What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to prepare properly

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes, I think that most of us old buggers feel the same. I place my faith in Mary being given his marching orders at the end of 2020 and a Flanagan / Sheppard first grade coaching team being installed. Of course this would depend on our new CEO convincing the NRL to lift the ban on Flanagan a year early.

I believe tha, once this occurs, I am sure players will have a different attitude.
Yep agree until there is a change of Genius coach , and also G .Young who also is a big problem , they need to be shafted now .....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The one issue i see with that, is that you have almost $2 million on a hooker and a lock, that arent really a hooker and a lock.
Thats one thing we need to fix. Players playing out of position.
If we need a lock, put a lock in that position, not makeshift a hooker to play lock.
If Clune is a better half the Hunt, then release Hunt. His paycheck is at a value for a Half. We dont need another million dollar hooker.
Personally, id keep Hunt over Norman.
Get rid of Norman, have a Clune and Hunt halves pairing.
Keep Cam at 9.
We have some good youngsters almost ready for 1st grade.
And we have a stack of players coming off contract.
Time to assess each and every position and all options we have for each position.
Take it from there where we need strengthening and buy externally.
At this point we don't even really need to release Norman as he and Clune are under the cap as is. Play Clune at 7 and Hunt at 6 and let Norman fight his way back from reserves. His biggest issue is his desire, maybe a good kick up the rear at this late stage in his career is what he needs. We will see if he's willing to fight his way back or kick stones and ask for a release putting the ball more in our court.

LINESPEED

Juniors
When the cloning tech comes in it's
1 Langlands
2 Lumsdon
3 Gasneir R
4 Gasneir M
5 King
6 Clay
7 Smith
13 Raper
12 Provan
11 Rasmussen
10 Wilson
9 Kearney
8 Ryan.

And that Facer fellow running it..

McGregor’s not fit to run water to these men.

They’d’ve run him out of Jubilee with a clip around the ears & tail between his legs.

I remember how we used to pick these larger-than-life heroes in our teams on a scrap of paper & secretly pass them around the classroom at Penshurst Public as 11yr olds

... then talk later in the playground over sour milk left in the sun too long, about going to the SCG on Sat with our Dads

Fu/Ck those were great days

& FMD how we’ve fallen under this regime

Como Connection

First Grade
McGregor’s not fit to run water to these men.

They’d’ve run him out of Jubilee with a clip around the ears & tail between his legs.

I remember how we used to pick these larger-than-life heroes in our teams on a scrap of paper & secretly pass them around the classroom at Penshurst Public as 11yr olds

... then talk later in the playground over sour milk left in the sun too long, about going to the SCG on Sat with our Dads

Fu/Ck those were great days

& FMD how we’ve fallen under this regime
I used to go to Jubilee for the Tuesday and Thursday training nights under the dim lights and was too young to appreciate the star players that surrounded me.
CC

Crush

Coach
With Aitken, Lafai, Frizell, JDB, Graham and possibly someone like Ravalawa leaving at the end of this season, we have plenty of cash to spend. I don’t see us doing much damage in the 2021 season, however after that we can let go of overpaid players like Corey Norman on top of this, meaning that 2022, if recruitment is done correctly, could be a good year. This would be my team for 2022 (assuming Shane Flanagan takes over as coach):
  1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Jason Saab
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Josh Addo-Carr
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Tom Flegler
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughn
  11. Jackson Ford
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Cameron Murray
  14. Tristan Sailor
  15. Eddie Blacker
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. Josh Curran
Where the hell did Ado Carr, Flannigan, Cam Murray etc come from!?
Is this an NRL allstars team you have created? If it is its a very weak bench.

BLM01

First Grade
I actually think it is a good balanced side in respect to the cap. Only 1-2 players there would demand close to 1 mill..with about half on that 500-700K range. (CMV) of course
With Flannigan as coach..he could lure his son back. Murray is the only one Souths would likely never let go. So pay him bit overs.
But you know with Mary as coach we could attract even better than that lot and fit em under the cap so not sure why talking Shane Flannigan to coach. ;)

Leysin

Juniors
I used to go to Jubilee for the Tuesday and Thursday training nights under the dim lights and was too young to appreciate the star players that surrounded me.
CC
I don’t normally comment but a frequent reader of the dragons forum and your comments about going to the Tuesday and Thursday training nights at Jubilee brought back memories as I was a local Carlton boy and often stood behind the goal posts catching and retrieving balls for Changa when he was practicing his goal kicking,also remember poppa clays AMPOL fuel truck parked in Park st when at training and George who was the caretaker employed by Kogarah council who let the local lads in for free on game day....great memories indeed.

hazzbeen

Bench
I don’t normally comment but a frequent reader of the dragons forum and your comments about going to the Tuesday and Thursday training nights at Jubilee brought back memories as I was a local Carlton boy and often stood behind the goal posts catching and retrieving balls for Changa when he was practicing his goal kicking,also remember poppa clays AMPOL fuel truck parked in Park st when at training and George who was the caretaker employed by Kogarah council who let the local lads in for free on game day....great memories indeed.
Yes great times ..... Gee times have changed and not for the better .....

Parko1310

Juniors
Addo Carr’s a winger mate so I don’t know what you want to be paying him but he’s not gonna be on a heap of cash. Flanagan is only a young half and assuming his father coaches, he could be lured. Don’t forget the emergence of Sam walker at the roosters. So Cam Murray, whilst it is unlikely Souths would ever let him go, would be the only one there demanding anywhere near 1 mil. Personally I’d pay him 800-850, 4 year deal with option to extent for a fifth and get-out clause that allows him to pursue a rugby World Cup campaign with the wallabies. So there’s your explanation.

redv13

Bench
People used to say Nene had baggage but from what I know JAC would be a no no for me. Coming back to Sydney will be like a time bomb just ticking away and let some other club deal with it

Parko1310

Juniors
People used to say Nene had baggage but from what I know JAC would be a no no for me. Coming back to Sydney will be like a time bomb just ticking away and let some other club deal with it
That’s definitely fair enough and I’d say you’re quite likely to be right there. Just a bit of speed in the outside backs wouldn’t go astray and I think Hunt’s kicking game could utilise that speed creatively.

denis preston

First Grade
I went once or twice and how bad were the lights !! Mind you training was over by 8.30 then off to the pub up the road !

possm

Coach
Possum it’s easy to punch out team list after team list which is wishful thinking. Guys like Hunt and Norman for example are on contract and big coin. To replace them we need someone to firstly agree to take them and secondly agree on the $$$. It’s not as simple as replace x with y. Bloody hell Millward you stuffed up again.....
The Dogs did not pay out B Morris's contract. If a player finds a club they weould prefer to play with and that club agrees to terms iwth the player, the player only needs to ask for a release. Just drop a player to reserve grade and their manager will soon start looking for another club.

redv13

Bench
The Dogs did not pay out B Morris's contract. If a player finds a club they weould prefer to play with and that club agrees to terms iwth the player, the player only needs to ask for a release. Just drop a player to reserve grade and their manager will soon start looking for another club.
There’s a difference between salary cap squeeze and underperforming duds on huge $$$. Can’t see any club dropping nearly 2 mil to reserve grade.
Say for example this happened with our 6 or 7 which club would honestly pay them anywhere near what we’re paying?? No one would so they would need to take a huge pay cut to leave. Bmoz was never dropped to reserve grade, he was collateral damage of Mr Hasler and his outstanding salary cap work

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There’s a difference between salary cap squeeze and underperforming duds on huge $$$. Can’t see any club dropping nearly 2 mil to reserve grade.
Say for example this happened with our 6 or 7 which club would honestly pay them anywhere near what we’re paying?? No one would so they would need to take a huge pay cut to leave. Bmoz was never dropped to reserve grade, he was collateral damage of Mr Hasler and his outstanding salary cap work

I don't have a problem "dropping" someone to reserve grade, but only to 'sharpen' them up aka as Bennett did with Hunt at the Broncos. However, dropping them permanently is not practical, and would highlight how poor a coach is not the player. During this time, I don't think that we have a bad squad, or even have bad players, this is highlighted in the 2 games played so far this year were we lead at half time in both games 12 - 8 v West Tiger in round 1 and 16 - 12 against Penrith in round 2. If they were that bad we would have been lapped by half time in both games.

Lets be honest, judging any player in our roster at this time is not fair, we can only get a better picture of how each player performe/improves once Mc85 is removed and a real coach installed.

Latest posts