What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans sign Mathers

Dakink

Bench
From http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?p=52836#post52836

Titans sign UK fullback Mathers to NRL
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:12 PM

The Gold Coast Titans have signed England fullback Richie Mathers to a two-year NRL deal following six months of negotiations.

The 22-year-old Leeds player requires a knee reconstruction but is expected to be fit to start training with the NRL's new franchise in November.

Mathers will join Great Britain winger Brian Carney as the Titans' second player recruited from the English Super League.

Carney has been in tremendous form for Newcastle during his one-year stint before he heads to south-east Queensland.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright and chief executive Michael Searle have been monitoring Mathers' form at Leeds since June last year.

Cartwright said Mathers was a naturally talented footballer who could cover several positions for the Titans.

"He has risen through the ranks at Leeds and has been consistently one of their best," added Cartwright.

"We are not signing and hoping he's a great footballer. We've signed him as a very capable first grader. He knows his way to the tryline and he will be good for us."

The Titans' roster also includes Australian internationals Scott Prince and Luke Bailey and Penrith's livewire five-eighth Preston Campbell.

"I am hugely honoured to be given an opportunity that very few British players get and I am looking forward to getting out there and being part of making the Gold Coast Titans a success," Mathers said in a club statement.

Searle said the club's medical team would monitor Mathers' surgery and rehabilitation program over coming months to ensure he's ready for the Gold Coast's inaugural season.

The off-contract Mathers injured his knee in Leeds' 44-28 loss to Hull earlier this month.

The Titans recently withdrew an offer to Great Britain winger Chev Walker.

Source: AAP

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Interesting.. while i admit i havent seen to much of him and have heard good things i am still a little worried. I think we could have looked a bit closer to home, players like Clint Greenshields, Marshall Chalk, Wade Mckinnon, Steve Turner would be as good in the 1 in my opinion.

Anyway, welcome Richie Mathers!!

Vicious

Bench
Very talented young player. It will be very interesting to see how he goes over here. I would be very interested to know how much the Titans paid for him considering there are fullbacks such as Brent Webb on the open market and perhaps even someone such as Wade McKinnon who you wouldn`t imagine costing too much, but is a very dangerous player all the same. Steve Turner is possibly another talented fullback who you`d think would be looking for an opportunity to play fullback regularly.

Daza_06

Juniors
yeah the Titans should start lookin for some regular cheaper 1st graders now they have already got 4 representative players now (Carney, Mathers, Bailey, Prince). Get some centres and second-rowers and also some local products or QLD Cup players for that reason. That said they have started off well with their recruitment lets just hope Cartwright can do something with this great bunch of talent

JasonE

Bench
GC_Gladiator said:
Interesting.. while i admit i havent seen to much of him and have heard good things i am still a little worried.Anyway, welcome Richie Mathers!!

no need to worry mate, he's a tremendous talent.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Daza_06 said:
yeah the Titans should start lookin for some regular cheaper 1st graders now they have already got 4 representative players now (Carney, Mathers, Bailey, Prince). Get some centres and second-rowers and also some local products or QLD Cup players for that reason. That said they have started off well with their recruitment lets just hope Cartwright can do something with this great bunch of talent
There isnt much need to rely on players from Ipswitch, Tweed Heads, and Burleigh because they will have that crop of talent for such a long time, and there is absolutely no reason to rush them into first grade.
Sure the QLD cup players will get the occasional start in FG, and thats the way it should be IMO.
They should get the first grade experience gradually, not all at once. Just look what happened to the Western Force in the Super 14.

Bullseye

Juniors
He's the best attacking fullback in the SL and has a great career ahead of him.

He's got a few rough edges but has the potential to be Test quality. Good on him for taking the plunge.