with the Dragons then I would like to see him in the halves. With Nona reported to be heading back to QLD and McCrone still around until the end of 2017, it would give him a full season with the Cutters (apparently played in the halves before). Wallace seems to be in favoured for a hooking role and Hutch, well, I don't think he will ever make it into 1sts TBH.

As for a fullback, I liked the look of Jerome Hughes and I would be chasing him seriously. He looks a natural 1st grade player, especially if Duges wants to play centre. I don't believe Quinlan will be ioffered a new contract and may get picked up as a permanent player for the Cutters next year.

Mr Red

First Grade
We could let all 25 players go. We still have to have 25 players. There is no maybe it's 23 or 24. The top 25 is your 25 highest paid players. If one leaves, another replaces them on at least 80k.

Please explain who replaced Peter M and Ikahihifo in the tier 1 top 25 contracted based on your logic....

DeeJay1983

Juniors
I don't care who we sign. I just hope we give some of our up and comers a go. Sadly Mary doesn't seem to be the kind of coach who believes in doing that. He seems determined to stick with experience.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I think we need to transition some of these younger guys like Dufty and Carr into fg. Dufty is 20, while Carr is already 21. I remember in 2013 when the roorters graded Tapou and RTS on the wings, I bet they were younger than both Carr and Dufty. Sure RTS is an exceptional player, but Tapou?
Our problem is we keep saying " his not ready yet", or he "needs a year in the cutters." How many times have we heard that rubbish! But I guess this is what you get when you appoint two coaches solely focused on getting a contract extension.
Anyway besides blooding more juniors, we need a game manager in the halves. Don't care who it is, Keary, nikorima, ash Taylor, Hastings, whoever.

possm

Coach
A hard exercise in light of no one knows who really gets paid what legitimately or under the table.

I have marked my keepers in bold and key acquisitions would be half, hooker, centre, winger and a big power forward with proven credentials.

I have kept Masoe to see if he can deliver what was expected, let go JDB as Sims would be of similar value IMO.

If Widdop didn't deliver big bang for buck next year he would be on the clean out at the end of next year and most likely Nighty as well as time is catching up with him.

Most of our squad is locked in for 2017. My squad of the top 25 for 2017 season is:

1 Ah Mau (2018)
2 Aitken (2017)
3 Cooper (2017)
4 De Belin (2017)
5 Dugan (2017)
6 KFFL (2017)
7 Friz (2018)
8 YKG (2017)
9 Havili (2017)
10 Hutch (2017)
11 Lafai (2017)
12 Lui (2017)
13 Mann (2017)
14 Marshall (2016) replace with Keary/Hastings
15 Masoe (2017)
16 Matthews (2) replace with Host
17 McCarthy (2017)
18 McCrone (2017)
19 Milne (2017)
20 Gypsy (2017)
21 Packer (2017)
22 Rein (2016) replace with Segyaro
23 Sims
24 Thompson (2016*) replace with Gellette
25 Widdop (2017).

getsmarty

Immortal
Most of our squad is locked in for 2017. My squad of the top 25 for 2017 season is:

1 Ah Mau (2018)
2 Aitken (2017)
3 Cooper (2017)
4 De Belin (2017)
5 Dugan (2017)
6 KFFL (2017)
7 Friz (2018)
8 YKG (2017)
9 Havili (2017)
10 Hutch (2017)
11 Lafai (2017)
12 Lui (2017)
13 Mann (2017)
14 Marshall (2016) replace with Keary/Hastings
15 Masoe (2017)
16 Matthews (2) replace with Host
17 McCarthy (2017)
18 McCrone (2017)
19 Milne (2017)
20 Gypsy (2017)
21 Packer (2017)
22 Rein (2016) replace with Segyaro
23 Sims
24 Thompson (2016*) replace with Gellette
25 Widdop (2017).

Don't agree with Matthews > Host. Would prefer McCarthy > Host

Thompson rumored to be re-Signing and we are no chance of Gillett.

Paul Vaughn from the Raiders would be a worthwhile pickup...

Dragsters

First Grade
Don't agree with Matthews > Host. Would prefer McCarthy > Host

Thompson rumored to be re-Signing and we are no chance of Gillett.

Paul Vaughn from the Raiders would be a worthwhile pickup...

I like Paul Vaughn, big and tough and on the outer at the raiders it seems with all of their new recruits up front.

Could be valuable in the prop rotation particularly if we could nab him by June 30 with Mose out.

Maximus

Coach
Please explain who replaced Peter M and Ikahihifo in the tier 1 top 25 contracted based on your logic....

Logic? It's a f**king fact that you have to have a 25 man squad under the salary cap. There is no top 22. Or 23, 24, 26, 27, 28 or any number other than 25.

Whoever are the next 2 highest paid players replaced them. Unlike some people on here, I don't pretend to know how much players are paid.

Mr Red

First Grade
Logic?
Whoever are the next 2 highest paid players replaced them..

This is the part I am questioning . Completely false I think..
I don't believe automatically the next two highest paid outside the 25 step up. The club can offer contracts prior to June 30 to anyone including external to the club if they have a spot in the roster free and space under the cap.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge here can help.....
Based on my understanding we could have potentially 2 places on the roster free still to recruit into prior to June 30 hence all the talk about trying to get Sims on board immediately.

Last edited:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Logic? It's a f**king fact that you have to have a 25 man squad under the salary cap. There is no top 22. Or 23, 24, 26, 27, 28 or any number other than 25.

Whoever are the next 2 highest paid players replaced them. Unlike some people on here, I don't pretend to know how much players are paid.

As you have already pointed out, minumum wage for top 25 is 80k. Players outside th 25 would be on less. So what your saying is because two players have left from the 25, two players outside the 25 get moved up into the 25 with an automatic pay increase? I don't think so.
Exactly who makes up our top 25 is a mystery. On the dragons website, we have 28 players listed. That doesn't include the two who have left. My theory is that the Dragons are actually using the 6.1 million given to them by the nrl for the top 25, and perhaps paying players outside of the top 25 as well. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Walpole

Juniors
I think all this thread does is prove that 99% of us haven't got a clue how the salary cap or the top 25 actually works.

And really, all this forum is is like having an argument at the pub about how the team is going, what should be happening or who is crap and who isn't, without the threat of a smack in the mouth.

I think I'll just support whoever pulls on the Red V and hope that in the second half of the year our attack gets itself in order. Because 6-6 with 12 to go means we still have a very realistic shot at the semis.

And if you want to get your panties in a twist about everything else, like who we've signed, who we haven't and whether Peter Doust and Mitch Rein should be hung at high noon, then do something about it. Really. Actually, do something about it.

Because it's just a f***** game in the end and we all want to see the Dragons win (well, most of us anyway).

kit66

Bench
2017 Squad below with players to chase for 2018. Wishful thinking applies.

1. Josh Dugan - for 2018 Tom Trboyevic move Duges to Lafai's centre position.
2. Josh Mansour
3. Euan Aitken
4. Kurt Mann / Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale - for 2018 possibly replace with Jordan Rapana or young Dragon.

6. Gareth Widdop - for 2018 or earlier hopefully replace with a young Dragon coming through or someone from outside.
7. Benji Marshall - 1 year deal for 2017 and chase hard for Adam Reynolds for 2018 with a big money offer.

8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Mitch Rein - if a smart, talented hooker with a great kicking game and a reasonable price tag is on the market then bye bye Mitch.
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack De Belin

14. Mose Masoe
15. Tariq Sims
17. Will Matthews
19. Mike Cooper / Jacob Host

Of course throw in any young Dragons good enough to force their way in to firsts and or re-signing the best of them as already mentioned by others. Also re-sign the best of the above for 2018 where necessary.

We also need a ball playing 2nd rower, preferably one who also has a kicking game. Not many on the market unfortunately.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
This is the part I am questioning . Completely false I think..

You can think what you want. You clearly don't understand how it works.

I don't believe automatically the next two highest paid outside the 25 step up. The club can offer contracts prior to June 30 to anyone including external to the club if they have a spot in the roster free and space under the cap.

As I said, the top 25 is your top 25 highest paid players. If you've got players on 80k, and then sign someone on $100k, one of your 80k players drops to the 2nd tier, so you have to have 20k available in your cap (or whatever the remaining portion of the contract is). The remaining portion of the 80k then counts in the 2nd tier cap.

Based on your logic, we could cut someone in February, not sign his replacement until June 30, and get a salary cap advantage for over 4 months as we only have to pay 24 players compared to the 25 players everyone else is paying. It doesn't work like that. You have to have 25 players registered at all times, all of which fit the salary cap rules.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge here can help.....

But what if that person with "more knowledge" agrees with me? Are you going to once again decide you need someone with "more knowledge"?

Based on my understanding we could have potentially 2 places on the roster free still to recruit into prior to June 30 hence all the talk about trying to get Sims on board immediately.

Your understanding is wrong. Unless you can point out somewhere where the top 23 salary cap exists?

If your understanding was right, how could the Titans have signed Olive, Peats and Hurrell this year?

As you have already pointed out, minumum wage for top 25 is 80k. Players outside th 25 would be on less. So what your saying is because two players have left from the 25, two players outside the 25 get moved up into the 25 with an automatic pay increase? I don't think so.

So you think that because other players are brought in, they suddenly don't have to meet the requirements of the salary cap?

Let's say we release someone on 200k on the 1st May and another team takes up the rest of their contract. We've paid 100k (financial year is 1 Nov to 31 Oct so we've paid 6 months) already, so that stays in our cap, but now we've got 100k available to spend for remaining 6 months. At this point, someone else needs to join our top 25. We've got nobody else on 80k, so we have to bump up our next biggest contract, and we'll pay them 40k for the remainder of the year (as we are only paying them 6 months of the 80k).

If in 2 weeks time we sign a replacement, the new player is in the top 25, and the bumped up contract is back down to the 2nd tier.