What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays Hooker

Question:
Does the modern day Hooker have to be a stocky guy?

I ask because of our debarkle with the Halves.

Regardless of where a half is located he'll get smashed just as hard if a half became a hooker wouldn't he?

Could Hornby play Hooker ?

Would his frame handle it ?

A rake doesn't necissarily have to be stocky. He does need a bit of muscle on him to tackle the big boys though. Someone like Linchon Withers is a little wirery guy and plays quite solidly at hooker. Cameron Smith is also someone I wouldn't call stocky. A dickhead, but not stocky.

watatank

Coach
Well they don't have to be stocky per se, but they will have to be able to withstand the rigours of defending in the middle of the ruck.

watatank

Coach
We have an apt dummy half in Priddis anyway, he will fit right in. He brings smarts, experience, strong dummy half running and passing game and solid defence around the ruck. Only thing is he doesn't have a kicking game and he's not a long term option...he was also out for a bit last year too so there's the risk of injury (not a big deal but a factor nonetheless). Fepuleai does have all these attributes but he needs to prove himself in NSW Cup for a year at least IMO

Hornby's attacking prowess is limited from halfback and even hooker anyway, I would never look to move him there unless there were a few injuries (even then it's pushing it). He is good at playing certain roles but he's not that good there. Instigating attacking movements has never been his strong point, he has always played his best feeding off everyone else and the best place to do that is from fullback. He wouldn't be a bad option from hooker but you'd lose what he offers from other positions and also Priddis also becomes a waste.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
A rake doesn't necissarily have to be stocky. He does need a bit of muscle on him to tackle the big boys though. Someone like Linchon Withers is a little wirery guy and plays quite solidly at hooker. Cameron Smith is also someone I wouldn't call stocky. A dickhead, but not stocky.
so it helps to be a dick head to play hooker:shock:

dubopov

Coach
A hooker needs to be able to pass (both sides of the ruck), tackle effectively and dart from dummy half to catch defenders napping. Hornby 0/3.

dubopov

Coach
watatank .. what does *can* mean ?? Do I need to put it more simply ?? Hornby would be a f**king useless hooker.

watatank

Coach
Well he could do a decent job...he'd be as good a hooker as say Dean Young, maybe better than him as he is a bit sharper. But it's a pointless exercise putting him there though when hooker is probably his third or fourth best position, when he is the third or fourth best choice at hooker and he's more important to us in other areas.

dubopov

Coach
fair enough .. I reckon he's not a hooker .. and would be the 5th choice fullback at best. Maybe Bennett wants him at half, Shane Perry won a Premiership.

watatank

Coach
fair enough .. I reckon he's not a hooker .. and would be the 5th choice fullback at best. Maybe Bennett wants him at half, Shane Perry won a Premiership.

I don't think he is one either but he could do the job if asked to...like he does when he fills in the halves.

I know people will disagree but I think his best position and the one he would be most useful to the team is fullback although if Head breaks down again that's going to force Hornby back there.

Godz Illa

Coach
He played there, albeit not for very long, in Origin 1 this year and did a good job. But yeah, he's more valuable to us in other positions, notably halfback where I believe he is underrated. With a decent dummy half alongside him he has proven to be good to very good in the number 7 - seasons 2005, 06 and big portions of 08 attest to that.

btw Shellharbour have signed Marty Mitchell, hooker for the NSW Cup-winning Wentworthville side last year. Another option down the line for us perhaps, and at the very least an improvement on Ben Ellis.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Hookers also need to be creative .. Another strike out for Hornby ... He is solid in a set play situation but a toddler with a crayon is more creative.

dragonfan1

Juniors
Halfbacks commonly play like hookers nowadays. So maybe not. But hookers are fowards and halbacks are not so I don't know.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Helps if your hooker looks like this.

en-seksi-vucutlu-yildizlar-8_b.jpg