What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans being shown no respect

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says his side has not been shown much respect ahead of Friday night's must-win NRL semi-final against Parramatta at the Sydney Football Stadium.
While being given a stirring send-off by fans as they flew out for Sydney on Thursday, Cartwright said he would be surprised if anyone put money on his side after being "written off" by punters and experts.
Despite finishing third on the NRL table and launching a stirring fightback in their 40-32 qualifying finals loss to the Broncos, the Titans are $2.90 outsiders against the eighth-ranked Parramatta ($1.40).
"We have been totally written off," Cartwright said.
"Last week we were given a chance (against the Broncos) because we were home but this Friday I would be surprised if anyone tips us.
"We are not going to have a lot of supporters down there.
"It's how we handle that. That will dictate the result of the game I'd imagine."
Asked if he felt there was a lack of respect for the Titans, Cartwright said: "Yeah, I think so.
"But it's before the game, it's easy to talk before the game.
"But I'd love to say after the game 'there's four teams left and we are still there'.
"After the game maybe we can do a bit of spruiking."
Cartwright said main injury concern Mat Rogers (concussion) was set to play after largely being rested from training this week following a nasty fall against the Broncos.
Rogers is set to move into the centres with Preston Campbell combining with Scott Prince in the halves and William Zillman - back from a biting ban - starting at fullback.
Cartwright said the huge sendoff from rabid Titans fans at Gold Coast Airport would only boost his side ahead of their do or die clash.
"We have got everything to lose. The whole season is on the line here," he said.

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...tans-shown-no-respect-says-coach/default.aspx

I have to agree. Everyone seems to be sure of an Eels v Bulldogs preliminary final by the threads going around here. I personally rate the Titans a good chance at knocking off the Eels.

Surely the team that ran 3rd deserves more respect than it is getting at the moment.

ostrich20

Juniors
Well when your side is not renowned for winning away from home, and are going up against the form side in the comp, what do you expect.

I would think coach's would love to be as under the radar as the Titans are.

Sleep

Juniors
I called the Titans bowing out in the second week of the finals ages ago or once they had to play away from Skilled.

They're not only playing away from Skilled this week but they're coming up the form team in the competition. Not exactly a recipe for success.

The Colonel

Immortal
Parramatta players and the coach are respecting them.

What more do they want?

A home final and better odds?

skeepe

Immortal
The Titans are getting the exact same respect they give other teams in the NRL: zero.

Raider_69

Post Whore
they are premiership pretenders, have been all year, i dont rate them one iota.
If they win this weekend it will be because Parra had a shocker, most likely they'll lose and go out in straight sets... which is not the least bit surprising. There is only so far Scott Prince can take you on his own

whistle1

Juniors
Couple of reasons I think a lot of people don't rate them is because:
a) they're still yet to blow a team off the park, ie. huge scoreline in their favor
b) play a full 80min of good, solid footy. The second half against Brissy last week showed what they are capable of when they throw the ball around (aside from giving away intercepts :lol: ), but 40min simply isn't enough to win finals footy.

Last edited:

SilentAssassin

Juniors
I called the Titans bowing out in the second week of the finals ages ago or once they had to play away from Skilled.

They're not only playing away from Skilled this week but they're coming up the form team in the competition. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Form team of the comp? I don't think so.

If the Dragons played that poorly against Melbourne they would of had 50 put on them.

mb63

Juniors

I would think a recipe for a loss

I can see them getting up this week, but I can't see them winning the comp. If they won last week against Brisbane, I could see them winning the big one, but not now they have to win 3 consecutive away games.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
P_Rodney_Dangerfield_1.jpg

Billythekid

First Grade
There last 2 games have been atrocious. Just when we get to the business end of the season they have completely dropped the ball.

Having said that without Rogers playing this week they have more of a chance as he has been f*cking them up big time.

Last edited:
Cartwright REALLY annoys the sh*t out of me now. I used to like him before this year. But now, he never stops whining.

Here's a tip, f*ckknuckle ... spend more time coaching your team rather than worrying about what other people think.

Eelectrica

Referee
Parramatta players and the coach are respecting them.

What more do they want?

A home final and better odds?

Don't remember reading that anywhere. I don't see anything wrong with what Cartwright said. He hasn't made one false or incorrect statement.

"We are not going to have a lot of supporters down there.
"It's how we handle that. That will dictate the result of the game I'd imagine."
Correct. Stating the obvious really. Apparently that's whinging though :crazy:

Asked if he felt there was a lack of respect for the Titans, Cartwright said: "Yeah, I think so.

One quick look at this forum confirms that to be right on the money as well. Not a whinge, but another statement of fact.
Of course Parra respects them though, but if you're only respected by 18 (DA+17 parra players) people out of millions, then i think the word LACK comes into play. Maybe I'm wrong on that though. Maybe I should look up dictionary.com and get a second opinion on the meaning of the word LACK.

It was the journos asking leading questions.

I'm cheering for Parra tomorrow night. Would love to see Hindy and Caylo with another chance at the Grand final.

Latest posts