What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to get rid of the 8???

Tommy Smith

Referee
When you consider that the likes of the Sharks (crap), Manly (terrible), Raiders (talentless), Roosters (crap), Warriors (inept) are still in contention for the 8 you have to wonder if it's time to get rid of it.

Nne of those sides deserve to be close to making the finals.

No doubt i'll get the stock standard response "it keeps alot of fans interested". But seriously, is it worth sacrificing quality for quantity?

wittyfan

Referee
It's all about having extra games to generate money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Apart from the Broncos, Eels and the Dragons, no-one looks like doing anything in this competition.

raider_ktj

Juniors
As much as I like the Eels, their last 2 performances were pretty bad. IMO the Dragons are the only team who deserve to win the premiership

salivor

First Grade
raider_ktj said:
As much as I like the Eels, their last 2 performances were pretty bad. IMO the Dragons are the only team who deserve to win the premiership

The Broncos have only lost 4 games all year and they don't deserve a mention :lol:

raider_ktj

Juniors
Yeh i know they deserve a mention, and if they win it in the long run they deserve it, but I cant help thinking that they're going to start slipping, I dont know why, i just have a feeling. But hey, ill be glad to take it back if they prove me wrong

Panthers_God

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
When you consider that the likes of the Sharks (crap), Manly (terrible), Raiders (talentless), Roosters (crap), Warriors (inept) are still in contention for the 8 you have to wonder if it's time to get rid of it.

Only one of those teams are going to make the finals and they will be elimated first round by the Broncos anyway

salivor

First Grade
But they haven't slipped yet despite the amount of people lining up to say they will. They've only lost 4 games this year and the only team they've failed to beat this year is the Warriors and we all know they won't be featuring come finals time.

You said that the Dragons are the ONLY team that deserves to win it, I don't know how you can qualify that remark based on what the Broncos have put forward this year.

aussies1st

Staff member
If you really want to keep the quality up why not copy the EPL for soccer where they have no finals. Team that is no 1 come end of season is no 1

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree Man of Steel.

Imagine seeing the Broncos, Dragons, Tigers, Eels and/or the Cowboys/Storm/Dogs in an extended 5 team finals series.

Even as a Roosters fan who couldn't normally give a toss what happens with my team not participating, i would be interested.

salivor

First Grade
If the NRL actually signed a decent TV rights deal they could recover any revenue that would be lost by one or two less finals matches in a top 5 format.

16 teams, top 5 sounds good to me. Every year we see a team limp into 7th or 8th (My Broncos included) that don't have a hope in hell of going any further than week 1 of the finals.

brokendigit

Juniors
Tommy, valid point, but I can't agree.

I can't remember a better, more even competition than this one, & I grew up with, & watched a lot of, top 5 semi-final footy.

The fact is, the teams who finish 6, 7 & 8 have little chance of taking the Premiership (yes, I can remember exceptions too...), but that experience of semi-final football can & should be the catalyst for a move into a 'serious contender' role over the next few seasons (ie: Cowboys last year, & Tigers this year???).

& anyway Tommy, don't you love the anticipation of a possible upset?

Let me resort to a cliche: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

littleduck

Juniors
If the top 8 format is to be changed it will be to a top 10 in the new 16 team competition. We all know the regular 26 round h&A season is effectively the pre-season and the real season only starts Finals time. The more the merrier I say.

However, I would only ever support a top 10 in a 16 team comp if weeks 2 and 3 of the Finals aren't automatically scheduled in Sydney.

littleduck

Juniors
If the top 8 format is to be changed it will be to a top 10 in the new 16 team competition. We all know the regular 26 round h&A season is effectively the pre-season and the real season only starts Finals time. The more the merrier I say.

However, I would only ever support a top 10 in a 16 team comp if weeks 2 and 3 of the Finals aren't automatically scheduled in Sydney.

Latest posts