What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to honour greats.

The Colonel

Immortal
Time to honour greats
By Ray Chesterton
October 3, 2003

FORMER Test coach Harry Bath was the first man I ever heard say: "Those who drink the water should always remember those who dug the well."

That was more than 25 years ago. Lately, and with genuine warmth, rugby league has been remembering those who dug the well that has flowed so sweetly for nearly 100 years.

So far in these final weeks of season 2003, former Test prop Arthur Beetson has been named as the seventh Immortal.

It is a relieving appointment for another immortal Johnny Raper, who was previously the only forward selected and was concerned about his defensive load. He would have coped.

This week a 28-man squad voted the greatest Kangaroos and drawn from all eras was announced, between them they have played 652 Tests.

Only two current and very worthy players are included, Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer.

The rest come from the men who started digging the well all the way back to the first Kangaroo tour in 1908.

Yesterday six more players were inducted into rugby league's Hall of Fame, headed by HH "Dally" Messenger.

Dally's decision to switch codes from rugby union in 1907 was the single catalyst that guaranteed rugby league an impetus it has never really lost.

Slowed perhaps at times. Was sometimes threatened. But it was never lost.

Other new faces in the Hall of Fame are Beetson, centre Mal Meninga, and always tough and always emotional half Keith Holman.

Former NSW minister for sport and triple Australian representative Mike Cleary, was adamant that Holman was a certainty at the Randwick racecourse function to be both a deserving nomination and to find the moment overwhelming and cry.

He duly delivered. Where is the TAB when you need it.

The pre-WWII inductees announced by ARL chairman Colin Love were Dally Messenger, lock Wally Prigg and the astonishing Dave Brown, whose point-scoring feats still amaze.

Such honours are justified testaments to the men who bravely forged a new path for a new game in the face of immense social, political and sporting pressure.

And they came to the new game mindful they might also be consigning their careers and social standing in a divided community to oblivion if it failed.

Men who had to endure the odium of former rugby union teammates crossing the street in 1908 rather than talk to anyone who had switched codes.

Such courage deserves the shrines of remembrance we are now unveiling.

For too long rugby league, with occasional exceptions, showed scant regard for its cherished past. It looked only to the future, not realising the character of past deeds was equally important.

After the turbulence and ugly, divisive upheaval of the mid-1990s, rugby league is finally remembering the men who established the foundations.

Remembering, at last, the men who dug the well.

I don't really agree to much with what the Telegraph like to call news at times but this has to be the best thing I have seen come from Chesterton in a while. Not enough is done to honour the greats of the past like the fans themselves do. I know we have the Immortals and the "Hall of Fame" but its about time something official was done by the NRL and the ARL in getting a real Hall of Fame built. Its left to the clubs,magazines and newspapers to highlight the feats of some of the greatest players to play the game.

Being an avid history buff, in particular sporrting history something needs to be done and done soon.

hrundi99

First Grade
I agree wholeheartedly.

http://www.hhof.com/

I used to live in Toronto and loved going to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The last time I went I videotaped the whole place so that the ARL/NRL would be able to see the kind of things that are possible.

The types of things that should be included:

Displays for the following:

- history of each of the foundation clubs
- State of Origin
- Kangaroo Tours
- 1 each for the immortals (the HHOF has 3 or 4 for Gretzky alone)
- League in the bush
- League in other states
- International league (emphasis on NZ and PNG; the HHOF has a hall with jerseys from clubs and countries from all over the world)
- Evolution of playing gear and footballs
- League in 2003 (or 2004 or whatever the current year is)
- Expansion ARL/NRL teams
- Indigenous contribution
- English Super League

Interactive stalls such as:

- Pass the ball (into a hole to score...)
- Computerised place kicking (you kick a real ball and then you see how it went on a computer screen...like those golf games)
- The new Rugby League game on XBox, PS2 or PC
- Some kind of tackling demo (?)
- Call a famous play
- Watch highlights of great grand finals/origin/test matches

The HHOF also has a trophy hall, which contains each of the individual trophies that players/teams/coaches can win. The Stanley Cup they have is a replica when the team has just won it and is using it for promotion. Otherwise all of the other awards are kept there.

This hall also contains a picture of each member of the hall of fame and a brief description of their contribution.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the HHOF splits fame member categories into players, coaches, administrators, builders, referees, etc.

There is also a large merchandise shop on the site.

As you can see, there's heaps of potential.

Latest posts