What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans set deadline for Delaney decision

DeeGan

Bench
From www.nrl.com

Titans set deadline for Delaney decision

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 7:28 PM

The Gold Coast Titans are likely to know on Wednesday whether Parramatta goal-kicking centre Brett Delaney will join the NRL club on a three-year deal.

Delaney, 20, travelled from Sydney to the Gold Coast to meet Titans officials, who have set a Friday deadline for him to reach a decision.
But his manager Chris Orr told AAP Delaney would decide his future in the "next 24 to 48 hours".

"His father (Steve) is looking to retire up here so that's a factor which is swaying him," Orr pointed out.

Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle added: "He's going to talk with his family but he seemed genuine and that's half the battle.

"We've asked him for a decision by the end of the week so we'll know by Friday.

"We need to secure a centre. We've been talking to the kid for a week and we've tabled an offer we're not prepared to move away from.

"We think it's in everyone's best interests for him to make a swift decision. There's a couple of clubs chasing centres and we don't want to be involved in a market which is that hot."

Cronulla is also keen to secure Delaney's services as cover for the departure of quality centres Nigel Vagana, Beau Scott and Phil Bailey at the end of the season.

Searle rejected any suggestions the Titans were desperate for centres but said they could "put the cue in the rack" in that position with the recruitment of Delaney, who has scored three tries and kicked 27 goals from 12 NRL matches for the Eels this year.

North Queensland's Gavin Cooper, Western Force rugby union convert Josh Graham and New Zealand international Jake Webster have already been signed as three-quarters.

Delaney is set to become the Titans' 20th signing, with South Sydney back-rower Mark Minichiello and Queensland Origin prop Nate Myles still in the frame to move to the tourist strip.

Bulldogs forward Myles, the hottest player on the market, will line up against St George Illawarra on Friday night at Oki Jubilee Stadium before meeting Brisbane and Gold Coast officials the following day.

"We rate ourselves as an outside chance," said Searle about the chances of recruiting Myles, who could command up to $275,000 a season after his impressive display in the Origin series.

Searle is more confident of signing Minichiello, who will fly to the Gold Coast later this week for talks.

Source: AAP

I have been pushing for the signing of Brett Delaney for months at our official forum, if we can seal the deal here, we are in a great position when looking at our top 20 players - our recruiting has exceeded my expectations. Delaney is a super talent who can kick goals. Another youngster with NRL first grade experience is exciting both short and long term.

Mark Minichiello I know for a fact is keen to move north of the border. The general concensus being he is looing for a clean slate at a new club. Getting out of Sydney and perhaps escaping the looming shadow of brother Anthony is a factor at play here as well. I fully expect to see him signed in the coming fortnight if not sooner.

Dakink

Bench
I wouldnt mind seeing Mark Minichello up here. A good professional who I think has been held back by his loyalty to Souths (not that loyalty is a bad thing)

Though I see Cooper more as a back rower - with Webster and Graham - and possibly Delaney - the centres are looking set.

les amber

Juniors
i wouldnt pay minichello over $60k but.. He'd get heaps at Souths, as they try to full their cap... :sarcasm:

Latest posts