What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler pulls plug

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-knights-is-dead/story-e6frfgbo-1226009364159

BILLIONAIRE mining magnate Nathan Tinkler has pulled out of a $100 million deal this morning to purchase the Newcastle Knights.
Tinkler was to have met Knights officials at 2pm today in a bid to resolve issues between the two organisations so that a meeting of Knights members could be called to vote on his buy-out proposal.
But sources have told The Daily Telegraph the meeting won’t go ahead because the deal is now off.

The Knights have called a media conference for 2.30pm today where it’s expected they will make Tinkler’s decision official.

Unbelievable decision....

Apparently the Knights only need 100 members to agree to call a meeting...I'm tipping this will now happen...

Liddell

Juniors
Surely he didnt think it was going to be that easy? There was always going to be headaches from management.

Look at the crap Crowe and PHaC went through and still are going through from the old guard.

But i suppose billionares aren't used to waiting around.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tinkler is a business man, this is just a part of the manouvering I'm sure. You don't want to put that much money into something then just walk away. It will put fan pressure on the board to sort it out quicker.

Either that or the Knights board have got coal in their head!

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm going against the grain here and saying good riddance. From all reports management wanted to call a meeting today to discuss some finer points such as junior support, and a buy back price for the club. Sounds like they wanted to ensure the community wasn't going to get screwed over.

Tinkler seems like a petulant child with a lot of money who either immediately gets his own way, or nothing.

johns_reds

First Grade
Obviously this guy isn't that keen on the knights or he is giving them a rubbish deal, if he really wanted to own them and had put in a good offer why would he try to put so much pressure on the sale to happen so quickly, let them think it through, it's a massive decision for the club, this deal stinks a little bit if you ask me.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not a Knights fan, so personally I dont care...

However, if he does walk away, then the Knights will always be a two bit operation struggling to make the Top 8 every year and watching their promising juniors go elsewhere...

Oh well, at least Tew & Burraston will keep their jobs...

axl rose

Bench
The real question is, why are mining magnates always so fat?

Nah, he isn't fat, just cuddly like a lovable Sargent Shultz. Really great guy who cares about the community, just read the telegraph they will tell you, great big guy has great big heart.

blukablu

Juniors
Obviously this guy isn't that keen on the knights or he is giving them a rubbish deal, if he really wanted to own them and had put in a good offer why would he try to put so much pressure on the sale to happen so quickly, let them think it through, it's a massive decision for the club, this deal stinks a little bit if you ask me.

$10 million a year for 10 years operating as a non-profit organisation sounds like a pretty good deal. Would turn them into a powerhouse will all profits going back into local RL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good and bad news IMO. Good riddance to the alleged underhanded negotiations he's "supposedly had" with Snowden and/or Idris; but bad news for the CC Bears. A financially sound Newcastle Knights would've meant far less opposition from their corner for the Bears.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Good and bad news IMO. Good riddance to the alleged underhanded negotiations he's "supposedly had" with Snowden and/or Idris; but bad news for the CC Bears. A financially sound Newcastle Knights would've meant far less opposition from their corner for the Bears.

Timmah
the biggest danger to the CC Bears is those same people (headed by Gallop) who, after the Titans were given the nod, then offered $10 million to anyone but the Bears to relocate and take over Gosford Stadium.

Latest posts