What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to restrict VR to captains call only?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
absolutely stupid idea, for those who watch cricket would know that everyone is calling to get rid of it.
the solution is to get better people in the bunker
Who's calling to get rid of it from cricket?

For the most part it works - it usually only fails when people don't agree with hawkeye tracking, or if captains are using it poorly.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Captains challenge will not fix the frustration many of us currently have on the bunker. And I don't even blame the bunker officials - they're under pressure to look at everything to the nearest millimetre.
I believe it will. Provided it's limited to 2 unsuccessful challenges, you'd wanna be reasonably certain you're a good chance of a call being overturned before bothering. That alone will end up with less referrals to the Bunker.

bileduct

Coach
Get rid of the video ref or just reduce it to a captain's call and there will be more outrage than ever when provable no tries are awarded way more often than they currently are under the existing system.

greenBV4

Bench
Definite yes, seem to be spending more and more time watching slo-mo replays than the actual game, how many tries are called out-right these days?

You could also look into implementing something like pay bonuses to the ref every time they make a correct call without going to the bunker, might give them some confidence and stop them going up to the bunker for ever try? I dont know..

With essentially 4 refs on the field we shouldn't be going to VR anywhere near as much as we are

Springs09

Juniors
Need the bunker for put downs at least. It’s impossible to judge on those diving winger tries in the corner with the naked eye.

ram raid

Bench
No I don't think so. The captain's are not always in a position to see what went on. You'd have to decide how much the captain's can look at the replay on the big screen and for how long. I think it would just move the drama rather than solve it.

The solution to all this bullshit is twofold: 1) The refs and bunker have to get better. 2) The fans have to get comfortable with the fallibility of the refs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who's calling to get rid of it from cricket?

For the most part it works - it usually only fails when people don't agree with hawkeye tracking, or if captains are using it poorly.

I’ve been amazed at the lack of outcry from the ashes ending. Shows that it can work and if commentators are sensible that it takes the pressures off the ref and puts it on the team to make the right call when to go to the VR. Let’s put entertainment first and dump the shthouse that is the KC bunker in its current overused format.

Saxon

Bench
1. Get rid of slow motion replays. The game happens in real time, judge it as such.
2. Allow no more than 4 different camera views and then repeat of one. That's it.
3. Allow the ref to say 'Try', 'No try' or 'No idea'.

Vee

First Grade
I think we can all agree that whilst the introduction of the bunker has reduced wrong calls by refs it has come at a very high price. Constant stoppages, the excitement of your team scoring a try diminished, more controversy when the bunker gets it wrong etc

It has been interesting to see the reaction to the ashes outcome. No one really blamed the umpire for making a bad call but put the blame on the wasted captains call. So is it time to claw back and bring in two captains call a half and only allow the ref to use VR to review foul pay?
Yes.

T-Boon

Coach
No I don't think so. The captain's are not always in a position to see what went on. You'd have to decide how much the captain's can look at the replay on the big screen and for how long. I think it would just move the drama rather than solve it.

The solution to all this bullshit is twofold: 1) The refs and bunker have to get better. 2) The fans have to get comfortable with the fallibility of the refs.

100 percent.
However, I think coaches/captains review could be good not just to solve the problem of the review system getting it right I also think it would add more drama and be cool just in and of itself. The captain would be taking advice from the players "I got my hand under it", or "it went forward" or "I saw him drop it" The players themselves will need to be closely looking at what is happening. Creates a whole new dynamic. I like it.

lazza

Juniors
Jeez and the players keep getting the plays wrong!

The solution is the players just have to get better.
Do u need to go to a VR if the players get the play wrong? Just saying if it was that simple, there wouldn’t be a debate about VR that’s all.

Diesel

Referee
Anyone know what the avg bunker review amount is per game this season? It feels like about 80% of tries/no tires are going up? At least with capt's call you can limit it to two or four a game, if needed. We cant get rid of the bunker sadly but we can limit it to less impacting on the enjoyment of the game. This is supposed to be entertainment after all.
95% of Warriors tries are referred to the Bunker

Burwood

Bench
Some things I’d like to see:

- Two in goal refs/touch judges at each end of the field.
- double movements are fine.
- if ball is knocked into an opposition player, attacking player is allowed to regather ball before it touches the ground (only when contesting a bomb or In motion of scoring a try, not in general play).

Do those things and I think you’ll see the bunker not needing to be used anywhere near as much.

Springs09

Juniors
Do u need to go to a VR if the players get the play wrong? Just saying if it was that simple, there wouldn’t be a debate about VR that’s all.

The point was if the solution is as easy as the referees just have to get better you’d be a ref already wouldn’t ya? The refs are as good as they can be, there’s no magical solution for them to suddenly be superhuman.

Latest posts