What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tinkler pulls plug

skeepe

Immortal
As much as it pains me to say it, this is a good thing for the Knights.

Let's look at the last 7 days in the world of Nathan Tinkler.

He has reportedly made offers to Snowden and Idris that would tie up almost a quarter of the club's salary cap - and this with absolutely no knowledge of the club's current cap situation.

He has shown amazing impatience and petulance, and from the reports I've read seems to think he's above little things like due diligence. Who's to say that he wouldn't have considered himself above other little things like the salary cap?

No, at the end of the day I think the Knights are better off without Tinkler.

That said, I have absolutely no pity for the delusional Knights fans who arrogantly asserted that Tinkler would turn them into a premiership force, and the club that everyone wanted to play for. When I think of them, I can't help but laugh.

Knownothing

Juniors
Tinkler is a business man, this is just a part of the manouvering I'm sure. You don't want to put that much money into something then just walk away. It will put fan pressure on the board to sort it out quicker.

Either that or the Knights board have got coal in their head!

I doubt that this guy knows how to manoeuvre - either physically or in business negotiations. He has enjoyed a very lucky run as an entrepreneur, and good luck to him.

However, there is nothing in his background that suggests that he has what it takes to lead a professional sporting franchise as large and complex as the Newcastle Knights.

If I were a member I would be very wary about giving this guy a blank cheque over my club's future, that is for sure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
very lucky? He's worth a billion $'s isn't he? Geez that is some luck if he has no business sense!

at the end of the day he was offering to put $100mill into an NRL club, not many times an offer like that comes along. Wonder if he wants to expand his operations West? :)

Billythekid

First Grade
Obviously this guy isn't that keen on the knights or he is giving them a rubbish deal, if he really wanted to own them and had put in a good offer why would he try to put so much pressure on the sale to happen so quickly, let them think it through, it's a massive decision for the club, this deal stinks a little bit if you ask me.

This.

BDGS

Bench
Let the baby take his bottle and go home.

Good riddance, so much for passion of all things Newcastle and the Newcastle Knights. What a load of Sh*t.

Dragon

Coach
What a tosser. This says to me he was never really serious in the first place. He has created turmoil for the Knights as well as other clubs (sharks) then just walks away? F*ck him

Slackboy72

Coach
I'm going against the grain here and saying good riddance. From all reports management wanted to call a meeting today to discuss some finer points such as junior support, and a buy back price for the club. Sounds like they wanted to ensure the community wasn't going to get screwed over.

Tinkler seems like a petulant child with a lot of money who either immediately gets his own way, or nothing.

I hate to agree with you adam but you're totally right.
If Tinkler doesn't want his offer to stand up to any sort scrutiny (such as how he counts that $10m a year) then he can f#@& off.
Newcastle and league don't need him.

to_ddeath

Coach
Sounds like a timewasting & petty twat.
Stick to the Jets tinkler, obviously enjoys watching long-term failure as opposed to possible success...

T.

Dragon Dave

Bench
However, there is nothing in his background that suggests that he has what it takes to lead a professional sporting franchise as large and complex as the Newcastle Knights.

Exactly! It would be like a hollywood actor running an NRL club because he has money...wait a minute...:shock:

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...laim-100m-bid-has-changed-20110220-1b13l.html

After giving in-principle endorsement on January 19 to Tinkler's offer, Tew said three components of the deal had since been altered.
Tew said ''the first and overriding issue'' was that the offer, as it stood, ''represents a significant departure from the $100 million proposal guaranteed to be paid over 10 years that was announced by The Tinkler Group last month''.
He said: ''The present offer does not commit to a 10-year period. The offer of guarantee at present is for a period of two years, and does not commence until March 31, 2012.''
He said TSG wanted to calculate all revenue, including ticketing and membership, in its definition of ''sponsorship income''.
''On that basis, the total is already as high as $10 million, and therefore the contribution by the Tinkler Group would be zero,'' Tew said.

This was my concern after seeing the detail of his second deal. He was buying the Knights with the Knights own income.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I'm going against the grain here and saying good riddance. From all reports management wanted to call a meeting today to discuss some finer points such as junior support, and a buy back price for the club. Sounds like they wanted to ensure the community wasn't going to get screwed over.

Tinkler seems like a petulant child with a lot of money who either immediately gets his own way, or nothing.

thats how he looks doesnt it? one of the artyicles said his offer had changed in the fine print such as the stuff regarding juniors and when the arrangement actually started

Good and bad news IMO. Good riddance to the alleged underhanded negotiations he's "supposedly had" with Snowden and/or Idris; but bad news for the CC Bears.

if the rumours of offers tinklers putting towards players without managements knowledge are correct there would have been bigger probs salary cap wise than melbourne

I doubt that this guy knows how to manoeuvre - either physically or in business negotiations. He has enjoyed a very lucky run as an entrepreneur, and good luck to him.

i heard someone on the radio making a comment about tinkler saying something like "you don't make as much money as quickly as tinkler has without stepping on more than a few toes". I think if you just looked at the figures (100mill over 10 years) it was a good deal, but the devils in the details. if tinkler has it so skewed that junior development is ignored or he can just sell up to whoever he wants in 10 years time then it's a good thing the board was trying to negotiate. if tinkler wants to ebcome the chief recruiting officer, the coach and the captain then i don't think the 10mill a year is enough for all the damage it will cause

perverse

Referee
As much as it pains me to say it, this is a good thing for the Knights.

Let's look at the last 7 days in the world of Nathan Tinkler.

He has reportedly made offers to Snowden and Idris that would tie up almost a quarter of the club's salary cap - and this with absolutely no knowledge of the club's current cap situation.

He has shown amazing impatience and petulance, and from the reports I've read seems to think he's above little things like due diligence. Who's to say that he wouldn't have considered himself above other little things like the salary cap?

No, at the end of the day I think the Knights are better off without Tinkler.

That said, I have absolutely no pity for the delusional Knights fans who arrogantly asserted that Tinkler would turn them into a premiership force, and the club that everyone wanted to play for. When I think of them, I can't help but laugh.
... and very occasionally skeepe takes a peek from behind the mask. best post in the thread.

also... i dead set can't believe the idiocy of so many forum posters... there goes the Knights, lol keep dreaming. we've got another offer on the table to look at, and we don't even need to take that one if we don't want to. we're not going anywhere.

lastly - you are all wasting you breath, because we haven't heard the end of this. Tinkler stipulates very clearly and precisely that he won't deal with the current administration. watch this space. Tinkler is playing hard ball, and he's not going to walk away from this just yet methinks. resignations... or even a full blown coup may be just around the corner.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Honestly seems like the Knights dodged a bullet. He carried on like a fool in trying to rush the process & negotiate via the media, totally disrespectful to the club and its fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Knights need to come out and be very clear what the problems and blocks were or else their fans could just see the $100mill disappearing and get very disenchanted. Some good PR needed by the Knights me thinks.

applesauce

Bench
Hard to say if this is good or bad without seeing it first hand.

But if the media is anything to go by he wasn't looking to help the Knights with juniors, wanted gate taking and memberships included in the $10mill/year guarantee (even though the make over $10mill with that included now) and he wouldn't write in the contract that if he sells in the 10years the buyer is obligated to the same $10mill guarantee.

He seems a little too much like Clive Palmer. As good as this could of been (had he be the right guy) I think it is somewhat of a good thing with a mix of bad news.

Edit: Alos on the news of this takeover there was a 2000 membership increase at the Knights (after it looked like they would not reach last years figures). This could be a huge blow to the moral of the Knights fans as a whole.

Last edited:

Ulysseus

Bench
very lucky? He's worth a billion $'s isn't he? Geez that is some luck if he has no business sense!

at the end of the day he was offering to put $100mill into an NRL club, not many times an offer like that comes along. Wonder if he wants to expand his operations West? :)

Without sounding like an arsehole it was a bit of luck.
He owned a sh*tload of land that a coal company wanted, he took a considerable cash settlement and a sh*tload of shares for it.
He then hocked off the shares at around $20 a pop, a few months later they were worth about $3 a pop.
His extensive amount of shares led to him having a cash amount in the vicinity of about 600 million dollars.

In saying it is a bit of luck, by god I wish I had luck like that!
He also wasn't offering then 100 million dude, he was offering to make up any shortfalls to the value of 10 million per year, therefore I doubt it would stretch that far beyond 3 to 4 million in any given year.

Paullyboy

Coach
There's some interesting reading in this thread.

My opinion from the outside looking in is that Tinkler is trying his best to make the current Knights management look bad in the eyes of the public (and more importantly - the membership). He's doing a good job of it despite the fact I personally think the Knights management are doing the right thing by keeping him at bay.

It's going to come down to a popularity contest, and Tinkler is winning because he's managing the media significantly better. There are a lot of stupid people who have influential votes in the world of sport and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Tinkler's only interest in all this is to win those stupid people over. If he does that, he can continue with his ridiculous offers and will probably end up getting his way.