What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tired bench rule to be changed

gong_eagle

First Grade
Tired bench rule to be changed

By Stuart Honeysett
July 30, 2007
THE NRL will consider reducing the number of interchanges next season in an attempt to combat player burnout.
The move comes after an injury crisis has blighted this season with several of the game's biggest names including Darren Lockyer, Danny Buderus and Willie Mason unavailable to play last weekend.
The situation was so bad two weeks ago that 77 players unavailable.
The league has already tinkered with the draw for 2008 to try to alleviate the workload on players.
Any move to adjust the interchange will be the most significant rule change since golden point was introduced in 2003. Unlimited interchange was scrapped in 2001.
Such a rule change could also provide much-needed relief to the elite players who, with a World Cup scheduled for the end of 2008, are looking at playing 35 games next season.
NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday that he was keen to discuss the interchange system after the season to determine whether further relief could be provided.
The game operates under a 12-4 system (12 interchanges from four replacements) but a 10-4 model is being considered.
The league believes a reduction will force more of the game's big men to remain on the field for longer periods and therefore reduce their physical impact on the match as the game wears on.
"We've managed to make some key improvements to the season schedule but the facts remains that the game is brutal," Gallop said.
"It's an issue and we need to look carefully in the off season at the way the game is being played.
"That may include examining whether the interchange is contributing to the potential for injury by allowing too many opportunities for the big men to play unfatigued."
The proposal comes as Australia coach Ricky Stuart floated in his newspaper column yesterday an idea to cut the number of interchanges in half, to six.
Other coaches and players yesterday welcomed a move to reduce player fatigue, but they questioned the effectiveness of interchange reductions.
"That's the first time I've heard it addressing the injury rate," Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.
"It's more addressing the attrition rate - that's the toughness of the players.
"I know they're saying it will slow the game down so people won't run into each other at the same pace.
"But I don't know if it will address the injury rate."
New Zealand Warriors captain Steve Price advocated a reduction of the number of interchanges, and encouraged the NRL to go as far as an 8-4 system.
"Most clubs interchange your front rowers, hooker and maybe one back rower so all it means is that your front rowers have to be a bit fitter," Price said.
"We're at the stage now where we've gone from unlimited to 12 and everyone is up to scratch with that. I think eight (changes) would be ideal because it's an endurance, high-impact sport."
However, Price warned the solution might offer only a quick fix before players adjusted their fitness levels accordingly.
"When it first comes in it will work, and then it will just go to the way it's gone now and everyone gets conditioned to it and it will probably be as bad as ever," Price said.
Newcastle coach Brian Smith said he was concerned that tinkering with the number of interchanges would have an adverse effect. The Knights are battling a crippling injury toll and had eight regular first-grade players unavailable before Saturday night's 52-10 loss to the Warriors.
"There'd be more pressure on everybody to make players stay out there when they're already injured and that's what leads to most of the injuries," Smith said.
"I would say most players are breaking down because they are playing when they are fatigued - whether that's fatigued within the game or fatigued within the season - and fatigue leads to injury. It would also slow the game down and you'd have a decrease in standard."
Smith said the league would be better off increasing the number of replacements.
"We've all got a top 25 and when they're all fit we've got eight of them doing nothing," Smith said.
"Why not consider putting those guys on the bench?
"But if they're really serious about lowering their injury rate they'd talk about better scheduling, less games and not making players play when they're already busted."

Charlie124

First Grade
So to stop players from burning out, we change the rule so they stay on the field playing longer??

I understand the idea that tired forwards aren't going to hit as hard as fresh ones but what about the forwards themselves? will we reduce the amount of backs on the field so the forwards don't have as many players to chase?

LRC

Some teams have built their current squads (namely forward packs) on the basis of the current rule. These teams may have forgone more mobile nig men for impact players woith a higher rotation.
Any rule change as such should not come into play until at least 3 years.

RainMan

Juniors
LRC said:
Any rule change as such should not come into play until at least 3 years.

Why? 2008 pre season trials would be a good start. As I have said in a previous thread. I want to see more 'footballers' and less 'athletes'.

Kid Dynamite

Juniors
"It's an issue and we need to look carefully in the off season at the way the game is being played.
"That may include examining whether the interchange is contributing to the potential for injury by allowing too many opportunities for the big men to play unfatigued"

This thread should be deleted its a total waste of time. It infers something is actually going to be done. Now thats funny. Gallop is just giving his standard reply to most questions - "we'll look at it at the end of the season". This is code for we have no intention of doing anything. Its a crock of sh*t. Move on people.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think it would be an excellent move to at least halve the number of interchanges per game.

yobbo84

Coach
gong_eagle said:
The league believes a reduction will force more of the game's big men to remain on the field for longer periods and therefore reduce their physical impact on the match as the game wears on.

Try telling that to Roy Asotasi, Steve Price or Luke Bailey.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
And so will the dummy half run become king.

Also, someone stated that they want footballers and not athletes. Surely athletes would be more dominant as they are fitter.

Azkatro

First Grade
Not exactly - current athletes get rest breaks. With less interchange it would be mostly front row rotation - the backrowers would have to stay on for much longer. This is where a bloke with more football skill would play smarter and remain effective throughout, whereas an athlete without a genuine football brain would get tired and make defensive errors when he would currently be replaced before that happens.

salivor

First Grade
I'm not entirely convicenced on the idea as it's really going to mean even more game time for the elite players which defeats the purpose of introducing such a rule.

And my bias comes out here in that this rule definely doesn't favour the Broncos with our big forward pack. We already have trouble towards the end of games under the current 12 interchange system. Then again it may have a positive impact seeing us promote some of our more mobile and fitter forwards.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Personally i dont care if they do change it but if they do they cant do what Phil Gould suggests and cut it by half. If you cut it by half the standard of play will go down because no one will be fresh.

fourplay

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
Personally i dont care if they do change it but if they do they cant do what Phil Gould suggests and cut it by half. If you cut it by half the standard of play will go down because no one will be fresh.

I don't think so.. It will mostly effect the big forwards in the middle of the park. The defensive lines will be slower which will produce more attacking football.

It should decrease the gang tackling aswell.

salivor

First Grade
Why do we have to reduce interchange by a third or even by half in one go? If we're going to do it why not reduce it gradually over 2-3 years down to an ideal number to give players and clubs time to adjust.

dragonfire

Bench
RainMan said:
Why? 2008 pre season trials would be a good start. As I have said in a previous thread. I want to see more 'footballers' and less 'athletes'.

do you even understand what your saying? If guys are forced to play for longer periods, especially in the forwards you are going to see more athletic types required who can play for extended periods rather than these so called 'footballers' everyone seems to want to see.

As already said i dont see how making the players play longer periods stops on burnout, surely it will increase theamount of non rep players who start playing too many hours. In my opinion before any interchange rules come into being they need to change the scheduling so they arent playing so much footy

RainMan

Juniors
dragonfire said:
do you even understand what your saying?

Yes I do.

If guys are forced to play for longer periods, especially in the forwards you are going to see more athletic types required who can play for extended periods rather than these so called 'footballers' everyone seems to want to see.

So where the game was 10-20 years ago, do you think those players were more of an athlete than todays player?

'footballers' who start using their brains, not just run one up, get tackled. Repeat for next 3 tackles, kick down field. 'footballers' that start to think for themselves, targetting players that are tired, halfbacks running more to the line, looking for the tired forward etc etc.