What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans sign Gavin Cooper

aussies1st

Staff member
Oh dam we were after him. You Titans are getting most of the good guys on the market.

Ice777

Bench
I know they're getting more room under the cap for start up costs which is totally fair enough but surely they'd have to running out of money? :sarcasm:

CowMan

Juniors
FEC and cowboys havent signed nobody WTF!! thye got have atleast 1.3 1.5 million Free lol

Iafeta

Referee
He looks a fantastic player. I like the looks of him.

Good pick up by the Titans, then again, have they made any wrong decisions? I said at the time Nathan Friend was a great buy, look how he's going with a bit of game time at the Storm now.

Balmain_Boy

Are the GC planning on using any locals? They've now signed 18 players. Surely 5 spotsof the 25 man squad should be filled by local juniors?

I supported their inclusion, but that was on the proviso they'd be good for the game. I don't really see how this is true if they simply fill their side with imports.

DeeGan

Bench
Gavin Cooper has long term potential and the ability to play centre and in the back row. I think he will be primarily in the backrow.

Clint Amos is a two time QLD Cup Player of the Year (2004 & 2005) and I think we have picked up a steal here. Nathan Friend will deservedly be our hooker though Amos is the type of player you can include in your 17 with the added bonus of being able to play in the backrow if required.

What exactly do you want the Gold Coast Titans do Balmain_Boy? A team full of locals who would struggle behind Souths? Before posting perhaps have a better look at what the Gold Coast Titans are doing for the game north of the border and understand that the Gold Coast Titans inclusion will reap rewards continually over the next decade just as North Queensland have done.

This article may be of interest to you:
GOLD COAST NRL SECURES AFFILIATE CLUBS ARRANGEMENT

The Gold Coast NRL today announced it has secured affiliate club agreements with Ipswich Jets, Burleigh Bears and Tweed Heads Seagulls.

The agreements provide a number of benefits for the Gold Coast NRL team and affiliate clubs alike. The ultimate aim is to provide sound and secure pathways into the NRL for juniors in the Northern Rivers, Gold Coast and South West Queensland growth corridors by allowing them to remain in their respective areas for as long as possible as well as ensuring that fringe Gold Coast NRL players are playing in a competitive environment while they are waiting for their step up into First Grade.

Gold Coast NRL Managing Director Michael Searle said, “The future of our long term competitiveness in the game is what is at stake here. If we can assist in the process of these three region’s development and recruitment programs and increase participation in the game overall by supporting them in key areas then we are all going to reap the rewards of more quantity and quality in the talent pool. We have identified the key areas with the clubs in that regard and believe we have a solid plan to move forward with.”

The agreement between the Affiliate Clubs and Gold Coast NRL will include:

* 3-5 players from the full time squad of 32 will play in each of the three clubs in the Queensland State League competition.
* GCNRL will distribute a sponsorship grant to each of the clubs through splitting trial match revenue with these clubs.
* A contribution towards the costs of club scouting, recruitment and development staff will be made by GCNRL
* A contribution towards training camps, coaching and ancillary staff expertise will be paid by GCNRL.
* GCNRL will provide support such as players and merchandise for fundraising ventures.
* GCNRL will assist with planning and co-ordination of elite players camps
* The agreement with the clubs is conditional upon the clubs fielding teams in the Queensland Cup and BRL Mixwell Cup competitions.

Searle said, “This is a very significant move for both the clubs and us - one of the most important steps we’ve taken in our short life. There is no doubt that the structure put in place will achieve a number of goals for us all and we are excited about the prospect and potential of these arrangements. ”

In relation to the profile and normal operations of each of the clubs under the new arrangement Searle said, “Each of the clubs will retain their identities but will have an official relationship with the Gold Coast NRL club and they will have complete autonomy over their own recruitment and development programs. This will be a joint initiative to assist and promote these clubs and their foundation objectives. These clubs such as Tweed Heads Seagulls have almost 100 years in the game and we are proud to be associated with them at any level and hope we can ensure their charter in the game is fulfilled long term.”

Burleigh Bears Head Coach Rick Stone said, ”I think the biggest benefit will be the retention of our top class juniors for longer before they get a chance to go to NRL level. There is already clear evidence of how beneficial a relationship is with NRL clubs when you look at Queensland Cup clubs like Norths, Toowoomba and the Young Guns.”

Tweed Heads Seagulls director Wayne Fitzpatrick said, ”The opportunity to be involved with the new franchise is an exciting time for our club. Three years ago we entered a team into the Queensland Cup and we believe this relationship will give many of our young players a direct pathway to achieving their individual goals of playing at a higher level.”

Ipswich Jets CEO Brendan Hurst said, ”Ipswich and the Western Corridor is one of the fastest growing regions in Australia. It is exciting that kids and established Queensland Cup players alike will have a direct link and therefore pathway to the NRL while remaining at home.”

The "imports" you speak of are necessary so as we as a club hit the ground running on the field. We have learnt from past mistakes of now defunt franchises and in the short term will stock pile our top 35 man squad with ideally 25 NRL (or comparable i.e. Super League) players. We are not in the fortunate position to sit idle for a few years waiting on our juniors to develope in to fullly fledged NRL ready first grade stars as we as a club suffer on the field. That does the club no good on or off the field, it is falling in to old habits that have led to past failures. The plan we have in place will see locals develop in to NRL stars though patience during the first couple of seasons is required. The professional game will not wait for a new NRL club, it is imperative for us as a club to put our best foot forward on the field just as we have done off it since getting the 16th license. Rest assured, former Wests Tiger Anthony Laffranchi will fly the flag for the area ;-)

The "good" that the Gold Coast brings to the Gold Coast in terms of local player developement both at junior and senior level will be seen annually and the results will be better each and every year as well over time.

We will have our locals representing the area with pride in time, for the moment, those who sign with the club are here to blaze a plath for the youngsters aspiring to wear the Titans jersey. Look out for kids like Chris Sandow, Shannon Walker, Matt Austin and the like - they will be locals who will be spoken about in the future.

I am also interested in this "getting more room under the cap for start up costs" comment ... we, like the other 15 NRL clubs, will have to come in under the $4.0M. That is my understanding, if there is more to it, love to read more on this concession. I will source an answer tomorrow.

Jordan

Juniors
Very disapointed he's gone. I blame the Cowboys administration. Everyone is leaving and we're falling apart once again.

nqboy

First Grade
Forget centre, he's a back-rower. Not particularly fast, but thee's plenty of him and he is difficult to tackle.

aussies1st

Staff member
Cowboys2006 said:
FEC and cowboys havent signed nobody WTF!! thye got have atleast 1.3 1.5 million Free lol

Too bad there isn't any decent players to get with that cash :)

James_Hardie

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Are the GC planning on using any locals? They've now signed 18 players. Surely 5 spotsof the 25 man squad should be filled by local juniors?

I supported their inclusion, but that was on the proviso they'd be good for the game. I don't really see how this is true if they simply fill their side with imports.

I'm pretty sure Luke O'Dwyer is a GC junior, and i think there are a couple more players originally from up that way signed up also..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
he's a good signing for the titans. they amy take a while to gel but I think they can really be effective in their first season, simialrly to the storm in their first season

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Serious question, are the Titans exempted from the salary cap or something for the inaugural year? They surely are the NRL's very own Chelsea.

Razor

Coach
Serious question, are the Titans exempted from the salary cap or something for the inaugural year? They surely are the NRL's very own Chelsea.

Their squad strength wouldn't be in the top 8 at the moment, so if you think the Gold Coast are over the cap on the players they've signed, then so are at least 8 other clubs.

DeeGan

Bench
bigdogsgottaeat said:

From General Manager Ian Buchanan when speaking to him today:

"We [Gold Coast Titans] get no concessions, no exemptions. We get treated the same as if we had been around for 100 years. If we take it a step further and say hypothetically they did give us concessions/exemptions and we went really well in the first couple of years then the NRL would cop a lot of blame fro favouring us"

I hope we have put an end to that - might care to research such a claim [re: concessions] before posting.

The Gold Coast Titans are now the "NRL's very own Chelsea" :lol:

We have not kicked a ball as yet though we are compared to the new Premiere League powerhouse! What a compliment ... unfortunately, the comment is made given we are out there buying players to fill our top 25 ...

I have covered it in another post. It is rather absurd to think that the Titans wouldn't be active on the open market when trying to put together a competitive team on the field to match that of the team off it. It is naive to think we were going to come in to the NRL competition filling the team with Gold Coast bases QLD Cup players to take on the best rugby league competition in the world [refer back to post earlier in the thread].

The Gold Coast are providing a pathway to the NRL for local juniors, they are putting a lot of time and money in to developing the grass roots which will ultimately benefit from 5-10 years down the track.