What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney's first day at the Roosters

Dave Q

Coach
New club, new people and different influences.

Smith told the eels louts what they could do with their drinking culture, so I doubt hes going to let Todd play up.

He's spent some time in nowhere-land, we can only hope he has embraced change and keeps moving forward.

Life is not about kicking people when they are down. Thats easy.

Tougher and for people of higher calibre to lift and empower.

So good on the bloosters for having a dig. They know what they up against and they have risen to meet the challenge.

Last edited:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/the-bondi-rescue/2009/10/31/1256835188962.html?page=2

The Bondi rescue
Adrian Proszenko | November 1, 2009
A ROOSTERS contract isn't the only thing Todd Carney inked during his sabbatical.

Carney was sporting a new tattoo on his right arm when he presented himself for induction at Bondi Junction last week.

Fittingly, the words ''carpe diem'' - seize the day - now adorn his toned forearm. But of more interest is the design that accompanies the Latin phrase.

''The koi fish and the dragon,'' Carney explained.

''I read about it on the internet a bit and got it designed when I was away.''

It's a fitting motif. According to Chinese legend: ''Any koi able to climb to the dragon gate along the yellow river will be transformed into a dragon.'' As such, the koi represents lofty goals and dreams, and the tattoo is also associated with lifelong good fortune.

Some would argue that Todd Carney received his share of good luck when the Roosters signed him. It appeared a strange move for a club out of control, an outfit plagued by bashings and benders - incidents that left a stain not only on the club but also the floor of a Terrigal Hotel corridor.

And how does the club react to all this? What action does management take to show this will no longer be tolerated? Who does it turn to as the next-big name recruit?

Todd Carney - a man with a rap sheet as long as his arm and the tattoos that adorn it.

However, Carney is adamant he will not add to the long list of Roosters atrocities.

''It's not that I'm a different person; I've just grown up,'' he said.

''It's my last chance, my last opportunity. It's all up to me.

''There's no warnings for me, no nothing.

''My name's never going to go back to perfect because of what's happened.

''I just want to thank the Roosters for bringing me here. They took a real big punt on me.

''I'm sure there's plenty of people out there wanting me to stuff up and betting that I'll stuff up.

''For me, I'm not out there to prove them wrong; I'm out to prove to myself and the club where I'm at.

''They've done the right thing by me and I'm going to do the right thing by them.''

Carney has had plenty of time to think about his indiscretions. It will be about 18 months between NRL matches if he's able to displace Mitchell Pearce or Braith Anasta in the halves in time for the first whistle of 2010.

The 23-year-old has spent his sabbatical playing bush footy for Atherton in far north Queensland and pulling beers at the local, the Barron Valley Hotel. He was a big name in a small town. The local girls flirted with him and some of the footballers wanted to fight him.

However, Carney managed, for the most part, to stay out of harm's way. There are fewer opportunities to find trouble when you're working 30 hours a week before you even get to training. Not that he has sworn off the demon drink altogether.

''Not as yet,'' he replied when quizzed about slapping a booze ban on himself.

''When something like that comes out [in the media] you can't even have a quiet beer. That would get written up in the papers.''

Carney's mother, Leanne, spent extended periods in Atherton to ensure he stayed out of trouble. She has since moved back to her home town of Goulburn. In her absence, her son will set up his new life in Maroubra, where he will flat with former Canberra teammate and fellow Roosters recruit Phil Graham.

Although he owns a property in Homebush - as well as another in Canberra - Carney has never lived in Sydney. Plonking a man with well-documented drinking problems in the heart of Sin City appears as hare-brained as putting a man with well-documented drinking problems behind a bar. However, the club and the player are confident history will not repeat itself.

''I don't want to put myself into that situation,'' Carney said. ''I've put some restrictions on myself, but that's just on my behalf. I'm willing to abide by anything [the Roosters] put in place.

''I don't have much to fall back on. It's my last chance and my last chance only.

''I'd lose a lot.''

The precociously talented half could rarely bring himself to watch an NRL game on television during his time in purgatory. That's what happens when you're mentioned as an Origin bolter one minute and playing bush footy the next. But at no stage did Carney think about tossing it all in.

''Obviously there have been times when I've doubted myself, if I could come back and be at the level I was at,'' he said.

''That's the big thing about the Roosters: they believe that I can.

''I've got to also believe in myself to do it.

''Now I'm back, we start training on Monday and I'll give it my best shot to do that.

''You still have doubts about it but there was never a time where I was going to pull the pin and call it quits.

''I'm only 23 and a lot of players don't make their debut until they're 23 or a bit older.

''I feel I've still got a bit to offer. It will take a bit of time but I'm up for the challenge.''

Carney is bracing for a backlash from Raiders supporters. But perhaps the more interesting reaction will be that of long-suffering Roosters fans. How will they respond when another big name with baggage enters the fold?

Carney has just one message for them.

''The only thing I can say to the supporters is give me a go, like the club has,'' he said. ''I'll do the right thing.''

Only time will tell. Whether he ever gets to ink a premiership tattoo to go with the koi and the dragon also remains to be seen. But for now there's only one thing on Carney's mind.

''Hopefully I can fit into the 17 somewhere,'' he said.

''If it was front row I'd take that because I just want to be back in the NRL.''

This kid won't even be able to fart without it making the front page. Bec and co are going to have photographers stationed all over the eastern suburbs. There's going to be some hurdles placed in front of him - that's for sure.

Last edited:

Tom Ace

Bench
Smart move moving in with Graham. I wonder if that's part of the reason why we got him.

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah I can understand the Raiders being dissapointed, but they had enough self-respect to let him go.

And Carney now has to find the self-respect to dig deep and kick on.

Words mean jack.

CJG 182

Juniors
He's already showing signs of improving off field, breaking up a fight a week or two ago when he was down in Canberra as well as staying well behaved from what I saw.

Lambretta

First Grade
i love this build him up to knock him down routine by the tele

Yeah you do get the impression they will absolutely crucify him if he steps out of line and they're just waiting for him to do it.

Personally I think it's not a matter of "if" with Todd, it's more a matter of when. I get the feeling he will f**k up, in spite of all the lessons - there's something wrong with the kids wiring and in spite of all his good intentions he will let his guard down and it will be game, set and match on his footballing career.

The positive from this year off is that he learned to pull a pint up in Atherton, so at least he's got a trade to fall back on.

Failing that garbo might be another avenue worth pursuing.

I pray to the footballing gods that I'm 100% wrong and dribbling sh*t - and I hold you lot to remind me of this post in 5 years time when he's Roosters captain, player of the season, Dally M winner and Golden boot awardee.

Dave Q

Coach
He's been pulling beers and he has an alco problem?

Thats a tough gig.

If he can accomplish that, hes ready for another chance.

The game is full of no-hoper fuglys who sh*t on it and themselves in the process.

And of late, the roosters have had more than their fair share.

Maybe he will come to symbolise the forces of goodness and righteousness.

The road is long and difficult, but the rewards are great.

Timbo

Staff member
For his own sake, I hope he can pull it together.

I seriously doubt he will though. This is a guy that threw away a $350,000 contract with us because we wanted him to go on a booze ban and he refused.

He has an alcohol problem. A serious one. And he's already out there saying he won't be off the grog this year. Brian Smith isn't going to change that, because Carney has shown a total unwillingness to change. If Smith gives him an ultimatum, his contract or the door, well he got that same one in Canberra - and he chose the door.

He couldn't handle this problem in Canberra ffs. There's nowhere to go most of the time in Canberra! Imagine how he'll cope when he can be hitting up the Coogee Bay or Ravesi's or wherever whenever.

I give him ten weeks. I don't say this out of malice - I've just heard the 'I've changed' sob story from him too many times.

Dave Q

Coach
For his own sake, I hope he can pull it together.

I seriously doubt he will though. This is a guy that threw away a $350,000 contract with us because we wanted him to go on a booze ban and he refused.

He has an alcohol problem. A serious one. And he's already out there saying he won't be off the grog this year. Brian Smith isn't going to change that, because Carney has shown a total unwillingness to change. If Smith gives him an ultimatum, his contract or the door, well he got that same one in Canberra - and he chose the door.

He couldn't handle this problem in Canberra ffs. There's nowhere to go most of the time in Canberra! Imagine how he'll cope when he can be hitting up the Coogee Bay or Ravesi's or wherever whenever.

I give him ten weeks. I don't say this out of malice - I've just heard the 'I've changed' sob story from him too many times.

No question that the Canberra position is entirely understandable and that they gave him the benefit of the doubt many times.

Finally they stood up to him and want nothing to do with him.

But I think the Roosters will want to protect their investment pretty closely and he will be mixing in with a lot of new blokes. I am sure he will have regular and very professional counselling.

He will definately be on the outer if he turns back into the natural grog-monster that he is.

He may need some operant conditioning or drugs that reduce his enjoyment of the partaking. If he associates alcohol with poison, then his mind is not going to contemplate it.

There is a sense of desepration about the Roosters picking him up, but hes done some hard labour now and faced some demons.

If he fails, hes just another dickhead the game can do without.

But all that aside, he is entitled to just one more go at it.

I hope he can prove his critics wrong, come to terms with his problems and one day I hope he pays some homage to the Raiders who did so much for him.

Alcohol abuse is rampant in this society, we should treat his condition as a medical problem, not just boneless stupidity.

As a society we need to do more to keep young people off the grog so these problems are minimised.

We might have to consider raising the legal age to 21, we could ban advertising in the media, we can limit licences we issue, we can limit amounts shops are able to sell, we can reduce the amount of alcohol in standard beers. Fines just punish poor people. We can counsel and treat people instead.

We would save billions of dollars on forgone crime, medical costs and property damage. Not to mention, less family-related violence

And we may have less Todd Carneys and Greg Birds.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Alcohol abuse is rampant in this society, we should treat his condition as a medical problem, not just boneless stupidity.

We could, but that would be ignoring the real cause of the problem. Boneless stupidity.

As a society we need to do more to keep young people off the grog so these problems are minimised.

We might have to consider raising the legal age to 21, we could ban advertising in the media, we can limit licences we issue, we can limit amounts shops are able to sell, we can reduce the amount of alcohol in standard beers. Fines just punish poor people. We can counsel and treat people instead.
Raising the legal age to 21 would be pointless. Most people start drinking at 15-17 anyway. Won't change.

Dave Q

Coach
We could, but that would be ignoring the real cause of the problem. Boneless stupidity.

Raising the legal age to 21 would be pointless. Most people start drinking at 15-17 anyway. Won't change.

Alcohol helps boneless stupidity along.

No, most people do not start drinking regularly at 15-17.

When they hit 18, they start going out a lot, start drinking for leisure (with little or no constraints) and then the ugly pattern of alcoholism sets in. Even then, their bodies are still developing and they are not ready for the onslaught.

But I acknowledge that some people have their first and semi-regular drinks at these tender ages. Some of them kick on to be grog-monsters.
Thats why we need tougher laws about access to alcohol and better compliance monitoring. Parents and carers need to take more responsibility and interest in their kids and we need to afford them that opportunity.

At school we are busy teaching kids maths, science and english when what they really need are broader life-skills, jobs and hope for their future.

We probably need a longer school day too... but with minmal or no homework.

aussies1st

Staff member
BRIAN SMITH has dropped his first bombshell as coach of the Sydney Roosters, revealing that controversial recruit Todd Carney is poised to play fullback in 2010.

In his first interview since taking over at Bondi Junction, Smith indicated Carney could take over the custodian role most recently shared between former Golden Boot winner Anthony Minichiello and New Zealand international Sam Perrett.

''I've talked with coaches, in particular [recruitment manager] Peter O'Sullivan, and he suggested we might have a look at Toddy at fullback and let him practice there in the off-season,'' Smith said yesterday. ''That's one of the things that have come up. Braith [Anasta] has played at lock and a bit of fullback. They are probably the two that are the most flexible and versatile - as well as being amongst the two most important - players in our group.

''It's something we need to sort. We may not sort it by saying, 'This is how it will be for the rest of the year', but it could be a weapon we use as we go on, to use their versatility. A lot of it will hang on if Toddy adapts and has the fullback thing covered.

''A bit of it will depend on how 'Mini' goes and what he's open to. By the way, he looks fantastic at the moment. If he's on song for the early part of the season, we'll look at him playing there again as well. He's done it big time in the past. Whether he's up for that, and what is best for the team, will unfold as we practice and play some pre-season games.''

Carney has alternated between the halfback and five-eighth roles throughout an interrupted career but has almost no experience in the No.1 jersey. However, Smith's ploy would allow Anasta and Mitchell Pearce to remain in the halves, while Minichiello could be shifted to the wing.

''It's possible,'' Smith said. ''I saw one of the games [Minichiello] played last season … on the wing and he was awesome. That's what he was initially, a winger. They're the two positions I'd like him in most. In pre-season we'll look at all that.''

Carney said he would be happy to play ''anywhere in the 17'' in order to revive his career. ''If it was front row, I'd take that because I just want to be back in the NRL,'' he said.

Smith addressed his troops for the first time at orientation last week. There were two clear messages - that off-field misbehaviour will not be tolerated, and that any talk of their disastrous wooden spoon season was banned.

''There is a mini in-house rule: there is no reference to 2009,'' Smith said. ''There's not much to be gained by looking back. I'm not wanting it to be a focus. It's not about the horribilities - if that's a word - of 2009 or of any other time earlier in their life.

''Anything that was some sort of an issue was dealt with by individual players and head coach [at orientation]. We're now all looking ahead.''

The Roosters lurched from one crisis to another last season. Smith, a noted disciplinarian, made it clear that a repeat of that behaviour would not be tolerated.

''I'm going to be extremely tough on anything that we, as a staff, see as a disruption to our momentum,'' Smith said. ''Quality of performance in training is all we can do until mid-March. That's the only thing we can do right now. We can't mess it up. So my job is, if I see anybody messing it up, to right that as quickly as possible.''

There are still lingering questions about the make-up of Smith's squad for 2010. Former Dragons prop Jason Ryles is expected to officially join the Roosters in coming days. However, the future of Willie Mason remains unclear. Asked about Mason, who is in Japan exploring potential rugby deals, Smith said: ''Right now, all I want to say about that is that Willie is exploring other opportunities.

''When he's done that and all of that is resolved, after that - not before or during that - I'll talk about it and give you some answers on that.''

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...1257247660390.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Random place to put him, I don't know why your coaches don't rate Perrett at fullback. Carney's best position is 5/8 which would allow Anasta to go to lock.

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...1257247660390.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Random place to put him, I don't know why your coaches don't rate Perrett at fullback. Carney's best position is 5/8 which would allow Anasta to go to lock.

ha, and people in the teams thread said I was on crack....

It isn't about not rating Perrett, its about fitting both Carney and Anasta in the side. Anasta could be moved to lock, but people seem to think he lacks the defensive workrate to make a good lock, and one of the Aubusson brothers would be a better fit.