What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to fund expansion properly

Diesel

Referee
Richo does his thing and presents a report, it gets shot down and 18 months later no one is any the wiser as to the 2nd tier comp. what a f**king mess

Reactions: siv

T-Boon

Coach
A second tier club that is independent of the Raiders would do wonders for the sport down here (ACT/Southern NSW), so you can chuck Canberra/Queanbeyan/Wagga/Albury to that list of targets.

The second tier should be completely independent from the NRL. They should also turf reserve grade which is a total waste of talent and resources.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not convinced it will work for expansion clubs if it is bolt on to nsw and qland cups. Reality is there is nowhere near the strength of player depth or money available in wa, nt, vic etc to put out competitive sides. It would decimate the quality of the local competition and the team would get good hidings from nrl linked reserve grade teams. I struggle to see the value of such a set up.

To be really radical you could create three divisions with promotion and relegation but travel costs would be ridiculous. Then somewhere likeminded WA could eventually build and work their way up the divisions. We struggled to filed a competitive Jim beam cup side with a number of blow ins from England, east coast and nz.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not convinced it will work for expansion clubs if it is bolt on to nsw and qland cups. Reality is there is nowhere near the strength of player depth or money available in wa, nt, vic etc to put out competitive sides. It would decimate the quality of the local competition and the team would get good hidings from nrl linked reserve grade teams. I struggle to see the value of such a set up.

To be really radical you could create three divisions with promotion and relegation but travel costs would be ridiculous. Then somewhere likeminded WA could eventually build and work their way up the divisions. We struggled to filed a competitive Jim beam cup side with a number of blow ins from England, east coast and nz.

Which is why a total restructure of the second tier is necessary, and also what Richo suggested if I remember correctly, probably also why he got the sack because the NRL and ARLC would want a cheap quick fix that doesn't rattle the boat and a complete restructure of the second tier, that probably includes taking control of the competition/s away from the QRL and NSWRL and taking junior development out of the hands of the NRL clubs is none of those things.

Personally if I was in charge I'd set up some sort of player loan system instead of the clubs linking with second tier clubs, similar to what they have in England, so every player not in an NRL teams top 17-24 is 'loaned' to a second tier club, this way one Cowboys player could be playing for the Blackhawks and another for the WC Pirates in the second tier, in theory anyway.
Of course that system actually working would be reliant on the second tier being completely independent from the top tier, which would be a big change for this sport in this country.

Latest posts