What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Out for kicks at Goal

*Paul*

Juniors
When clock stopping was tried in 1983, there was a game of 100 minutes. Presumably a factor as to why it wasn't pursued.

Devilous

Juniors
I agree on policing the other timewasting activities. Drop outs are easy - penalise the kicking team as soon as they do something that isn't getting straight to the point of getting the ball back in play asap - even formalise it with a time limit if you want. A handful of penalties 10m out in front of the posts to the other team will have that fixed in the first round or two.

Another thing I'd be going after is laying around in tackles, especially when the tacklers look at the ref or defensive line to see if its set (or the ref looks like he's getting close to blowing a penalty). I'd take the view that as soon as a tackler looks around, they are not clearing the ruck quickly enough and penalise them.

I'm pretty sure that this is already the case. You have 40 seconds from when the ball goes out to kick it in or you are penalised. (Canberra v Penrith Rd. 8 2009)

user_nat

Coach
Clock needs to be stopped when the try is scored and put a limit on how long the kicker can take, to keep the game under 10,000 minutes long and to avoid players from taking ages so that their team can get a breather.

I don't like the idea of stopping the clock. Lets say the score is 20-10. The team trailing scores with 1 second left, and kicks the goal to make it 20-16, and they will still have one last play from the kick off to win the game. If they decide to stop the clock they should restart it again once the ball is kicked. Bring back time wasting penalties as well for teams who take forever to walk back and kick off (anything over 1 minute is unacceptable).

LRC

If you do stop the clocks and have longer games it would increase the oppurtunity for advertising minutes and more $$$. ( a reason AFL gtes more is because it can have more adds)

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
When clock stopping was tried in 1983, there was a game of 100 minutes. Presumably a factor as to why it wasn't pursued.
There is a solution to that.

Someone researches a bunch of games, comes up with the average time that is wasted on gaol kicks, and we minus that time off the official time that the game goes for.

So if the average time wasted on goal kicks is 10 minutes, we have two 35 minute halves.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Yeah, in a day on 4 reserves who can't come back on the field. Not to mention players are much fitter now, and the time out is really a mini break.

As well it can help for TV with those opportunities perfect for ad breaks.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
My two cents is they should borrow a little from the NFL: basically, put a time limit, say 90 seconds, per kick. But as the kick is being taken, stop the clock. And only restart the clock when the ball is back in play.

It won't be popular with many people because they may feel the game would drag on too long, but it kind of irritates me when you've got 25 minutes in a game gone, the score is 12-all and you've only really seen 17 minutes of play or so because they took 2 minutes to kick each goal...It ends up costing a lot of real play time.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway.

Great Idea. Promote that man!

It also allows another ad or two which is vital to the advertising dollars. I don't mind if there is a bit of stoppage after a try. Its when it happens during a kick in play or a scrum that it p!sses me off.